Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:46 PM   #1
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Oscar 2013 show opinons

Lots of hot women and boobies!

Daniels acceptance speech was great!
Best picture acceptance speeches also memorable.

Seth did a really good job for his first try, bad jokes n all.

Well?
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:24 AM   #2
diazj3
macrumors 6502a

No surprises here, except for two:

1. The Zero Dark Thirty tie with Skyfall in Best Sound Editing... I guess the had to give something to Zero Dark Thirty, as it's sort of a US military/CIA B.S. propaganda film. Exactly the same thing happened with The Hurt Locker 3 years ago, same director (Kathryn Bigelow), same B.S. propaganda film exploiting lame redneck war theories to sell movie tickets.

2. Best Documentary Feature going to Searching for Sugar Man, and leaving out three others that were far superior: The Gatekeepers; Five Broken Cameras; and The Invisible War... I guess here too, politics played a heavy role in determining the winner, but as documentary films go, the other ones hold much more value - and courage - to make. The first two, about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and the third one, about the systemic rape cases in the US military against women. All of them touchy subjects for Hollywood. They played it light & safe and went for the one about music.

I know the Oscars are a sham all right... but they are getting way too shameless.

As for all the others, no big surprises. Argo was OK, also politically correct propaganda without much artistic merit. Lincoln's historical inaccuracies and Daniel Day Lewis also not a surprise, but boring as hell.

Frankly speaking, this years' nominations were a bit mediocre. I guess the thing I liked the most was that Zero Dark Thirty didn't win anything relevant. I would be a real shame if they pulled another Hurt Locker move again.

Cheers!
diazj3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:48 AM   #3
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by diazj3 View Post
No surprises here, except for two:

1. The Zero Dark Thirty tie with Skyfall in Best Sound Editing... I guess the had to give something to Zero Dark Thirty, as it's sort of a US military/CIA B.S. propaganda film. Exactly the same thing happened with The Hurt Locker 3 years ago, same director (Kathryn Bigelow), same B.S. propaganda film exploiting lame redneck war theories to sell movie tickets.

2. Best Documentary Feature going to Searching for Sugar Man, and leaving out three others that were far superior: The Gatekeepers; Five Broken Cameras; and The Invisible War... I guess here too, politics played a heavy role in determining the winner, but as documentary films go, the other ones hold much more value - and courage - to make. The first two, about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, and the third one, about the systemic rape cases in the US military against women. All of them touchy subjects for Hollywood. They played it light & safe and went for the one about music.

I know the Oscars are a sham all right... but they are getting way too shameless.

As for all the others, no big surprises. Argo was OK, also politically correct propaganda without much artistic merit. Lincoln's historical inaccuracies and Daniel Day Lewis also not a surprise, but boring as hell.

Frankly speaking, this years' nominations were a bit mediocre. I guess the thing I liked the most was that Zero Dark Thirty didn't win anything relevant. I would be a real shame if they pulled another Hurt Locker move again.

Cheers!
The **** you talking about.

I thought Seth did a great job, they knew what they were getting when they hired him. The show went on far too long as usual. Maybe cut out the red carpet crap and start the show at an earlier time and it would end before midnight.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:11 AM   #4
diazj3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
The **** you talking about.
Relax! sorry... was that too much for you?

Ok, how about this:

The colors were pretty, the lights were shiny and the people beautiful!

Quote:
I thought Seth did a great job, they knew what they were getting when they hired him. The show went on far too long as usual. Maybe cut out the red carpet crap and start the show at an earlier time and it would end before midnight.
I totally agree.

Cheers!
diazj3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:26 AM   #5
maflynn

I was underwhelmed by Seth, its not like I don't like his work, i.e., Family Guy is wicked funny, but he just didn't seem like a good fit.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:39 AM   #6
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

I thought it was fine. I go in with the mindset that the awards show is for them, not for me. So long as they enjoy their show that's fine. If I don't, I'm free to turn it off and do other things.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:14 AM   #7
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Seth was great.

I thought the best acceptance speech was the Life of Pi Cinematographer. I don't think he had a complete sentence. lol
obeygiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Lyle
macrumors 68000

One of the highlights for me was Dame Shirley Bassey (age 76!) singing "Goldfinger" and nailing it. Very cool, and a great night for her I thought. I also found myself unexpectedly um, distracted by Catherine Zeta-Jones' performance of "All that Jazz". Michael Douglas is one lucky little old man.

I was glad to see the wins for Adele and Jennifer Lawrence, if only because they both still seem like regular people, unaffected by their successes.

Seth McFarlane did what he had to do. He was funny enough, in that safe, Oscar-presenter sort of way, but I didn't have any laugh out loud moments. The Chris Brown joke was probably his best of the night, but I saw that one coming from a mile away. I guess I'm in the camp that Billy Crystal set the Oscar-hosting standard that no one yet has come close to.

The Les Mis cast performance, which I was sort of looking forward to, kinda fell flat. And I had not heard that the Bond thing got cancelled, and so I kept waiting for those guys to show up and then they never did.
Lyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:38 AM   #9
TG1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I was underwhelmed by Seth, its not like I don't like his work, i.e., Family Guy is wicked funny, but he just didn't seem like a good fit.
Agreed. He'd be great for the MTV awards or something similar. The Oscars just seemed out of his league.

Last edited by TG1; Feb 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM.
TG1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Efrem
macrumors member

Quote:
...Maybe cut out the red carpet crap and start the show at an earlier time and it would end before midnight.
That's fine for you in Connecticut, but it already starts at 5:30 in all of the western U.S. (including the place that it's held in). How much earlier do you want it? Some people out there have day jobs, you know.

I agree that it could be shorter, though.
Efrem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:06 AM   #11
hallux
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
That's fine for you in Connecticut, but it already starts at 5:30 in all of the western U.S. (including the place that it's held in). How much earlier do you want it? Some people out there have day jobs, you know.

Day jobs, yet it's held on a Sunday (when MOST "day jobs" aren't in play) and those of us in the East actually have to get up early the day after for our "day job" that starts at 7 or 8 AM Eastern.

I've never paid much attention to Seth's work, I thought he was good (though no Billy Crystal like was mentioned). Jennifer Lawrence looked amazing (when DOESN'T she?), Kristen Stewart looked like she was on something and like she hadn't eaten in a week, I'm happy for Affleck and Clooney for the best picture win.

I couldn't tell if the bit with Ted was CG or if it was an animatronic Ted standing on the stool. Looked like it was CG as when camera angles changed even the stool was gone.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:12 AM   #12
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallux View Post
Kristen Stewart looked like she was on something and like she hadn't eaten in a week
She was on crutches... well not on camera... but I heard she was supposed to be on crutches. That's why she hobbled out to present and I think why she seemed twitchy on the red carpet. Otherwise that's just normal Kristen Stewart I think. Although she may have been on meds. Not sure why she was on crutches and don't care enough to google it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallux View Post
I couldn't tell if the bit with Ted was CG or if it was an animatronic Ted standing on the stool. Looked like it was CG as when camera angles changed even the stool was gone.
It was CG.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:48 AM   #13
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efrem View Post

Start the show right on the hour, not a half hour later. They spend more time on the red carpet crap that it delays the show.

Jennifer Hudson's performance was the best thing of the night.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:10 PM   #14
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
She was on crutches... well not on camera... but I heard she was supposed to be on crutches. That's why she hobbled out to present and I think why she seemed twitchy on the red carpet. Otherwise that's just normal Kristen Stewart I think. Although she may have been on meds. Not sure why she was on crutches and don't care enough to google it.

It was CG.
So Mark Walberg was talking to a chair like Clint Eastwood ?

That is funny now.

I'm glad Life of Pi won the most. It looks like a great storyline.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:00 PM   #15
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
It looks like a great storyline.
Life if Pi was a great movie, everyone should see it.

----------

Seth is fearless! lol
obeygiant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:30 PM   #16
RenoG
macrumors 6502a

Oscars, pissst I stopped watching that hoax award show many years ago...Its just as rigged, corrupt, bias, racist as the industry it represents.
They don't call it show BUSINESS for nothing.

Yup I came here just to post this..
RenoG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:34 PM   #17
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post

Seth is fearless! lol

Fearless would be doing that joke at the Grammy's or MTV awards.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:31 PM   #18
pivo6
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Fearless would be doing that joke at the Grammy's or MTV awards.
or the BET awards.

Did anyone else find it strange that the orchestra was in a different building?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:40 PM   #19
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo6 View Post
or the BET awards.

Did anyone else find it strange that the orchestra was in a different building?
I would like to know how much redundancy they had in doing that. You woud never know they were not on site. The bandwidth must have been huge.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:04 PM   #20
cuestakid
macrumors 68000

For those who did not know who Seth was, I am sorry that this was your introduction to him. This is who he is. Was he over the top sometimes-yes. Should anyone have been surprised? Absolutely not.

On the best documentary-as soon as it was announced my reaction was they picked the least controversial film as picking any one of the others would create more negative publicity than good.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:26 PM   #21
malman89
macrumors 65816

Didn't watch a second of it live. Watched some clips this morning during breakfast just to see the hubbub around Seth's bits. They were mostly pretty good.

Biased, but huge fan of the Best Documentary winner - nice win for a Detroit and South African icon. We don't have enough opportunities to say "Hah!" in Detroit these days.

I admittedly didn't watch the other nominated docs this year - a first - because I've been too busy to watch many movies this year.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion