Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nismo13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
Going by my gut instincts and business background, I believe that the new iPad or iPad 5 will not be announced Early (March) 2013 rather it will be announced Mid Year or fall of 2013. First off, Apple has usually stuck to the almost one year cycle for products (except for the ipad 4). The only reason the ipad 4 broke the mold was because of the lightning adapter. Apple needed to have all their products running with lightning or people would not care for the ipad. The reason they updated the internals was for extra sales. If they had updated it and left the specs the same, consumers would demand a price decrease because technically the ipad 3 is slower than the iphone 5. Apple can not stand to have a budget ipad with similar prices to the mini and ipad 2.

As for the iPad 5, the announcement cannot happen this march, mainly due to manufacturing and shipping. As i recall iPad mini and even iPad 2/3 chasis were leaked months before actual release. As apple becomes larger as a company it will be harder to keep these products secret. If apple was to announce and launch a new ipad in march we should have some case mockups already. Because if apple plans on selling 10 million of these within one quarter they should have already started manufacturing. Im sure the next iPad will have the same internals as the iPad 4. Partly due to manufacturing costs, and partly because it would be cheaper to manufacture. Using the A6X with an igzo display will reduce battery size and weight, which will reduce the overall size of the ipad. The A7 announce will happen in fall of 2013 with the new iphone.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Well, this certainly warranted a new thread.

Ditto! Me thinks there will be a lot of newbies right after Christmas who aren't familiar with the forum.

Remember there is a search feature and that often there is a thread (or in this case a dozen+ threads) discussing theories on the iPad 5 and Mini 2. It would be counterproductive if everyone with a theory started a new thread.

Hope you're enjoying your new iOS device and welcome to MacRumors!

Last edited:

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Going by my gut instincts and business background, I believe that the new iPad or iPad 5 will not be announced Early (March) 2013 rather it will be announced Mid Year or fall of 2013. First off, Apple has usually stuck to the almost one year cycle for products (except for the ipad 4). The only reason the ipad 4 broke the mold was because of the lightning adapter. Apple needed to have all their products running with lightning or people would not care for the ipad. The reason they updated the internals was for extra sales. If they had updated it and left the specs the same, consumers would demand a price decrease because technically the ipad 3 is slower than the iphone 5. Apple can not stand to have a budget ipad with similar prices to the mini and ipad 2.

As for the iPad 5, the announcement cannot happen this march, mainly due to manufacturing and shipping. As i recall iPad mini and even iPad 2/3 chasis were leaked months before actual release. As apple becomes larger as a company it will be harder to keep these products secret. If apple was to announce and launch a new ipad in march we should have some case mockups already. Because if apple plans on selling 10 million of these within one quarter they should have already started manufacturing. Im sure the next iPad will have the same internals as the iPad 4. Partly due to manufacturing costs, and partly because it would be cheaper to manufacture. Using the A6X with an igzo display will reduce battery size and weight, which will reduce the overall size of the ipad. The A7 announce will happen in fall of 2013 with the new iphone.

Well thanks Tim, nice of you to take time out to start a thread!

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

That was one reason. The Surface and Nexus 10 were others.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Here-is-why-Apple-unveiled-the-iPad-4-now_id35828

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Nexus 10 isn't released in many territories to provide a genuine threat to iPad sales globally and Surface RT's impact has been a whimper rather than an explosion.

Personally I thnk they updated the iPad 4 so that they could move the whole iPad release schedule to Fall rather than Spring.

Putting it after the iPhone makes sense, as it enables them to standarise and utilise the newer chip rather than using older chips in March/April that are then outdated 3 months later when th iPhone is released.

The fact they want to get out of Samsung's pocket, I predict the next A7 will be a wholly Apple chip and will feature in both the iPhone 5s/6 and iPad Mini 2 / ipad 5 next year.

I also think that if as predicted the Mini 2 does get Retina in Fall 2013, it will require the same or a spin off chipset from the iPad 5 as the A6X is too power hungry for the Mini.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Nexus 10 isn't released in many territories to provide a genuine threat to iPad sales globally and Surface RT's impact has been a whimper rather than an explosion.

Personally I thnk they updated the iPad 4 so that they could move the whole iPad release schedule to Fall rather than Spring.

Putting it after the iPhone makes sense, as it enables them to standarise and utilise the newer chip rather than using older chips in March/April that are then outdated 3 months later when th iPhone is released.

The fact they want to get out of Samsung's pocket, I predict the next A7 will be a wholly Apple chip and will feature in both the iPhone 5s/6 and iPad Mini 2 / ipad 5 next year.

I also think that if as predicted the Mini 2 does get Retina in Fall 2013, it will require the same or a spin off chipset from the iPad 5 as the A6X is too power hungry for the Mini.

Say Apple did do that...would it be smart for Apple to release all its iOS products in 2 months at the end of the year?

If the schedule looked like this..

Mar- N/A
Jun- N/A
Sep- iPhone, iPods, iOS 7
Oct- iPad, iPad Mini

Could they afford to do it in 2013 with these factors?

1) Surface Pro launching in Jan.
2) $99 Nexus 7 coming in Q1
3) Samsung Galaxy S4 & HTC M7 coming in Q1

Apple could take a beating in Q1-Q2.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Ironically, the mini is the surface killer. It makes the whole hybridization thiing look passe and redefined market expectations for the tablet form factor. Unfortunately, it may also be an ipad killer.

The iPad mini is still an iPad. So you're saying the iPad may be an iPad killer? The mini isn't eating iPad sales since it is an iPad. Either way those sales are going to Apple, so it's not like Apple is losing money in the process.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
The iPad mini is still an iPad. So you're saying the iPad may be an iPad killer? The mini isn't eating iPad sales since it is an iPad. Either way those sales are going to Apple, so it's not like Apple is losing money in the process.

This is the specific point of the article that the thread is based on--that the mini is cannablizing the higher margin ipad4.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
This is the specific point of the article that the thread is based on--that the mini is cannablizing the higher margin ipad4.

True, but I doubt Apple would have put the mini on the market if it wasn't an acceptable "loss". I put that in quotes because profit is profit, Apple may just be making slightly less profit, but certainly still making a profit. It's not like the iPad will be going away any time soon.

Historical reference: when Apple introduced the iPod mini, it chewed up a significant portion of regular iPod sales. Everyone cried "boo-hoo, the iPod will go away and we don't want that!". Then Apple discontinued the mini and introduced the Nano. It destroyed iPod sales, and people predicted the downfall of the full-sized iPod.

You can still buy that iPod from Apple today.

So while the mini may be eating into the full-sized iPad sales, I don't think it means anything significant for the iPad, not yet. I think, for the most part, it generally means more profit for Apple. I'm willing to bet that a significant number of iPad mini purchases are NOT replacements of full-sized iPad purchases, though plenty of them undoubtably are. Many are probably first-time purchasers who wanted something smaller than the iPad and also people who just wanted the mini, even if they already have a full-size iPad.

My point is that Apple makes a significant profit off each and every product they offer. When one product starts eating the sales of another, Apple still wins. Consumers also generally (though not always) win as well. The iPad is still a flagship product for Apple, and I don't think that will change any time soon.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Say Apple did do that...would it be smart for Apple to release all its iOS products in 2 months at the end of the year?

If the schedule looked like this..

Mar- N/A
Jun- N/A
Sep- iPhone, iPods, iOS 7
Oct- iPad, iPad Mini

Could they afford to do it in 2013 with these factors?

1) Surface Pro launching in Jan.
2) $99 Nexus 7 coming in Q1
3) Samsung Galaxy S4 & HTC M7 coming in Q1

Apple could take a beating in Q1-Q2.

1) surface pro is not a threat to the iPad, more a threat to Ultrabooks especially at $1000

2) and? Apple are not competing with the bottom end pricing, and won't release something to compete with a $99 device.

3) so? SGS3 and One X released before iPhone 5. Did Apple bring forward its release date because of it. Those looking at iPads are not going to not buy one because a new phone is out.

4) the best time is October for iPads. Release before the holidays and release with the best or better specs than your competitors right before the biggest spending season of the year. If iPad mini sales this fall holiday are an indication of anything it's that a shift in timeline was far better for all concerned.

5) the iPad 3 was undoubtabley rushed, they pushed something out in March for the sake of doing so, when they didn't really have the A6 ready to go, or the foresight to standarsie the iOS technology like they wanted to. The Lightning port was likely still in development at that point.

Why release another iPad in March now and make the same expensive error of not having a new chip ready to go, or what real hardware design changes could they really make?

Retina displays for mini wont be ready, and neither is a suitable CPU/GPU to power them efficiently given the smaller battery capacity.

IOS 7 won't be ready so no software changes either, so really what would they be releasing! And to compete with what?

A $1000 tablet/ Ultrabook, err no....
A $100 budget Nexus tablet (only rumoured and not confirmed) when Apple have already proven they are NOT playing on price point. Period

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
1) surface pro is not a threat to the iPad, more a threat to Ultrabooks especially at $1000

2) and? Apple are not competing with the bottom end pricing, and won't release something to compete with a $99 device.

3) so? SGS3 and One X released before iPhone 5. Did Apple bring forward its release date because of it. Those looking at iPads are not going to not buy one because a new phone is out.

4) the best time is October for iPads. Release before the holidays and release with the best or better specs than your competitors right before the biggest spending season of the year. If iPad mini sales this fall holiday are an indication of anything it's that a shift in timeline was far better for all concerned.

5) the iPad 3 was undoubtabley rushed, they pushed something out in March for the sake of doing so, when they didn't really have the A6 ready to go, or the foresight to standarsie the iOS technology like they wanted to. The Lightning port was likely still in development at that point.

Why release another iPad in March now and make the same expensive error of not having a new chip ready to go, or what real hardware design changes could they really make?

Retina displays for mini wont be ready, and neither is a suitable CPU/GPU to power them efficiently given the smaller battery capacity.

IOS 7 won't be ready so no software changes either, so really what would they be releasing! And to compete with what?

A $1000 tablet/ Ultrabook, err no....
A $100 budget Nexus tablet (only rumoured and not confirmed) when Apple have already proven they are NOT playing on price point. Period

Yep.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I doubt Apple is worried about the Surface RT. And what evidence do we have that 10" (i.e higher priced) Android tablets are threatening the iPad? It seems the ones most successful are the cheaper 7" tablets.

I don't have evidence. Ask the folks that wrote the article I linked why they felt there would be competition or maybe read if there was any feedback to that article.

Starrbuck

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010

The profit margin is much lower on the iPad Mini. They would rather sell more iPads and therefore make more money!

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010

They will be releasing a much lighter ipad with bezel redesign. What the mini showed is that form factor--not specs--drives the tablet market. The retina mini will come in september, but the current mini will stay on as an entry level product (imo)

Ios development depends upon your vision of the tablet. If you view ipad as a consumption device, than ios/itunes is pretty mature. If you view as a productivity device, there is alot to be done. I am seeing surface pro flopping and apple staying with the consumption paradigm.

laser310

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
I doubt Apple is worried about the Surface RT. And what evidence do we have that 10" (i.e higher priced) Android tablets are threatening the iPad? It seems the ones most successful are the cheaper 7" tablets.

although microsoft has made some major mistakes with the Surface (no GPS, no POP3 support, no cellular data), it has some really good features, and Apple is probably paying close attention.

I find the 16:9 ratio to be much better for a "large" tablet than Apple's ratio.

The kick stand is very nice.

The detachable keyboard/cover works well.

the real word processor makes it much more useable for business, and makes it more relevant as a laptop replacement for many people.

If they fix the problems with the Surface RT 2, and the app store continues to grow, Apple will have some competition in the premium tablet market.

The Pro version, when it comes out is not really an iPad competitor, but will be a MB Air competitor.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I was initially convinced there was a niche for a "pro" tablet, based on either win8 or osx and running x86 software

I was very enthusiastic about the surface initially. Microsoft generated a fair amount of positive buzz at the release event, but enthusiasm for the the device has waned. It was especially bad to rellease the gimped RT months in advance of the full pro model. I believe by the time the pro is released--probably just before the ipad 5--even initial enthusiasts will be indifferent, confused, or discouraged.

I have recently come to the conclusion the "pro" tablet may be a still born technology, largely supplanted by touchscreen laptops. Who knows

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.