Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

View Poll Results: Happy Mini owner switch back to iPad 5 if its the same weight?
switch to light weight iPad 5 18 29.51%
Stay with the mini 43 70.49%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:42 PM   #1
jqc
macrumors member

Happy iPad Mini owners, switch back to next 9.7 iPad if same weight?

Just curious, how many happy ipad mini owners (of which i am 1) would switch back to iPad 5 it it got close to the same weight as the current mini?

For me, I switched mainly for the weight. The smaller form factor is nice but its not small enough to fit in most jacket pocket pockets so you most people will have to use a bag anyway. In that case 9.7 v.s 7.9 doesnt make a ton of difference...so why not have the extra screen real estate?

Of course if that happens ipad mini 2 should be even MORE lighter, but maybe at that point its worth it for the bigger screen.

Thought?
jqc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:43 PM   #2
danpass
macrumors 68020

<--- staying with the Mini form factor
danpass is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:52 PM   #3
flavr
macrumors 6502

Id rather have my mini non retina than a lighter revised full sized iPad...I prefer the mini
flavr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:54 PM   #4
ME Nick
macrumors member

Stick with the Mini.
Form Factor, doesn't feel like I am holding a display in my face.
ME Nick is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:03 PM   #5
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

I prefer the smaller form factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqc View Post
Happy iPad Mini owners, switch back to next 9.7 iPad if same weight?
"Switching back" implies that Mini owners started with the 9.7. I never liked the size of the 9.7 and so I didn't buy an iPad until the Mini came out.

For those who prefer the larger size, I'd be really surprised if many of them switched to iPad Mini just because of a roughly 10% increase in size and weight. That's a very drastic change in screen size and resolution compared to a small change in size/weight.
ActionableMango is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:29 PM   #6
costabunny
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to costabunny
for me its the size (IT DOES MATTER AFTER ALL)

seriously, I love the size of the mini. perfect for my uses (reading and netflix) when I am at work. As I work in my car I needed it small and light to easily store when doing fares.

If I had the money I would like a lightweight 10inch iPad for in the house, but alas thats noway gonna happen.

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
costabunny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:49 PM   #7
maflynn

The weight is not the reason I bought the mini, its the form factor. In fact I may go out on a limb and guess that many if not most mini owners purchased it because of the size not the weight.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Night Spring
macrumors G3

I'd have to try out the form factor to be sure, but I suspect that if the 9.7 iPad weighed the same as the current mini, I'd go back to using just the 9.7 iPad. But then, I'm not sure I count as a "happy" mini owner. I find the mini convenient for carrying outside the house, but I've always prefered the larger size screen.
Night Spring is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:58 PM   #9
cruzmisl
macrumors regular

While weight is a huge factor, I realize now that I simply don't enjoy a massive tablet anymore. The mini is the right size.
cruzmisl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:27 PM   #10
LaurieAnn
macrumors regular

No because I can now hold a glass of wine in my left hand while actively using the Mini in my right hand at the same time.

I haven't used our iPad2 since I picked up the Mini last week.
LaurieAnn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:30 PM   #11
Piccio
macrumors member

I'm so happy of my Mini but I'm interested in the iPad 5 too.

But it must have the same form factor, and the lowest weight as possibile to convince me to switch to the iPad 5 or I will wait the Mini 2 to upgrade.
Piccio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:43 PM   #12
ditzy
macrumors 65816

I would probably switch but I'm not sure that this is possible, and if it was wouldn't the mini get lighter too? In which case I'd stay with mini.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:02 PM   #13
irnchriz
macrumors 6502a

Got both already, will get the 5th gen if it has must have features. For myself weight and form factor are non issues and I have uses for both sizes at present.

The mini is good for browsing and reading, but the retina is indispensable for remote admin work.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:09 PM   #14
GBR
macrumors regular

The only thing worth upgrading to from the current mini is when they have a retina mini. The form factor of the mini makes it infinitely more useful than the standard iPad. I've had every version of iPad, and always wanted to be able to bring it with me but it was just too big. Now with the mini it's soooo much more portable, it even fits in the pockets of several of my jackets.

A retina mini would be the be all end all of tablets IMHO.
15" MacBook Pro Retina & 27" Thunderbolt Display
GBR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:21 PM   #15
TyPod
macrumors 68000

I look to keep my mini for quite some time and prefer this size over the larger iPad.
TyPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:42 PM   #16
akdj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post
Got both already, will get the 5th gen if it has must have features. For myself weight and form factor are non issues and I have uses for both sizes at present.

The mini is good for browsing and reading, but the retina is indispensable for remote admin work.
Right with ya. I'll always have a use for both. I enjoy both form factors for different reasons. I didn't respond to the poll as I'm a daily user of both iPads. The mini and the 4. We also use the regular iPads for our business and 'family room' entertainment.

That said....if I absolutely HAD to get rid of one or the other, I'd keep the iPad 'Major'. It would be awfully hard to give up the mini though. We love ours! I'm fine with the bulk of the bigger iPad assuming they continue to put this type of power under the hood. The iPad 4 is getting very close to a competent laptop replacement. We often leave the MacBook Airs and Pros at home these days because of the convenience, power and app/software selection on the iPad.

J
akdj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:54 PM   #17
Kadin
macrumors 6502a

I'd stay with my Mini. As much as I can appreciate Retina, it's not in any way a necessity for me. Size is perfect...
Kadin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:28 PM   #18
smileyface
macrumors member

I chose the ipad4 but I do see the appeal of the mini and it's here to stay.In Asia,the mini is sold out.In Hong Kong,you see people walking or standing around while using their mini and on public transport.You can't do that with the 9.7,at least not comfortably.You can hold the mini quite comfortably with one hand but the screen size looks way bigger than the 7in offerings.

I use my ipad4 as a second laptop around the house so I enjoy the larger display.There is no debate that a larger display is nicer to use.I am hoping that Apple will make a bigger ipad while trimming the weight.
smileyface is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:19 AM   #19
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

Doubtful that I would switch back. I already have an iPad 3 and the only time it gets used is when the mini battery runs down or my son uses it because he has no iPad at all. The iPad 5 would have to be as light as the mini I think for me to even consider it.
Ladybug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:00 PM   #20
OTACORB
macrumors 6502a

No switching back, I love the mini's size period!
iPad rMini 32GB White Wifi
OTACORB is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:26 PM   #21
D.T.
macrumors 68020

For me, the most compelling thing about the Mini wasn't the external dimensions, it was the weight.

Now a couple of potential future scenarios that will be interesting for me.

iPad Mini, retina, A6x, same size/weight vs. current iPad4 ... for me, I'd say 70/30 preference toward the Mini.

iPad Mini, retina, vs. iPad "5" that's ~300g ..., I think I'd probably flip it the other way, 30/70
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:48 PM   #22
darkcoupon
macrumors regular

I bought the Mini for several reasons, but mostly because I wasn't entirely sure I wanted/needed an iPad in the first place. I have a Macbook pro for every day computing, a Mac Pro for my work needs, and a Mac Mini as an HTPC. It's hard to justify throwing an ultra-portable device like the iPad into the mix, especially if it doesn't have all of the capabilities of a Macbook Pro, but I got an Apple giftcard from my family so I thought I'd try it out and see if I really have a use for it.

That being said, If I do decide that I NEED an iPad, it would be a toss up as to whether I upgrade to the full size machine or stay with a Mini. The big iPad isn't really that BIG in the first place, it's more of a want vs. need vs. cost decision for me.
darkcoupon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:59 PM   #23
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

Staying with the mini, its not so much weight for me as the regular iPad isn't exactly heavy......but the form factor is what I like. I like how it fits in my hands and how its much easier to type on than a full sized iPad. If I didn't have a laptop as well I'd probably consider going back, but as is I don't think I'd ever go back to full sized.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:21 PM   #24
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816

Mini! Love putting it in my jean Pocket.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:22 PM   #25
beyondthesmile
macrumors 6502a

Not an iPad mini owner YET, but having owned a 9.7 iPad, I prefer the footprint of the Mini. It's not just the weight that's appealing but the footprint as well.
beyondthesmile is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad