Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pearsonnunn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2013
I was looking to upgrade to the latest retina macbook pro line this afternoon, but it seem apple left my wishes out of their plan. Anyway I was wondering what your opinions were of the new macbook air (13 inch) vs the macbook pro with retina (13 inch) from earlier in the year. If I were to get the macbook air I would get the upgraded processor and 8gb of ram to go with it. Do you think it is worth it to wait for the retina upgrade when ever that happens or should I go ahead and get an air? I would use it for moderate gaming, word processing, watching videos, and web browsing, so it would be a work/school/play computer.

Boraxo

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
Danville
That would be an easy decision for me, I would go with the Air. Maybe it is just me but the regular display is good enough, the "retina" doesn't add much on a 13" scheen.

In my case I have a tougher decision since Apple did not announce an update to Macbook Pro yet - do I buy the Air now or wait for an upgrade to the Pro? I would prefer the 15" screen but don't want to pay extra for something that will be outdated in a couple of months.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
The question is can you afford to wait until the rMBP gets released? How much do you really care about Retina?

If you need a computer today, the 13" MBA is not a bad choice, especially for what you will be using it for. If you can wait a little while longer, I would. I wanted a refreshed 13" rMBP today, but it did not happen. I will wait a little longer since I'm in no immediate need of a new computer.

----------

the "retina" doesn't add much on a 13" scheen.

This is not true. Go compare the screens side by side and if you think the Retina "doesn't add much" I will pay for your eye exam.

pearsonnunn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2013
I know there is a retina MacBook Pro I was wondering if I should wait until a new refresh, get the current model, or get the air.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
1680x1050 scaled resolution on rMBP (plus higher screen quality and black bezel) > 1400x900 on MBA, that's what it comes down to for me.

Plus, it may come with an LV chip (as oppose to ULV), which could mean better GPU as well. It'll definitely come with a higher clocked CPU and 8GB standard.

I'm definitely holding out for a Haswell rMBP.

Dkgu

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2013
That would be an easy decision for me, I would go with the Air. Maybe it is just me but the regular display is good enough, the "retina" doesn't add much on a 13" scheen.

In my case I have a tougher decision since Apple did not announce an update to Macbook Pro yet - do I buy the Air now or wait for an upgrade to the Pro? I would prefer the 15" screen but don't want to pay extra for something that will be outdated in a couple of months.
That's the exact problem I have. I read that the next MacBook Pro will not be released on October and I kind of need a new computer soon.
Have you made a decision on what computer to get?

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I don't see what I would consider as moderate gaming taking place on either model.

rohan25

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2004
MBP Retina vs new MBA

With heavy discounting the slightly older (upgrade imminent) MBP Retina with a config of 8GB RAM and 256GB is available at the same price as a newer version MBA with 8GB RAM and 256GB.

At the same price what is a better option.
Will be used mainly for browsing, Word, Excel and iLife and movies.

Thx

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
With heavy discounting the slightly older (upgrade imminent) MBP Retina with a config of 8GB RAM and 256GB is available at the same price as a newer version MBA with 8GB RAM and 256GB.

At the same price what is a better option.
Will be used mainly for browsing, Word, Excel and iLife and movies.

Thx

.....depends ...... will you be "browsing, Word, Excel and iLife and movies" on battery or plugged-in? No one can make up your mind for you on whether something really "works" better for you. :)

pearsonnunn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2013
That's the exact problem I have. I read that the next MacBook Pro will not be released on October and I kind of need a new computer soon.
Have you made a decision on what computer to get?

OP here, I ended up getting a rMBP a month ago and it's been great. I would recommend it because has good battery life (not as much as the air, but more than I used to have), it was on sale so I got a great deal, and the screen is sooo nice (if the app is retina enabled). It meets all my needs and more!

----------

I don't see what I would consider as moderate gaming taking place on either model.

I've played games on my rMBP and they are fine. Rarely the frame rate slows down on newer games. Overall, as long as max setting are not on, the thing runs great!

The games I've played so far are... Bioshock 1&2, batman arkham city, and borderlands 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.