Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 17, 2014, 09:35 AM   #776
nathanjbrown
macrumors regular

I've posted in this thread before. I now own a 128GB iPad Air and it exhibits exactly the same defects with regard to video playback in Apple's Videos app. Drives me crazy. I imagine we'll never see a fix for this until Apple adopts OLED display tech. Oh well!
nathanjbrown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:01 AM   #777
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjbrown View Post
I've posted in this thread before. I now own a 128GB iPad Air and it exhibits exactly the same defects with regard to video playback in Apple's Videos app. Drives me crazy. I imagine we'll never see a fix for this until Apple adopts OLED display tech. Oh well!
It's not exactly the same, but yes - the iPad Air does exhibit some fluctuations of contrast during movie playback. It's a shame. I experience it.
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2014, 02:43 PM   #778
runormal
macrumors newbie

I have started noticing it too when watching iTunes videos on my Air - it can be very distracting when watching movies at night.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 02:45 PM   #779
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by runormal View Post
I have started noticing it too when watching iTunes videos on my Air - it can be very distracting when watching movies at night.
Yeah it's definitely a bit of a bummer. It's nowhere (and I mean NOWHERE) near as bad as the iPad 4's handling of video in iOS 6 (can't speak for iOS 7 with iPad 4 though...), but it's certainly there. At least Apple has tweaked it somewhat, though quite frankly I wish they'd left well enough alone from the very beginning...
Old May 3, 2014, 06:46 AM   #780
curropb
macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

This issue still persists on iOS 7.1.1 (iPad Air).

It's very noticeable on Mctube app, Yomvi (Spanish Netflix) Safari's videos full screen, and another video apps...

It's very annoying. The brightness oscillates when the scenes are darkness, and sometimes the colors seem "washed".

I have tested the same video in several iPads and this issue is common to all of them!

The only workaround is activate the "Assistive Touch Control", if you turn it to ON, the display issue disappears. So this is a software issue. It's incredible why Apple doesn't address this old issue...

Sorry for my english.

Last edited by curropb; May 4, 2014 at 06:12 PM.
curropb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014, 06:15 PM   #781
curropb
macrumors newbie

Anybody with another workaround?

I'm not going to go to a Apple Store to change my iPad for another one and the new one surely has the same issue...
Old May 4, 2014, 06:29 PM   #782
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by curropb View Post
Anybody with another workaround?

I'm not going to go to a Apple Store to change my iPad for another one and the new one surely has the same issue...
There's nothing we can do about it. Apple did tweak the software from iPad 4 to iPad Air, but if you notice it, sorry. I know I do, but I just deal with it because it's not as bad as it once was.

Apple just don't seem interested in just stopping the faux contrast enhancer which does nothing but annoy the end user. It really feels like a solution looking for a problem.

Sorry.
Old May 6, 2014, 01:29 AM   #783
pk7
macrumors 6502

I haven't noticed any "pumping" but occasionally even my iPhone 5s home screen is temporarily washed out immediately after quitting video playback.
pk7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 08:15 AM   #784
curropb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk7 View Post
I haven't noticed any "pumping" but occasionally even my iPhone 5s home screen is temporarily washed out immediately after quitting video playback.
Yes. That is another issue (I think it's relevant with another one).

I can check the same issue with my iPad Air. If you watch a full screen video, when you close it, sometimes (depending on the video) the home screen is washed out for 3-4 seconds (approx). After of this time, the colours get normal...

You should check my workaround => turn on the Assistive Touch Control (Settings, General, Accesibility). The "washed screen" disappear.

So I am sure this is a software issue!!!
Old May 25, 2014, 05:21 AM   #785
alexander2020
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eadfrith View Post
Well only yours apparently.
Mine is perfectly fine too!!!!
alexander2020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad