Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:31 PM   #1
DJS1138
macrumors newbie

Can't See External Drive In Finder

New to Mac, intermediate PC user. I'm having an issue where I can't see my Seagate Free Agent in my 2011 MacBook Pro (10.7.4).

The drive is NTFS but I'm using Paragon and can write to it, up until last night I had no problems. I use it to Dj and the place I was at last night had two power issues (someone cut the power not realizing it) and I got the "drive did not eject" message. Tonight when I tried to plug in my drive it wasn't recognized in my finder. I thought it could have something to do with the power issues last night and here's what I did in terms of troubleshooting.

Plugged the drive into my PC, ran an error check, everything was fine. I was directed to this forum through Google and read about resetting SMC, did that, no luck. I also read about resetting the PRAM and another user who had an issue with a drive, cleared the cache and everything worked. I tried those as well with no luck.

I then plugged in my brothers identical model drive to see what would happen and sure enough I don't see it in the finder.

I do see it in system report when I go to USB, this is what puzzles me. I'm usually pretty good at troubleshooting but I'm about 2 weeks into owning a Mac and the last time I had used Macs regularly was in school a few years back on G4s, I'm a little out of my element.

This is the model of drive http://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-FreeAge.../dp/B003ELOSJG

I hope I've included enough info, any help would be appreciated.
DJS1138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Roxxy
macrumors newbie

Similar Issue

I had a similar issue with my WD 1 TB external hard drive. While emptying the trash with my HDD connected the power was interrupted and now it isn't recognized under Finder. I can see it under my System Profiler and DU. I have all my pictures and music on this drive so reformatting it is NOT an option. Any suggestions out there????
Roxxy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:25 PM   #3
MacTinker
macrumors newbie

Hopefully it is this simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS1138 View Post
New to Mac, intermediate PC user. I'm having an issue where I can't see my Seagate Free Agent in my 2011 MacBook Pro (10.7.4).

The drive is NTFS but I'm using Paragon and can write to it, up until last night I had no problems. I use it to Dj and the place I was at last night had two power issues (someone cut the power not realizing it) and I got the "drive did not eject" message. Tonight when I tried to plug in my drive it wasn't recognized in my finder. I thought it could have something to do with the power issues last night and here's what I did in terms of troubleshooting.

Plugged the drive into my PC, ran an error check, everything was fine. I was directed to this forum through Google and read about resetting SMC, did that, no luck. I also read about resetting the PRAM and another user who had an issue with a drive, cleared the cache and everything worked. I tried those as well with no luck.

I then plugged in my brothers identical model drive to see what would happen and sure enough I don't see it in the finder.

I do see it in system report when I go to USB, this is what puzzles me. I'm usually pretty good at troubleshooting but I'm about 2 weeks into owning a Mac and the last time I had used Macs regularly was in school a few years back on G4s, I'm a little out of my element.

This is the model of drive http://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-FreeAge.../dp/B003ELOSJG

I hope I've included enough info, any help would be appreciated.
Check you preferences in Finder and make sure that you have the External hard drives ticked in the Sidebar menu.

~~Love Macs cause they work..... and if they don't you can tinker until they do.~~
MacTinker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:21 PM   #4
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Or just go to the "Mac" section...

Pakaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help