Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
Decided it bothers me enough when watching darker videos to send it in for repair.

You said you couldn't even tell in normal usage and after running the test you didn't even know there was an issue you HAD TO ASK if there was. If you wouldn't have done that then you wouldn't of had any issues with display. You're being a little ridiculous. I hope you keep sending it back because you aren't going to get one that "passes" your test.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
You said you couldn't even tell in normal usage and after running the test you didn't even know there was an issue you HAD TO ASK if there was. If you wouldn't have done that then you wouldn't of had any issues with display. You're being a little ridiculous. I hope you keep sending it back because you aren't going to get one that "passes" your test.

That's because I hadn't watched a dark video before doing the test.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
When you say repair, do you mean replacement?

I had this problem with my iPad2, and I never returned it. I still have it, but my wife uses, it, and every time I watch a movie/netflix, it bothers me to no end. I wish I had replaced it rite after I got it.

My iPad 3 never had any backlight bleeding. I think that is why it bothered me on the 2, as every time I would see the problem, I knew what it should look like...

Did it have the hues issue too?

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
Did it have the hues issue too?

Not positive that I know what you are talking about with "hues". From looking at the picture you posted, mine looks more like just a white wash across parts of the screen. There are no other colors.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013

Actually I probably would have noticed the display issue. And no, I don't plan on sending it back multiple times but thank you for your concern.

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
I dont know to laugh or cringe at these types of threads

And the lack of common sense therein. They always go to these extremes that in real life people would never do.

Tell you what,

Next time you are in your car, turn the stereo and air conditioner up to maximum, floor the accelerator when you take off and jam the brake pedal to the floor when you stop and let us know how the experience is....:eek:

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
And the lack of common sense therein. They always go to these extremes that in real life people would never do.

Tell you what,

Next time you are in your car, turn the stereo and air conditioner up to maximum, floor the accelerator when you take off and jam the brake pedal to the floor when you stop and let us know how the experience is....:eek:
Now why would anyone do something so dangerous?

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
if that isn't contrast nuked, it looks pretty bad!

Looks like the numerous (what I believe to be Samsung) iPad3 swaps I went through last year with multiple distinct hues.

This ones much better isn't it?

Do colour contrasts and colours even vary between iPads if for example, you were looking at the same photo on 2 iPads of the same model?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Do colour contrasts and colours even vary between iPads if for example, you were looking at the same photo on 2 iPads of the same model?

In my experience, definitely. I've seen screens with blue, green, red hues of varying intensity that made obvious differences when viewing the same content.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
In my experience, definitely. I've seen screens with blue, green, red hues of varying intensity that made obvious differences when viewing the same content.

Is that because the screens are manufactured at different factories or even by different companies?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
This ones much better isn't it?

That's really ultimately up to you man, but I think that looks AWFUL

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I'm out of town on vacation (didn't bring my iPad3 actually, had too many gadgets on hand like camera and laptop to do it) but my iPad3 looks REALLY good.

But for every really good one I've seen (only 2) I've seen a BOAT LOAD of bad ones so don't feel too bad.

I don't think it's about comparison, it's about what you find acceptable.

If that's acceptable to you, don't worry about my or anyone else's opinion.

My ipad3 isn't perfect, but people can bad mouth it all they want if they wanted, I'm not giving it up :D

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I'm out of town on vacation (didn't bring my iPad3 actually, had too many gadgets on hand like camera and laptop to do it) but my iPad3 looks REALLY good.

But for every really good one I've seen (only 2) I've seen a BOAT LOAD of bad ones so don't feel too bad.

I don't think it's about comparison, it's about what you find acceptable.

If that's acceptable to you, don't worry about my or anyone else's opinion.

My ipad3 isn't perfect, but people can bad mouth it all they want if they wanted, I'm not giving it up :D

I've had several now. All had defects including backlight bleeding, varying colour contrasts from different angles, light leak, yellowing on the edge (I haven't worked out whether this disappears over time, I think it faded a bit after a week or so but didn't completely go away and Apples advice was to get it replaced.) The one I have now doesnt seem to have any of these issues.

Last edited:

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Is that because the screens are manufactured at different factories or even by different companies?

Different yields, production processes, and certainly different manufacturers will produce different panels. Color filter application, quality of factory calibration, backlight uniformity, and even the purity of the glass layer will all impact color accuracy to some degree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.