Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Thank God someone came to the light with a SD slot in my MBP.

That's not really a slot in the traditional sense. It's the modern day equivalent of a floppy drive.

The current mac machines (other than the pro) have no slots in the traditional sense (expansion slots, e.g., PCIe or similar). The closest they have is thunderbolt.

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
That's not really a slot in the traditional sense. It's the modern day equivalent of a floppy drive.

The current mac machines (other than the pro) have no slots in the traditional sense (expansion slots, e.g., PCIe or similar). The closest they have is thunderbolt.
I've never looked at any Mac product other than Pro.
Lighted keys - was and always will be the MacDaddy of why I bought my first Pro in 05 - then Again in 2010.
The Old guy still works - 8 yrs old - still looks like new - has PCi slot - every Firewire port - traveled often to Europe with it for 3 yrs.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
It's also why there is only one new model of iphone every release and the only option is more flash. Unlike say, samsung or HTC who offer a myriad of different models that the customer needs a telecommunications degree, a nerd friend, or hours of research on the internet to choose between.

I dont understand your example.

Iphone 4, Iphone 4S, Iphone 5 - Three Iphones still openly available
Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3 - Two Galaxy Phones openly available

You either want the latest - Iphone5 or Galaxy S3, or an older model making the contract cheaper - Iphone 4, 4S or Galaxy S2.

Really annoys me this attitude of saying anything other then apple is complicated. Choosing a phone is no different to choosing your next holiday, home or car. Of course your going to do some research and if possible have a look at a demo model.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I dont understand your example.

Iphone 4, Iphone 4S, Iphone 5 - Three Iphones still openly available
Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3 - Two Galaxy Phones openly available

You either want the latest - Iphone5 or Galaxy S3, or an older model making the contract cheaper - Iphone 4, 4S or Galaxy S2.

Really annoys me this attitude of saying anything other then apple is complicated. Choosing a phone is no different to choosing your next holiday, home or car. Of course your going to do some research and if possible have a look at a demo model.

They are older generation hardware.

Sorry perhaps samsung wasn't the best example (I didn't check to be honest, but i knew there would be the note, the S2 and the S3 - their model lineup USED to be a lot, lot larger). In that instance, it looks like samsung have caught on to why apple have been successful. Kudos to them.

I was actually thinking more of the type of thing exhibited by HTC:
http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/

It is also more prevalent in PC hardware.

Try buy a Dell or HP laptop and compare how many models there are, most of which are garbage....

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
TBH looking at most of the students numeracy and literacy at work, im more worried about them being 'done' than apple :rolleyes:

Philscbx

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
Mpls Mn
Sorry perhaps samsung wasn't the best example (I didn't check
Nothing to be sorry about -

The Galaxy S III unveiled this past May, achieved 20 million global sales in just 100 days, and has now passed the 40 million unit sales mark.

It blew me away in less than 3 minutes of live demo at Verizon -
And I don't get excited by BS.
In just one example of making a personal note & sending it would take anyone 5 minutes -
the SIII did it all in 3 sec. w/o touching it.

Let alone all the stuff we are not allowed to do.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Clearly teenagers are extremely well-equipped to determine the future of apple. Heck, Apple hasn't innovated since the Retina Macbook Pro or super thin iMac... thats.... like... no innovation for 3 - 4 months, which clearly means Apple has finished innovation, FOREVER. Thus it is doomed, FOREVER. The teenagers also know that Apple has NOTHING left in its pipeline that is innovative, and knows everything it will do in the future.

Honestly, I swear that the media is creating all this hype, which people read, and thus share, making more people read it... and then everyone thinks Apple is doomed, people sell shares, and apple loses value... when all along... literally NOTHING was WRONG!??

LOL, the world.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
As a teenager, living in this day and age, I very much disagree that Apple is done. Yeah, there will always be the competitors that have their own versions of a product and will take part of the market share, but that does NOT mean Apple is done. Apple doesn't have to innovate in huge ways all the time. It's their decision, and I'm sure that any decision that is made is made with great care and much thought is put into it. Also, its okay if they make a few decisions to conform with some of the other markets (i.e. iPad mini or the iPhone 5 with a bigger display). Even though the competition is getting tighter, people are still going to want to buy apple products because they know that they are buying something that is really worth their money. IMO, Apple will never be done, and neither will many of the other competition companies, because the consumer will always want more than one option to chose from, and Apple is still leading product markets, such as the ultraportable and tablet markets, because the public likes what Apple is doing and wants their product. I also think however, Apple will always have the reputation of making great products, and people will always enjoy them for what they are. Sure, Microsoft can come up with a tablet that can compete with the iPad, but so what? Its not like everyone who owns an iPad is going to drop it and get a Surface all at once. Some may, but thats their choice. This doesn't mean Apple is done though- Go to your closest Apple store. Look around… does that look like a retail store of a failing company to you? ;)

I, for one like the way Apple is going with their products and can't wait for what the future has in store :) maybe some really great innovations, maybe not, but for now I'll just enjoy what I have and not worry too much about Apple as a company. I trust it to take care of itself :D

----------

Honestly, I swear that the media is creating all this hype, which people read, and thus share, making more people read it... and then everyone thinks Apple is doomed, people sell shares, and apple loses value... when all along... literally NOTHING was WRONG!??

LOL, the world.

agreed. The media tends to do that :p

Daysight

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2011
As a teenager, I think Apple is done. Apple is headed in the WRONG direction. They are no longer innovators, and now just follow what the market dictates they should do.
Let me get this increasingly common line of reasoning straight: my iPhone, iPad and iMac are so easy to use and so reliable for keeping my complex life organized, entertained, connected and productive that I should get bored and move onto some different platform? I've been into computer innovation since Fortran cards, the first PalmPilot and ARPANET. After all that chasing the innovative edge of computing, the pleasant magic of my three Apple devices never gets old. This is what I had been looking for all these years: a computer system that frees me from chasing computing fashions to living life better. Flipping from system to system just to see a new look wastes money and time. Innovation to make things better is one thing, but innovation for fashion isn't as cool as it seems.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Do people have original thoughts anymore? All I hear these days is Apple doesn't innovate anymore blah blah blah. It's as if somebody programmed a bunch of robots to spit out the same lame tripe.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Are you forgetting, in the past 36 months

- killing the netbook market with the worlds first ultrabook (the MBA) - that competitors are still struggling to match 2 1/2 years later.

*sigh*. The Sony Vaio X505 disagrees about the "world's first" part there. The Sony Vaio X505 didn't even have an optical drive! Wow, would you imagine that.

- releasing retina class displays, first on mobile and then on laptops - still the only retina class laptop displays available

What's innovative about that ? Retina class displays had been present on mobiles and Apple was late to the high-res smartphone gig. Off the top of my head, the first that comes to mind is the 3" 800x480 Toshiba Protege G900 for June 2007, with 310 PPI. June 2007. At the same time, the first iPhone was shipping with a paltry 163 PPI screen.

So can the "retina displays" came from Apple! It didn't.

- releasing a music locker service (music in the cloud)

Google Music and others predate Apple's offering. You probably want to talk about iTunes Match here rather than a "music locker service".

- cloud sync across all your apple device types

How is cloud syncing "innovative" ? It's not new at all. Again, we've had it from other providers for a while. Apple is following here.

Guys, please, pretty please, stop abusing the damn "innovative" word. Apple have never innovated at a fast pace. They've always just offered great polished products that work, even if they weren't world firsts or new offerings. Apple innovates rarely, but when it does, it's usually quite groundbreaking.

However, most of the time, Apple takes what is already out there, polishes it and ships it in an attractive package accessible to the mass. No innovation, just pure refinement and iterative upgrades.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

----------

Do people have original thoughts anymore? All I hear these days is Apple doesn't innovate anymore blah blah blah. It's as if somebody programmed a bunch of robots to spit out the same lame tripe.

Hey look, a Rogifan post whining about people constantly posting about "Apple not being innovative!", I sure haven't read that before. :rolleyes:

Look, if you're going to whine about broken records, don't be one yourself. Get over it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Hey look, a Rogifan post whining about people constantly posting about "Apple not being innovative!", I sure haven't read that before. :rolleyes:

Look, if you're going to whine about broken records, don't be one yourself. Get over it.
Fair point. :) I guess I'll get over it when everyone else does. So that will probably be never. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.