Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Vancouver
So I just ordered this macbook skin off eBay and I LOVE it!!!

20130118214350.jpg

There is even a hole for the caps lock led =)
20130118213508.jpg

20130118213525.jpg

The brushed aluminum is great, but it always gets smudges on it and it looks dull if you don't clean it/wipe it down.

It was only $13 and it's well worth it. Thought I would share since i'm sure some of you might be interested.
The keyboard covers are my favourite!!!

The only con is the keyboard cover is about 1mm too wide. So one side of the cover will be sticking slightly off one of the edges. I tried to put it on like 50 times and this always happened. So I just ended up cutting one side with scissors. Other than that, it fits great.

I also love the bottom skin cover. I know a pet peeve was when I moved my mac the bottom would sometimes rub against the table or whatever and would make that scratchy sound, I would cringe every time. Not anymore =D

I got it from here:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Decal-CARBON...ags&hash=item588ff8dff7&_uhb=1#ht_5521wt_1091

There is also a black version as well.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Laptop-Cover...ags&hash=item5645a7811b&_uhb=1#ht_5590wt_1004

Shipping took about 10 days for me which was surprisingly fast since it's from China (I'm in Ontario, Canada). Things from China usually take 2-3 weeks.

chrisperro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
canada
How easy was it to put on? Many air bubbles?

If you go to icarbons.com is a video for how to install it.
I installed in my other MacBook no problems, no bubbles , is like a thick sticker so is hard to get bubbles. That's my experience.

chris001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Vancouver
Looks good, just order one..
Are those single stickers for the keys?

How easy was it to put on? Many air bubbles?

Yes, individual stickers for the keys.

The skin itself is challenging to get on. I had to take it off about 10 times before I got it installed just the way I wanted it. I'm a little OCD though..

The best way is to just peel half of the skin off and bend the lining flat, then line up the apple logo and apply one side and then take the full sticker off. you'll probably have to do this a few times to get the perfect fit.

it comes off really easily and it doesn't loose stickness. Like the other member said, no air bubbles. It's thick and easy to navigate.

Last edited:

chris001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Vancouver
Looks cool...
After the computer has "warmed up", how does the skin feel?

RGDS,

The skin feels the same in my opinion. The texture is really nice. The heat from the computer after it warms up doesn't affect it at all.
Let's put it this way, I don't notice any changes and I can't tell a difference when the computer is a sleep or when it's running.

:cool:
Your top lid sticker looks like a better fit than the iCarbon's

Check out mine: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1432555/

Next test: Will it stand the test of time at $13?!

Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah It fits really well around my macbook. Have you tried stretching it? Mine stretches pretty easily if you need it to. I didn't, but on my keyboard cover, I stretched it a little to cover more area.
Whoa, I didn't know the iCarbon skin was so expensive? There is one thing I like about the iCarbon is the internal skin for the keyboard.

This skin will last a LONG time, I guarantee it. The quality of the skin is really good. You can tell when you are applying it. It's not thin, but not too thick to add width to the macbook, and it's very sturdy. The texture and feel you get from it is really nice.

And even if it doesn't last, it's only $13. That's the best part about it! You can always buy another one.

btw, you have some hilarious comments on your thread.
"I don't get why people put stickers on their computer..." err? because we want to?
Some people are just too ridiculous.

```

I think my favourite part are the keyboard stickers for the keys. They give the computer a new fresh look as well as protecting the main keys from getting worn and oil from your hands.
On my old macbook that was a problem. After about 6-12months you could see the wear on the keys, also the oil marks too. With the skin on the keys, this solves that problem! I used to use a keyboard cover, but this is a better option in my opinion.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.