Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
This would seem to be a problem with the logic of calling it a Camera Roll. It all started in the real word. You shot a roll of film, it had only the pics you shot, you took it in and developed it and got the prints you wanted. When you put in a new roll you DID NOT have all the previous pictures. It would have made sense (from a machine sense) that there is a pile of all pictures somewhere and then just use pointers for organizing. But something called Camera Roll should only be the pointers to what you recently shot. Then you would move the pointers around to organised folders. You should then have the option to set the camera roll as groups with the same date, or a set quantity, or whatever.

It would just be nice when you opened the Camera Roll to only see what you took in your last session, and not the whole pile you have taken since time began. It would make selecting and moving them to albums a little easier. IMHO
A lot of us agree that how Apple did this is stupid. Resurrecting a thread that is a year and a half old is probably not the best way to express it.

That said…

Jailbreak. Download from Cydia one of the two or three tweaks that fix this and allow you to make it the way it should be. Done.

tommyskypilot

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2016
I made an album just now. I went back to delete the pics from my camera roll but my only option is to "delete everywhere." I want to leave them in the new album I made...
[doublepost=1460881499][/doublepost]Get Photo Vault from the App Store. It's free.

Ribbzy

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2016
Waikato
Why do you want to delete the picture from your camera roll, essentially from the iPhone itself, but not from the album? Isn't that a bit backwards?
As people have photos they don't want other people to see, hence put them in an album and leave the camera roll for mainstream photos. Examples I have an album for nudes of my gf and I but I take a lot of photos at work to show my boss so those are all in camera roll. Unfortunately you have to download all your photos to a computer arrange them in albums there and then sync back to iPhone. Not that smart a phone just great technology.

martinpole

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2016
I ever had similar experience, but I managed to sort it out finally. I suggest you use Secure Eraser, a wonderful tool from RecoveryAdnroid. Run this tool on your computer and plug in your iPhone. Then it will detect your phone data and show you in categories. Just choose the photos and deleted photos from iPhone permanently.

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
I have always hated the way iOS handles albums...I like to keep photos I've taken with the camera in Camera Roll and pictures I've downloaded separate but iOS just dumps them all on the Roll. The best solution I've found so far (besides jailbreaking) is a new utility called Utiful. It lets you create any number of albums and easily MOVE photos back and forth with Camera Roll. It's fast, easy and simple. And no, I am not affiliated with the app in any way.

jeffsgirl1960

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2016
Why do you want to delete the picture from your camera roll, essentially from the iPhone itself, but not from the album? Isn't that a bit backwards?
[doublepost=1476190798][/doublepost]One I move a picture from the camera roll to an album, I don't want it in the camera roll anymore. I grouped them accordingly and now they are easy to find

Mikeyandroid

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2017
Think of your camera roll as the library in iPhoto or music library in iTunes. The albums you create are organized shortcuts to photos in your camera roll. Just like pics in albums in iPhoto or songs in Playlists in iTunes.
[doublepost=1508894838][/doublepost]With android you have the option to copy or move pictures into a folder. In my case, I used to set up 14 folders with 50-60 pictures spread out to them for quick access. The camera roll held a hodgepodge of pictures that I would occasionally scroll through looking for something, no need to folderize them. Unfortunately with iphone I have to keep the pictures in the camera roll as well, don't need them there. Do not have the option as I do with android. Chalk another one up in android's favor. Btw, I only have iphone as my company switched over to it.

Last edited:

Volksy48

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2018
Victoria, Australia
I made an album just now. I went back to delete the pics from my camera roll but my only option is to "delete everywhere." I want to leave them in the new album I made...
There is a great little app called organiser which allows you to import photos into it (into albums of your design) and keep them while deleting them from your camera roll. It also works the other way and can export them back to your camera roll. I have been using it for about three years and never had any problems. It takes a little to learn how to use it but help is always near at hand. Good luck.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
There is a great little app called organiser which allows you to import photos into it (into albums of your design) and keep them while deleting them from your camera roll. It also works the other way and can export them back to your camera roll. I have been using it for about three years and never had any problems. It takes a little to learn how to use it but help is always near at hand. Good luck.
This is an old thread from 2012, but does the option to make photos ‘hidden’ not solve this old problem? It works for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.