Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I was looking at the Western Digital one and Seagate. Is anyone out there using something besides Apple TV, I sold my Mini and no longer have a server to share out my library. I was thinking of running it on an old Windows PC, but everything I use at home is Mac so wouldn't make sense.

I looked at the WD Media device and you can just connect an ext hdd so I am wondering what others are doing.

espressoroast

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Amsterdam
Hi there,

I own the old WDTV and the new WD TV Live. The new one supports USB Hubs, so you can plug in 4 external disks and watch/listen anything. If you hook it to your network, all your disks also become accessible through your computers.

So feature wise, the WD TV Live is pretty great but it can feel rather sluggish at times, occasionally crash and the software is nowhere near the quality something Apple might release.

But I think it still is a more elegant solution that hooking up a computer to your HT system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.