Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jun 10, 2014, 03:43 PM   #1
joja
macrumors newbie

How to install Mac OS on Macbook Pro with Windows on it

Hi everybody,

So my dilemma is that I got a used MacBook Pro with Windows 7 on it. I though it was installed trough Boot Camp, but when I hold "Option" key on boot I only see Windows partition. I am assuming there is no Mac OS on it. To make my life harder this laptop has Admin password and I dont have it.

I would like to install Mac OS, completly remove Windows 7, but don't know how to go about it. If I need to go and buy Mac OS, I am ok with it.

Please help
joja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 04:29 PM   #2
MCAsan
macrumors 68020

http://www.apple.com/osx/recovery/
iPad Air | Silver | 128GB | WiFi only
MCAsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 04:33 PM   #3
laurihoefs
macrumors 6502a

Which model is your MacBook Pro?

If it's a 2010 or newer model with all firmware upgrades installed, you should be able to restore OS X with Internet Recovery by just holding Cmd + R keys when starting the computer.

If it's an older model, then you need to get OS X on disks or a USB stick. Snow Leopard (10.6) is the last version of Mac OS X available on a disk, Lion (10.7) was available on a USB drive. Mountain Lion (10.8) and Mavericks (10.9) are only available as downloads through Mac App Store.

Check the model of your MacBook Pro, and we'll see how to get OS X on it.
laurihoefs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 04:33 PM   #4
Hieveryone
macrumors 6502

You don't need to buy Mac OS. It is a free download from the app store. What you do need is a bootable drive with Mac OS.

What is a bootable drive?

Essentially it is a USB thumb drive, or any external drive, with Mac OS on it. Right now Mac OS 10.9.3 is the current version.

So you need a USB thumb drive with Mac OS 10.9.3 on it.

You also need the firmware password in all likelyhood.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:06 PM   #5
joja
macrumors newbie

Its Mid 2010 built. I tried to press and hold Command-R but right after boot sound, but it goes directly to Windows boot.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 05:01 AM   #6
maflynn

If cmd-r is not working, your machine does not have a recovery partition on it. In other words you don't have a copy of OSX to install.

I'd look for Snow Leopard on ebay or even Apple (I think they still sell that version).
Old Jun 11, 2014, 05:15 AM   #7
laurihoefs
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by joja View Post
Its Mid 2010 built. I tried to press and hold Command-R but right after boot sound, but it goes directly to Windows boot.
One more thing you can try, is Command + Option + R.

Command + R should start Internet Recovery on a supported computer, if no recovery partition is present. If for some reason this does not happen automatically, Command + Option + R forces Internet Recovery. If this does not work, you'll have to get a copy of OS X on disks or a USB stick.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 09:16 PM   #8
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurihoefs View Post
...If for some reason this does not happen automatically, Command + Option + R forces Internet Recovery...
This requires the newest firmware updates:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4904

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 01:07 AM   #9
laurihoefs
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
This requires the newest firmware updates:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4904
Yes, like stated earlier, and which supposedly are not installed, if the MBP has been running Windows for a while. But IMHO it's still worth a try, as there's always a chance the firmware has been updated.

If the firmware is old, getting Snow Leopard disks would be the way to go. Does Apple still sell SNow Leopard? AFAIK they still did a while ago, if you gave the customer service a call.

Last edited by laurihoefs; Jun 12, 2014 at 01:14 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 07:29 AM   #10
chrfr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurihoefs View Post
If the firmware is old, getting Snow Leopard disks would be the way to go. Does Apple still sell SNow Leopard? AFAIK they still did a while ago, if you gave the customer service a call.
Apple does still sell Snow Leopard but the retail version will not boot this computer. It's necessary to call Applecare (not the Apple Store) to buy the proper discs for this one.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:29 PM   #11
joja
macrumors newbie

Hi. So only way to get Snow Leopard is to order it from online Apple Store, which I did 2 days ago, and it arrived today. I will try to install it tonight. I am not sure how to boot from the disk, but ill let you know how it goes.

Option + R should show me different option to boot from
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:34 PM   #12
chrfr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Hi. So only way to get Snow Leopard is to order it from online Apple Store, which I did 2 days ago, and it arrived today. I will try to install it tonight. I am not sure how to boot from the disk, but ill let you know how it goes.

Option + R should show me different option to boot from
As I said in my post, the retail disc from the Apple Store will not work with this computer. You need to call Applecare to get the proper one.
Normally you would put the DVD in the computer and hold the C key as it starts, but again, with the Apple Store disc, the computer won't start up properly.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:44 PM   #13
joja
macrumors newbie

Stuck again. Now that i have OS Disk. I hold Option key on start up, and i get two options:

1. Windows boot
2. Mac OS Install Disk

When I select Install OS Disk, I get to a white screen with Apple logo and it just stays there.

Dont know how to move forward

----------

Just read your post, damn it, well what is difference between OS i purchased and the one from Apple Care?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:49 PM   #14
chrfr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Just read your post, damn it, well what is difference between OS i purchased and the one from Apple Care?
The version of 10.6.3 that came with the 2010 MacBook Pro was a special version made for that computer, because the computer came out after the regular 10.6.3 was released and the regular version doesn't have the right drivers for it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro