Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevemcintosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Hi All,

Just went through a horrific experience trying to get a Squeezebox Duet working on my 2TB MyBookLive 2TB NAS drive. Scrapping that and re-evaluating my entire approach.

I'd like to draw songs stored on the NAS wirelessly to my stereo and control song/playlist/genre/etc. selection using my iPad or iTouch. AirPlay looks great, but eveything I've read about it says that I have to have a PC running, but I'm guessing you all are smarter. (NAS is hardwire connected to Linksys wireless router and is accessible wirelessly from laptops on the network.)

So, is it possible?

Also open to other suggestions (but Sonos just isn't in my budget.)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm trying to remember the name of an app I used a long while back...The remote app is still available, but works in conjunction with an ATV unit, or iTunes on a Mac.

I remembered something called Plugplayer for the iPad I'm not sure if it's still on the app store, but I't did work with my ipad1

Worth a browse.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
I'd use iCloud and an Apple TV or Airport Express. It won't cost you more than $99 for the hardware, you'll have the remote control features you are looking for and you won't have to mess with the NAS at all. It will all be delivered by the cloud, so you'll require internet access, which I suppose you already have.

I'm using this instead of the Mac Mini server running iTunes and a Nas with a built in iTunes server and I find it works really well. And, I can control the whole thing from my (or my wife's) iPhone. And, the Apple TV is a great system.

stephen85

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
I'd use iCloud and an Apple TV or Airport Express. It won't cost you more than $99 for the hardware, you'll have the remote control features you are looking for and you won't have to mess with the NAS at all. It will all be delivered by the cloud, so you'll require internet access, which I suppose you already have.

I'm using this instead of the Mac Mini server running iTunes and a Nas with a built in iTunes server and I find it works really well. And, I can control the whole thing from my (or my wife's) iPhone. And, the Apple TV is a great system.

How did you go about doing it ? What you have sounds what I need.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
How did you go about doing it ? What you have sounds what I need.

Just buy an AppleTV and register it with the same iTunes accounts as you've got your media on. That will enable all the magic iCloud media sharing features. If you have local media you want to access just load it into iTunes on a Mac or PC and enable home sharing. It will show up in your Apple TV and you can stream, etc... it works really well and it's all native. No jail breaking or tom foolerly required.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
If you have local media you want to access just load it into iTunes on a Mac or PC and enable home sharing.

the original request was to do this w/o some other computer running somewhere.

a lot of people in this forum create their own music and want to stream it locally, not from icloud.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
the original request was to do this w/o some other computer running somewhere.

a lot of people in this forum create their own music and want to stream it locally, not from icloud.
you can't have your cake and eat it too.

If you want to stream it locally you'll need another system running... If you want to stream it remote then you should try iCloud.

br3nt

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
you can't have your cake and eat it too.

If you want to stream it locally you'll need another system running... If you want to stream it remote then you should try iCloud.

well.. not totally correct.
Since I don't own a NAS, have just set up a Synology for a Small Business though so i'm talking only in theory.

Depending on your NAS vendor you could use it as itunes library and that way stream via airplay.. since it's your iOS device connecting which allows you to send and controll.

So first things first: google :p
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/network-storage/wd-my-book-live

and i believe you might try this:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wd-2go/id450655672?mt=8

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
For music a Synology NAS can AirPlay (Audio Station) without a running computer, controlled from a web browser or iOS app. The interface isn't elegant but it works.

Synology will even support some USB to audio adapters if you don't have an AirPlay playback device.

The beta Synology 4.2 OS has movie AirPlay support but I've never got it working. I'll wait till it's out of beta before figuring out how to get it working.
Airplay.jpg

br3nt

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
For music a Synology NAS can AirPlay (Audio Station) without a running computer, controlled from a web browser or iOS app. The interface isn't elegant but it works.

Synology will even support some USB to audio adapters if you don't have an AirPlay playback device.

The beta Synology 4.2 OS has movie AirPlay support but I've never got it working. I'll wait till it's out of beta before figuring out how to get it working.

but he is using a Western Digital NAS and not a synology. Or have I missed something?

Edit: If you are going to switch... Synology has built-in support. And probably QNAP as well. Can't speak of those though since i dont own any of them :p

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Ahh right.

Me I'd sell the WD NAS and buy a Synology. Which also has a working Squeezebox package.

Seems the OP hasn't logged in since January 6th though.

br3nt

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
Ahh right.

Me I'd sell the WD NAS and buy a Synology. Which also has a working Squeezebox package.

Seems the OP hasn't logged in since January 6th though.

didn't even think to check that. Well, whoever comes along.. enjoy :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.