Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:48 PM   #26
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawmp1 View Post
As smartphones become more similar than dissimilar, your message must be more nuanced.
I'm inclined to believe this. If you think about it, when looking at all smartphones in general (from every OS) you realise that they're all basically the exact same thing. Yes, each OS might have some things it does that others don't, but really they're all the same. It becomes more of a challenge to differentiate them and make your smartphone stand out from the crowd.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:00 PM   #27
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

So Apple always took jab at Microsoft/PC, and now at Samsung. Why the surprise?
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:26 PM   #28
Mellisaray
Banned

well, i agree with your opinion, Apple should realize this issue, for the slogan, it is really stupid.
Mellisaray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:31 PM   #29
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
So Apple always took jab at Microsoft/PC, and now at Samsung. Why the surprise?
It's not a jab more like a parry.

The iPhone represents one of the symbolic achievements of human civilization from the birth of the universe until now and is a feat of humanity akin to landing on the moon and the atomic bomb.

iPhone represents one of the peaks of human civilization and the competition are just imitators of it.

They should continue to act that way. Not lower themselves to petty competitions.

Last I checked the GUI and touch response was still far off on the Note 2/G3 compared to the iPhone 5. They may have similar features but they are not the same and they should not concede that they are the same but rather maintain superiority.
Bobby Corwen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:33 PM   #30
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Corwen View Post

The iPhone represents one of the symbolic achievements of human civilization from the birth of the universe until now and is a feat of humanity akin to landing on the moon and the atomic bomb.

iPhone represents one of the peaks of human civilization and the competition are just imitators of it.

They should continue to act that way. Not lower themselves to petty competitions.

Last I checked the GUI and touch response was still far off on the Note 2/G3 compared to the iPhone 5. They may have similar features but they are not the same and they should not concede that they are the same but rather maintain superiority.
An apple lover here, but peaks of human civillization , symbolic achivement since the birth of civillization , well then ok !

Last edited by AnorexicPig; Mar 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM.
AnorexicPig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:00 AM   #31
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
OP has a point. Apple never took jabs at competitors until Tim took over the reins.

*cough*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_a_Mac

*cough*
The Get a Mac campaign has been one of the most successful advertisement campaigns of all time. Worked for millions of people and are extremely recognisable and memorable.
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)
shenfrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:11 AM   #32
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnorexicPig View Post
An apple lover here, but peaks of human civillization , symbolic achivement since the birth of civillization , well then ok !
No kidding, holy carpfish!!!!

P.S: @ the OP I don't consider the atomic bomb a great achievment at all.
decafjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:31 AM   #33
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawmp1 View Post
As the competitors are trying to paint iPhone users are mindless, elitist sheep, and a cheaper iPhone is rumored to be on the horizon, perhaps Apple is trying to soften some of that elitist image.

As smartphones become more similar than dissimilar, your message must be more nuanced.
Its quite sad that marketing has gone down this route where we now can't buy what we like without being labelled or judged. I've encountered a couple of occasions recently where I've been in a social situation and have been interrogated as to why I have an iPhone.

I was at a wedding just before Christmas and was using my phone after the dinner to take a few snaps of the room when this friend of a friend brought up the topic of phones. He's had few and thought the perfect ice breaker when meeting me was to tell me how rubbish the iPhone was and how those that buy it are iSheep! I just smiled and said 'well I really like it'... He happened to have a Samsung S3 and proceeded to state how his phone was brilliant, telling me it can do 20 times more than the iPhone bla, bla, bla, then my wife said that I used to have that phone before this one!! It was like we had thrown boiling hot oil over his children. He went on and on about how I must have been mad to ged rid of a brilliant phone for a rubbish one until it got a little awkward. I just said 'look mate I bought it because I liked it and couldn't give a damn what other people prefer to use'.

Its just bizarre how this debate is all over the internet and now we can't make trivial choices without offending people. There is no right or wrong answer, you just buy what you like and to heel with everybody else
Old Mar 20, 2013, 02:08 PM   #34
DarwinOSX
macrumors 65816

Its called advertising and your average consumer doesn't notice a thing.

Quote:
Just went to the Apple home page and saw the new iPhone tagline.

Um, who is writing these things?

It doesnt matter what is going on in the landscape, official Apple advertising should always have an assumed superiority and indifference to any presumed competition.

This new slogan "Thats why so many people do"

No really? Why are you telling us that obvious fact.

Stick to being abstract and God-like otherwise it will take away from the image which is generating all those sales in the first place.

Another mis-step in the post-J era.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 02:34 PM   #35
Auxo
macrumors 6502

If and when iPhone 6 shows up with it's larger screen and iOS 7 - I think this idea will vanish quite fast.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 02:50 PM   #36
nefan65
macrumors 65816

I showed my weakness in a meeting once, and I know at least half the room smelled it...
Old Mar 21, 2013, 04:50 PM   #37
beMaC
macrumors member

Quote:

Aren't you taking this a bit too far? Peak of human civilization? Are you for real? Its a bloody phone! So your basically saying everything after iPhone is inferior since its past the peak. wow.
beMaC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 06:42 PM   #38
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by beMaC View Post
Aren't you taking this a bit too far? Peak of human civilization? Are you for real? Its a bloody phone! So your basically saying everything after iPhone is inferior since its past the peak. wow.
What's your take on it then ?

Where and how else would you classify the iPhone?
Bobby Corwen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 07:03 PM   #39
617aircav
macrumors 68000

Quote:

A popular phone.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 07:14 PM   #40
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
A popular phone.
Youre not taking into consideration all the significance...
Old Mar 21, 2013, 07:30 PM   #41
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:

A more difficult but more popular way to do things you could do on smartphones before the iPhone? Ohh! It has iPod functionality? Now the headphone jack is on the bottom!

Personally I don't get it. Just a phone to me. Nothing cutting edge I couldn't do before it was invented. iMessage and FaceTime are nice, I use one to see boobs and the other to talk about them.

You act like Apple want to accomplish more then moving money from your bank account to theirs.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 07:41 PM   #42
617aircav
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Youre not taking into consideration all the significance...
How do you mean?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 08:43 PM   #43
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
How do you mean?
The totality of the device in the context of how it empowers the average human being.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:15 PM   #44
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Just went to the Apple home page and saw the new iPhone tagline.

Um, who is writing these things?

It doesnt matter what is going on in the landscape, official Apple advertising should always have an assumed superiority and indifference to any presumed competition.

This new slogan "Thats why so many people do"

No really? Why are you telling us that obvious fact.

Stick to being abstract and God-like otherwise it will take away from the image which is generating all those sales in the first place.

Another mis-step in the post-J era.
Hmmmm you see all that? All I see a guy that really worries too much what apple has on their website. You'll be ok, take a deep breath and live life.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:51 AM   #45
beMaC
macrumors member

Quote:
The totality of the device in the context of how it empowers the average human being.
So your saying there will be no advancements in say 50-100 years time? Everything from then on will be inferior to the iPhone?
beMaC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:20 PM   #46
617aircav
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Are you speaking about computers in general, if so I agree.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:35 PM   #47
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
^^^ All of these are in-sync though! Some are even God-like, like, "Finally". Imagine an Apple rep pulling out your phone from the back and handing it to you: "Finally." (smiles) lol. Or "touching is believing." Or the mono-theistic self absorbed "The biggest thing to happen to iPhone since iPhone."

The one right now is not like the others. Theres no wry layer of salesmanship or presentation.

Its not a closer.

If you read through those above youll realize they are all things that are very confident and one line summaries you can say at the end of a sales pitch.

Witht the new odd-man-out slogan, theres something generic and desperate. Its such a flat unnecessary statement: "Loving it is easy. That's why so many people do." -It lacks confidence, its redundant in a lame way, its uninspired, its not a true closing statement, more like an opener because as a closing statement you dont do anything but "assume the sale" rather than make a misguided plea. It comes off also like its about competing with a competitor by numbers, not quality. Who cares what "so many people" are doing? Its supposed to be what the assumed "best" product is and what the "best" people are choosing. Not the most. Theres a subtle difference.

The implications of it are not in the spirit of those previous closers.

ABC = Always Be Closing.

The new statement isnt closing you anymore, its trying to convince you. Its selling itself short with its' overall paradigm choice.

----------

"If you dont have an iPhone, well, you dont have an iPhone."

Thats a very subtly clever grammatical redundancy in a good way. Like as implying the iPhone is the end all be all and no competition exists. Its ironic simplicity implies a confidence that the new one lacks.

Imagine youre an Apple rep giving a small presentation to a customer. You say a bunch of facts and then to sum it all up as a closing statement you drop it like youve run out of ways to describe it: "If you dont have an iPhone, well, you dont have an iPhone..." HHAHAHAHAHAHA. Everyone lets out a big laugh.

While if your closing statement is,

"Loving it is easy. That's why so many people do..." ..............? Um Ok Tim I believe you I guess... :/

Thats not quite a closer, its more like a desperate plea to be believed that everyone likes it.
I don't think you are in the position to talk about anyone else's grammar!
Old Mar 22, 2013, 01:41 PM   #48
lemxx
macrumors newbie

I don't know about other places but iPhone is still a hit in our country even if its much expensive than the galaxy s3 I still see many people own it, its not just the specs or the popularity in the polls or charts, iPhone gives satisfaction to the regular consumers and also the support that they give to their customers is good.
lemxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 05:50 PM   #49
lelisa13p
macrumors 65816

After completely ignoring this thread for days, I wish I'd continued to do so.

Recommend OP get an olfactory check-up, too. He seems to have a malfunction.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone