Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Video game company Blizzard Entertainment has launched Blizzard WCS for iOS, an app made specifically for tracking the progress of the StarCraft II World Championship Series (WCS). The app allows users the ability to watch live streams of WCS matches as well as archived videos with AirPlay capability, and also features content that spotlights individual players and eSports news.

blizzardscreenshots.jpg
The Blizzard WCS app for iPhone, iPod, and iPad is the perfect tool for eSports fans to keep up with all the exciting action of the StarCraft II World Championship Series. This app allows you to view live WCS matches and videos on demand (VODs), check results of prior matches, read eSports news, watch exclusive videos, and more!
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty originally launched on the Mac in 2010, and its expansion, StarCraft II: Heart of The Swarm launched this past March. Blizzard WCS is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Blizzard WCS' Launches for iOS, Allows for Mobile Streaming of StarCraft II WCS

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Was very excited until I realized this is just a status app instead of actual game dev from Blizzard.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Was very excited until I realized this is just a status app instead of actual game dev from Blizzard.

Well at least Blizzard is finally working on a game for the iPad, "Hearthstone". Even if it is a card game...

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I was just thinking earlier today that I wished I was able to watch Koreans play video games while sitting on the toilet.

Now I can.

The future is now.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
So basically we'll be able to see which Korean wins the championship.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Macrumors is digging deep in the can on this one...

I'm guessing the Admins are avid StarCraft fans :p

Of cause they are. That's why the article is being written.
MacRumors would have no idea that SC2 as an e-sport is dying. MLG and others are removing it from their line ups. And lost of people don't like the SC2 WCS format.

Blizzard need to seriously work on this. But MacRumors would not know this. And if they did, it's not in their article here.

----------

So basically we'll be able to see which Korean wins the championship.

Basically yes.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I was just thinking earlier today that I wished I was able to watch Koreans play video games while sitting on the toilet.

Now I can.

The future is now.

Or you can watch Scarlet, the little Canadian girl who is kicking a lot of Koreans asses. Yesterday I've tried the app since I was an active Starcraft players and I've seen 3 matches with this girl which is super pro.

These things are interesting only if you play Starcraft, but probably it is the game with the highest number of match views, it is very competitive and complex so usually it is fun to watch these if you understand what is happening.

divad1978

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
is there a point to watching Starcraft?

If you don't like SC2 and watching incredibly skilled players outplay each other then sure you would think there is no point. However there are weeks where I spend a significant portion of my week watching matches. Last week for example I spent six days watching SC2 matches 8 hours a day ending at a bar on Sunday where 60 people showed up to watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.