Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Kevin Alan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Sydney
Well I pretty much joined to ask this question. My replacement black iPhone 5 has white scuffs on it around one antenna band and smallish yet visible white dots around the side of the phone(3 maybe 4). I have only noticed one dot appear about a 2 weeks ago but there they are getting bigger and are multiplying. I had this noted when i called AppleCare the day I found this. It looks as though the finish hasn't been put on properly and there are another 2 that look faded under a few angles of light. Originally I didn't really care about 1 but as they are gradually increasing I fear it will begin to destroy the look of the phone. They are definitely not scratches as I have a full case and am very careful with my phone.
What should I do? Thanks!:)

PS the scuffing around the antenna band is a lesser extent of this:http://www.google.com.au/imgres?img...BKmUJnPG9G0iQeXmoHwBw&ved=0CCkQ9QEwAQ&dur=470

HeezyBear

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
If you take a few minutes (seconds?) to look around this forum you'll see that tons of people are experiencing the same issue. The black coat on the antenna band is just that, a coat. It's not black all the way through the aluminum so when you ding it a little here and there the coat will gradually come off and the silver will begin to show. Even some cases have been known to chip away at it.

Unfortunately, some people are even experiencing scuffs straight out of the box which has to do with quality control issues in the factories where the iPhones are being manufactured.

As far as what to do I would say your options are to live with the fact that over time your phone's band will gradually start to scuff and show silver, put a case on it, or get a white iPhone instead.

MattBookBower

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Bournemouth, England
As far as what to do I would say your options are to live with the fact that over time your phone's band will gradually start to scuff and show silver, put a case on it, or get a white iPhone instead.

This was the main reason I went for the white iPhone 5, thought the Black edges would chip/scuff, shame because I do like the look of the black one, just think it looks tacky when all the chipping/scuffing pops up.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Originally I didn't really care about 1 but as they are gradually increasing I fear it will begin to destroy the look of the phone. They are definitely not scratches as I have a full case and am very careful with my phone.
What should I do? Thanks!:)

If you have it in a full case you've already destroyed the look of your phone. Having it in a case can cause scratches AND pulling it in and out of a case will cause friction. SO put it in your case and use it and move on.

Mr Kevin Alan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Sydney
Umm yeah these are not shiny silver scuffs...These are like a white stain, seems to me that it looks like the coating has worn off. Also my case has not scuffed it up because its a soft rubber case, not a hard snap on.

----------

It's not black all the way through the aluminum so when you ding it a little here and there the coat will gradually come off and the silver will begin to show.

I haven't dinged it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.