Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Servomation

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Then when you do your transcode in HB, manually select the track instead of using the Foreign Audio Search. Of course, select burned-in.

If I select any specific subtitle track, the "Forced only" and "Burn in" check boxes are disabled. It's only if I select "Foreign Audio Scan" that I can actually check those boxes.

And if I choose to import an external .SRT, no Burn In options even appear.

I've tried using "Foreign Audio Scan" with "Burn In" on The Da Vinci Code, and I don't know if it gets fooled because there's so MUCH French in that movie or what, but it simply will not burn in the subtitles.

I also tried to specifically select the track that has "Foreign Only" subs, as well as import the aforementioned .SRT of just the Foreign Only subs, and neither seems to work.

Am I doing something wrong??

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
If I select any specific subtitle track, the "Forced only" and "Burn in" check boxes are disabled. It's only if I select "Foreign Audio Scan" that I can actually check those boxes.

And if I choose to import an external .SRT, no Burn In options even appear.

I've tried using "Foreign Audio Scan" with "Burn In" on The Da Vinci Code, and I don't know if it gets fooled because there's so MUCH French in that movie or what, but it simply will not burn in the subtitles.

I also tried to specifically select the track that has "Foreign Only" subs, as well as import the aforementioned .SRT of just the Foreign Only subs, and neither seems to work.

Am I doing something wrong??
An SRT is a separate file "attached" to the movie file, therefore, you cannot burn it in.

Yes, HB's algorithm for finding forced subs is not perfect...pretty good though. If you know you have forced subs and HB is not finding them when it searches, I would recommend you open the file is VLC. Go to a section of the movie where you see forced subs. Then look under the Video pull down for Subtitle track. Look in there and make a note of which subtitle track is checked while forced subs are being displayed. The go back to HB and select that track under the subtitle tab. You should be able to select the Burn-In option at that point (don't check Forced Only).

If that's not working for you, download the appropriate forced sub srt and just add it using that option on the subtitles tab. No need to select anything else as the srt is incorporated into the m4v and will play appropriately.

Servomation

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
The go back to HB and select that track under the subtitle tab. You should be able to select the Burn-In option at that point (don't check Forced Only).

Nope. As I said, if I select any track other than "Foreign Audio Scan" (ie - select the subtitle track that contains the Foreign Only subs), the Burn-In option is disabled and I can not select it. That's the problem I'm having. This is HB v.0.9.9.5530 (64-bit).

If that's not working for you, download the appropriate forced sub srt and just add it using that option on the subtitles tab. No need to select anything else as the srt is incorporated into the m4v and will play appropriately.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I thought you said that a SRT was just "attached" to the file and would not be burned in. But it sounds like by your last statement that it is ??

What I'm trying to do is HB this for Apple TV 3. If I simply add the SRT to the job, and Handbrake it, no subs show on the ATV by default. Which is what I need. I even tried ripping to an MKV just so I could use MKVMERGE to remove ALL but the Foreign Only subs, and make that track DEFAULT and FORCED, before I Handbrake it... and it STILL does not show by default when played (plus the quality was degraded so much that I wouldn't be happy with the result anyway).

I'm feeling very stupid, but I just can get these subs to show by default and it seems like my HB interface is different than everybody elses (Burn-in is not available when it should be).

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
I am trying to rip Captain Phillips and cannot figure out how to get subtitles when they speak somali. I am running OS X 10.9.2, Handbrake 0.9.9 from an Make MKV rip. Do I just choose PBS subtitles burned in? Do I have to load the subtitle stream from my Make MKV rip? Any help is appreciated

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I am trying to rip Captain Phillips and cannot figure out how to get subtitles when they speak somali. I am running OS X 10.9.2, Handbrake 0.9.9 from an Make MKV rip. Do I just choose PBS subtitles burned in? Do I have to load the subtitle stream from my Make MKV rip? Any help is appreciated
First, verify that you ripped the subtitle tracks when you used MakeMKV. If you have the subtitle tracks in the mov, set HB to do a foreign audio search, burn in. First pass will scan the file for subtitles. Second pass will transcode the file.

Barena

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
I'm having an odd situation with the latest version of Handbrake - when I add an srt file to an mp4 it doubles the size of the video. One movie jumped from 1.95GB to 4GB after adding in the subtitles.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.