Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
a while ago i transferred photos from my camera onto my computer and then synced them to my ipad.

i deleted the photos off my computer. they are now only on my ipad.

i now have new photos i want to transfer from my camera onto the ipad.

if i sync the new photos will it try and erase all the other content ive transferred from before? if so this is a SERIOUS design flaw,.

how do i get around it?

Reactions: retta283

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
a while ago i transferred photos from my camera onto my computer and then synced them to my ipad.

i deleted the photos off my computer. they are now only on my ipad.

i now have new photos i want to transfer from my camera onto the ipad.

if i sync the new photos will it try and erase all the other content ive transferred from before? if so this is a SERIOUS design flaw,.

how do i get around it?

iOS devices are an extension of your computer, a design philosophy started decades ago with things like Palm Pilot.

On the flip side, always back up your documents, photos included, at least on 2 separate eternal devices.

Finally, iOS might transfer lower resolution photos to iOS stuff to save the limited space. Your HDD could have 10x more space then on say iPad. I could never fit half the full resolutions pictures on my iPad.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
No, it should not erase your old pictures. (EDIT* Like the response below says, if you are syncing pictures from you computer again, your originals will be deleted from the iPad since you deleted them after syncing. Install Dropbox first before doing any syncing. If you were importing them from the Camera Kit, your originals on the iPad would not be erased.) But, why would you erase them from your computer? Never. Ever. Do. That. If you lost or broke your iPad, your pictures would be gone forever. Plus your computer has a lot more space for storage than your iPad.

First off, download Dropbox and signup for a new account. It's free. Once you have an account, Dropbox will automatically upload all of your pictures to your Dropbox account every time you open the app. This will insure that all of your pictures will be safe in the event something happens to your iPad or they get erased somehow. (Synced pictures from a computer can't be erased on the iPad last time I checked.)

Last edited:

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
No, it should not erase your old pictures. But, why would you erase them from your computer? Never. Ever. Do. That. If you lost or broke your iPad, your pictures would be gone forever. Plus your computer has a lot more space for storage than your iPad.

First off, download Dropbox and signup for a new account. It's free. Once you have an account, Dropbox will automatically upload all of your pictures to your Dropbox account every time you open the app. This will insure that all of your pictures will be safe in the event something happens to your iPad or they get erased somehow. (Synced pictures from a computer can't be erased on the iPad last time I checked.)
Great response and solid advice.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

how do i get around it?

It's not a design flaw it's a user flaw. Or at least a potential one.

The photos in your camera roll are not affected by syncing. Doing a sync doesn't erase them or import them. So if these old photos are still in your camera roll they are fine.

Now if you are saying that you imported them, loaded them in iPhoto or a folder of photos and synced them back to the iPad in the regular photo library and then removed them from the computer, yes the next sync will delete them. Because the act of syncing is to keep your collections identical with the computer as the master of the action in the case of photos. If you removed a photo from the computer the system assumes that you did this because you don't want the photo and it will remove it from everything.

That this is the way the system works isn't a design error so much as you deleting the photos from your computer before fully understanding the system is a user one. You should have asked before dumping the computer copies. Now the best you can do is email them back to yourself or, if your computer can read and import from photo stream, try putting them in photo stream and get them back to the computer for safe keeping.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010

The photos in your camera roll are not affected by syncing. Doing a sync doesn't erase them or import them. So if these old photos are still in your camera roll they are fine.

Now if you are saying that you imported them, loaded them in iPhoto or a folder of photos and synced them back to the iPad in the regular photo library and then removed them from the computer, yes the next sync will delete them. Because the act of syncing is to keep your collections identical with the computer as the master of the action in the case of photos. If you removed a photo from the computer the system assumes that you did this because you don't want the photo and it will remove it from everything.

That this is the way the system works isn't a design error so much as you deleting the photos from your computer before fully understanding the system is a user one. You should have asked before dumping the computer copies. Now the best you can do is email them back to yourself or, if your computer can read and import from photo stream, try putting them in photo stream and get them back to the computer for safe keeping.

This is why I suggested Dropbox. It's the safest and most error free way to save your images.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This is why I suggested Dropbox. It's the safest and most error free way to save your images.

Hardly. The safest and more error free way is to plug it into a computer with an understanding of how the system works (rather than calling it a design flaw when you either don't understand or don't like the way it works)

Anything that goes over the Internet has a greater potential for error, corruption or having the server on the other end crash when there might be a backup or there might not. Which makes over the air by its nature never better than local.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Hardly. The safest and more error free way is to plug it into a computer with an understanding of how the system works (rather than calling it a design flaw when you either don't understand or don't like the way it works)

Anything that goes over the Internet has a greater potential for error, corruption or having the server on the other end crash when there might be a backup or there might not. Which makes over the air by its nature never better than local.

Sure, I always suggest going local if possible. But like you said, the user has to have "an understanding of how the system works". With Dropbox, you don't. You just open the app and it uploads your images. There isn't anything you need to understand. While you and I might be tech savy, not all users are.

Since the user deleted the originals, you suggested emailing them back, which is crazy if you have more than a few images, or using PhotoStream. The last time I checked, both email and PhotoStream are also online and not local. In this user's issue, Dropbox will be the easiest and most error free way. Once the images are all on Dropbox, which DP does without any user input other than opening the app, the user could then easily move all of them to a local folder. Much easier than trying to use PhotoStream or emailing images a few a time.

gousuddin

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2018

Its a user flaw? Are you saying Android, Windows and other OS are having a design flaw by allowing to copy photos from computer to phone and again allowing them to copy other photos without affecting the current one? If you have noticed iTunes does actually physically copy photos to the phone space. Computer has more space and users would like to keep things in phone which are of prime importance and rest can be left in computer. Now for the sake of so called design of Apple I have to create a separate folder for iPhone, iPod, iPad and duplicate the photos in my computer so that the iPhone photos are not getting deleted. I am forced to waste my computer resources for the sake of design of Apple. The term Sync works where the resources are stored in one place but accessed at other places on demand. This design of Apple only reflects their EGO not design.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Its a user flaw? Are you saying Android, Windows and other OS are having a design flaw by allowing to copy photos from computer to phone and again allowing them to copy other photos without affecting the current one? If you have noticed iTunes does actually physically copy photos to the phone space. Computer has more space and users would like to keep things in phone which are of prime importance and rest can be left in computer.

first off this is a ages old thread. perhaps you should learn to note that before you jump in. because nothing works the way that it did went this was a current discussion.

and yes it was a user error. what Android or whatever does is not an issue. the issue was and still is the user not bothering to learn how a system works when using it. that is not Apple, that's on you and him. get over your own ego

Reactions: d.o.p.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.