Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
I have a Zagg Invisible Shield on the back of my iPhone 5, because I was worried that the metal would get scratched from daily setting it down on tables, and so forth. But... the Invisible Shield is kind of stained blueish, probably from my dark blue jeans. It kinda just looks ugly. See the picture. I'd really like to just go naked with the phone, but I don't want any significant scratching. Small stuff here and there is okay, but I didn't know how suseptable to scratches the metal is. I never had an case on my iPhone 4 (for over 2 years), and it the glass was great because it didn't really show scratches. Am I worrying too much about a naked iPhone 5?https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6gk877s167i1r0/IMG_0308.jpg

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I have the white iPhone 5 and carry it without a case in my pants pocket (jeans usually). I have observed no scratches to the back, luckily for the white iphone, the backing seems less scratch prone than the black one. The only scratches even remotely visible are on the shiny little metal apple logo on the back.

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Thanks everybody. I might be taking off the invisible shield this weekend now that I've seen everybody's comments.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
I have a black iPhone 5 with no scratches on the back. It's pretty tough as long as you aren't too abusive with it.

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
White iPhone 5 since day one. Completely naked. No significant scratches. I lay it on tables/flat surfaces all the time. I keep it in my front pocket with no other objects.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Very faint hairline scratches on the aluminum shiny edge, but I would really have to hold up it and inspect. Still looks like new after a month. Btw, the Invisibleshield doesn't look too bad, gives it a smoked look. :)

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Black with no scratches but a couple of nicks on the bezel around the corners. Both of them from when I knocked it off the night stand about 2 feet and it hit the baseboard on the wall.

jackwills

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
New York, NY
I used my iPhone 4 naked all the time but the iPhone 5 need a case to protect the edges... Black paint just came off the edges.. Couldnt stand that:(:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.