Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:34 AM   #26
TheMTtakeover
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
Decided it bothers me enough when watching darker videos to send it in for repair.
You said you couldn't even tell in normal usage and after running the test you didn't even know there was an issue you HAD TO ASK if there was. If you wouldn't have done that then you wouldn't of had any issues with display. You're being a little ridiculous. I hope you keep sending it back because you aren't going to get one that "passes" your test.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:00 PM   #27
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMTtakeover View Post
You said you couldn't even tell in normal usage and after running the test you didn't even know there was an issue you HAD TO ASK if there was. If you wouldn't have done that then you wouldn't of had any issues with display. You're being a little ridiculous. I hope you keep sending it back because you aren't going to get one that "passes" your test.
That's because I hadn't watched a dark video before doing the test.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:18 PM   #28
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply stunning View Post
When you say repair, do you mean replacement?

I had this problem with my iPad2, and I never returned it. I still have it, but my wife uses, it, and every time I watch a movie/netflix, it bothers me to no end. I wish I had replaced it rite after I got it.

My iPad 3 never had any backlight bleeding. I think that is why it bothered me on the 2, as every time I would see the problem, I knew what it should look like...
Did it have the hues issue too?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:44 PM   #29
simply stunning
macrumors regular

Quote:
Did it have the hues issue too?
Not positive that I know what you are talking about with "hues". From looking at the picture you posted, mine looks more like just a white wash across parts of the screen. There are no other colors.
simply stunning is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 04:17 PM   #30
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMTtakeover View Post
Actually I probably would have noticed the display issue. And no, I don't plan on sending it back multiple times but thank you for your concern.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 09:47 AM   #31
sno1man
macrumors regular

I dont know to laugh or cringe at these types of threads

And the lack of common sense therein. They always go to these extremes that in real life people would never do.

Tell you what,

Next time you are in your car, turn the stereo and air conditioner up to maximum, floor the accelerator when you take off and jam the brake pedal to the floor when you stop and let us know how the experience is....
sno1man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:14 PM   #32
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno1man View Post
And the lack of common sense therein. They always go to these extremes that in real life people would never do.

Tell you what,

Next time you are in your car, turn the stereo and air conditioner up to maximum, floor the accelerator when you take off and jam the brake pedal to the floor when you stop and let us know how the experience is....
Now why would anyone do something so dangerous?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:43 PM   #33
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
if that isn't contrast nuked, it looks pretty bad!

Looks like the numerous (what I believe to be Samsung) iPad3 swaps I went through last year with multiple distinct hues.
This ones much better isn't it?

Do colour contrasts and colours even vary between iPads if for example, you were looking at the same photo on 2 iPads of the same model?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	417361  

Last edited by Samtb; Jun 13, 2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 08:48 AM   #34
klover
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Do colour contrasts and colours even vary between iPads if for example, you were looking at the same photo on 2 iPads of the same model?
In my experience, definitely. I've seen screens with blue, green, red hues of varying intensity that made obvious differences when viewing the same content.
klover is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 03:55 AM   #35
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by klover View Post
In my experience, definitely. I've seen screens with blue, green, red hues of varying intensity that made obvious differences when viewing the same content.
Is that because the screens are manufactured at different factories or even by different companies?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:10 PM   #36
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

Quote:
This ones much better isn't it?

That's really ultimately up to you man, but I think that looks AWFUL
thadoggfather is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:35 PM   #37
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
That's really ultimately up to you man, but I think that looks AWFUL
Worse than the first?

And whats your idea of a good screen? Does it exist?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:15 PM   #38
thadoggfather
macrumors 68030

I'm out of town on vacation (didn't bring my iPad3 actually, had too many gadgets on hand like camera and laptop to do it) but my iPad3 looks REALLY good.

But for every really good one I've seen (only 2) I've seen a BOAT LOAD of bad ones so don't feel too bad.

I don't think it's about comparison, it's about what you find acceptable.

If that's acceptable to you, don't worry about my or anyone else's opinion.

My ipad3 isn't perfect, but people can bad mouth it all they want if they wanted, I'm not giving it up
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:02 PM   #39
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm out of town on vacation (didn't bring my iPad3 actually, had too many gadgets on hand like camera and laptop to do it) but my iPad3 looks REALLY good.

But for every really good one I've seen (only 2) I've seen a BOAT LOAD of bad ones so don't feel too bad.

I don't think it's about comparison, it's about what you find acceptable.

If that's acceptable to you, don't worry about my or anyone else's opinion.

My ipad3 isn't perfect, but people can bad mouth it all they want if they wanted, I'm not giving it up
I've had several now. All had defects including backlight bleeding, varying colour contrasts from different angles, light leak, yellowing on the edge (I haven't worked out whether this disappears over time, I think it faded a bit after a week or so but didn't completely go away and Apples advice was to get it replaced.) The one I have now doesnt seem to have any of these issues.

Last edited by Samtb; Jun 17, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:14 AM   #40
klover
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Is that because the screens are manufactured at different factories or even by different companies?
Different yields, production processes, and certainly different manufacturers will produce different panels. Color filter application, quality of factory calibration, backlight uniformity, and even the purity of the glass layer will all impact color accuracy to some degree.
klover is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad