Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryHoodlum

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Noticed A LOT of dust getting under the digitizer glass (seemingly from the volume buttons), so I brought it to an apple store to get checked out. After the guy basically said "we don't have that model in stock", I had to inquire about a replacement without the box. He found one for me and exchanged it for the dusty one. When I got out to my car to inspect it, I was shocked to find several noticeable pieces of dust under the glass. So I went back into the store and the "expert" sales guy inspects my replacement with a flashlight and confirms that there are in fact particles of some sort in there. At this point another guy gets called out of the back to "take care of it". The 2nd replacement was perfect and it seems to be holding up. I wonder if this is a known problem with early shipments, or maybe the fault of one of the display manufacturers.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Whenever I've done an exchange at an Apple store, there's been time to inspect the device while they complete the process. But then I usually stay and use their wifi to restore my backup, too.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Why would you blame display manufacturers when you said that you assume dust is getting in there through the volume buttons? Seems to me dust wasn't in there on the first iPad until after you bought it, right?

HarryHoodlum

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Why would you blame display manufacturers when you said that you assume dust is getting in there through the volume buttons? Seems to me dust wasn't in there on the first iPad until after you bought it, right?

There was no dust under my preordered mini when I got it, no. I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just speculating. I understand that the mini uses a 2 part digitizer/LCD setup, and the final assembly in China may be to blame for the flaw. Regardless, I'm pretty sad that the glass isn't fused to the display, because now I'm going to notice anythig that gets in there. If I can't have a retina display, fine. But I want all of the pixels I do have to be unobstructed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.