Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Tried this route also, didn't work.
haha! who actually pays these fees?

i've been a customer with Verizon Wireless since VZW started, and i was with BAM before that for 4 years. i have never once paid an activation fee or an upgrade fee or any of that crap. they've tried in the stores, and i get them to waive them. it's actually fairly easy, just tell them "waive the fee or i'll go somewhere else". done.

then i realized if you avoid the stores all together and do everything online, you don't get bombarded with these BS fees that the carriers try to impose

NeroAZ

Suspended
Jun 23, 2009
Phoenx, AZ
AT&T charged me a $36 activation when I added my iPad to my share everything plan but when I called customer service they credited me.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I agree that the activation fee is pretty stupid. I could understand it if you bought the device subsidized or on a contract, but you didn't. Verizon should wave these fees like AT&T does. I've had AT&T wave all of my fees. Wasn't going to pay $72 for a ... SIM card swap. They waved it without any issues.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I'll say it like I've said before all carriers are getting smart and get away with murder with these fees.

Highcroft

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Illinois
I'm not too sure how lenient Verizon is but I've been able to get all of my activation fees waived whenever I buy a new phone from AT&T.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California

Then be serious about it. Call retentions and cancel your account. They'll ask why and you tell them because you're tired of being nickel and dimed and the last $40 activation fee for a $10/mo device was the limit of your patience. Retentions has the ability to waive more charges and issue credits than anyone. If they won't, let them cancel your account and go elsewhere.

If you're not willing to leave, then just pay the fee and stop complaining.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
They are a business...they are trying to make a buck...just like everybody else.

When the iPad Mini came out, people complained that it should have been $299. Many said 'it's just $30, what's the big deal....'

However, that same $30 is unbearable if it's for an activation fee....

AT&T is pretty good about waiving the fee for long term customers, Verizon seems a bit less willing to.

gadgetmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
There is no need to get snippy. I am not in a position to cancel at this point in my contracts. I would have to pay two large efts

Then be serious about it. Call retentions and cancel your account. They'll ask why and you tell them because you're tired of being nickel and dimed and the last $40 activation fee for a $10/mo device was the limit of your patience. Retentions has the ability to waive more charges and issue credits than anyone. If they won't, let them cancel your account and go elsewhere.

If you're not willing to leave, then just pay the fee and stop complaining.

----------

That's a good point.

They are a business...they are trying to make a buck...just like everybody else.

When the iPad Mini came out, people complained that it should have been $299. Many said 'it's just $30, what's the big deal....'

However, that same $30 is unbearable if it's for an activation fee....

AT&T is pretty good about waiving the fee for long term customers, Verizon seems a bit less willing to.

Last edited:

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
It's their basic policy to charge that fee for any new line you activate (of any kind). Sucks they won't waive it but for what it's worth, you do have a subsidy available on that line.

If you plan on using data for the next 2 years, doesn't make sense not to use that upgrade. Simply transfer the upgrade to your phone line, get a new phone and either sell it for profit or use it if you need a new phone. Your ipad line will be locked in for 2 years, but at least you got something in return.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011

that's bc they know we are addicted to smartphones and data plans and we want to keep our unlimited plans.

customers used to have all of the negotiating power. not anymore with wireless carriers. if you have a family plan, you have some power since if you leave that means they will lose out on 4+ lines of service.

they know we're addicted and we can't get service from anywhere else. cable tv...you can just get it for free these days (torrents, sling, etc)

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
There is no need to get snippy. I am not in a position to cancel at this point in my contracts. I would have to pay two large efts

Not snippy. They know you're bluffing and aren't going to go somewhere else if they don't pony up. There's no reason for them to waive any charges. You're not in a position to negotiate, apparently.

Sora

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
New York, NY

----------

That's a good point.

Position of power is perceived. Let them know:
1. How long you have been with the company
2. Number of phones/activations you have active at the present time
3. Total amount of the monthly bill
4. Is loosing you and potentially your entire family/friends/colleagues worth not refunding you the activation fee?

Like I said - position of power is perceived. It's not real. Companies are smart - a dissatisfied customer tells 100 people about their dissatisfaction, while a happy customer only tells 10. They would rather that 10, than the 100.

Oh, as a disclaimer, you should be somewhat proficient at negotiating. Screaming, cursing and hurling insults isn't negotiating.

Best of luck.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Like I said - position of power is perceived. It's not real. Companies are smart - a dissatisfied customer tells 100 people about their dissatisfaction, while a happy customer only tells 10. They would rather that 10, than the 100.

The problem is that the minimum wage call centre employee has no reason to care for such things.

gadgetmonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
I have tried multiple reps now, still no luck. I have two lines of service and have been with Verizon for about 7 yrs. one rep did promise to call me if something did come . I have not gotten angry while on the phone or via email.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
Prepaid has a fee for suspending service. The fee is $15 every 90 days.

Can you elaborate on this? Hadn't heard of this prior to now. I have heard of them shutting down your sim after 5 months, is that what you're referring to?

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I just had a Verizon customer service person tell me about it. I found a post on Verizon's support page that might clarify this somewhat

Re: suspending service
tikibar1 Gold
tikibar1 Dec 1, 2012 6:39 AM (in response to Brian68)

In addition, the length of the suspension period depends on the reason you select for suspending service.

Lost or Stolen – Your line will automatically reconnect after 30 days maximum
Gift or Other – Your line will automatically reconnect after 90 days maximum

If you suspend with billing, there is no limit to the number of times you can suspend your service within a 12-month period, but if you suspend without billing, you're limited to two suspensions (each with a maximum of 90 days' suspension) every 12 months.
Hey Birm!

I just wanted to jump in and let you know that you have many options when it comes to suspending your service! If you process any of the changes explained above ONLINE, it's free. However, if you do process the suspension over the phone, there is a $15.00 per line fee. I would strongly suggest doing this online or through our automated system at *611! Super simple!

Thanks!
MichelleG_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.