Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:10 PM   #426
BMcCoy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
From a newMacRumors post.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Gurman also says that the iPhone 5S home button will not take on a convex shape and that it will in fact be nearly indistinguishable from the current design.
So that hopefully puts an end to the convex button rumour.
BMcCoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 09:38 PM   #427
wmukj
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MI -we got lakes! I am not near any of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manu chao View Post
How would anybody come up with the idea that one will not be able to turn it off? Look through the settings app on your iPhone, you can turn off pretty much everything.
I was just messing around. I know most everything can be turned off, EXCEPT government alerts. Which means we are never truly out of reach.
wmukj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2013, 07:02 PM   #428
Mums
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleVsAndroid View Post
Then stick with iPhone 5.

If government wants they can even track your smelly hole down there 24 x 365 if they want so shut up
Your hole may be smelly and probably is. However, I practice exemplary anal hygiene.
Mums is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 07:17 AM   #429
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zellio View Post

Well I'll respond to your link with this:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...gship-devices/

The sales fell off later on, but the sales of the One definitely fixed things from the year before. Not only that, but it was easily the best phone of the year.
All that report says is that the HTC One is selling better than any HTC phone from last year.

But HTC isn't even a top 5 vendor anymore... and they haven't been in a while.

I'm curious why you're mentioning HTC in a discussion about sales performance.

Earlier you said "Apple is falling behind"

Funny... Apple is outselling HTC by 4:1
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:20 AM   #430
Zellio
macrumors 6502a
 
Zellio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
All that report says is that the HTC One is selling better than any HTC phone from last year.

But HTC isn't even a top 5 vendor anymore... and they haven't been in a while.

I'm curious why you're mentioning HTC in a discussion about sales performance.

Earlier you said "Apple is falling behind"

Funny... Apple is outselling HTC by 4:1
Have you actually used the HTC One? It not only reversed HTC's fortunes but it's also currently the phone of the year. Anybody who has used it can you (Such as me, it's my phone).

I never cared about HTC before the One.

So sales to you are the only factor that shows if a company is falling behind? Then expect to be completely caught off guard when sales drop, the same that happened to companies like RIM or Sony with the PS3.
__________________
2012 iMac i7,16 gb,680mx/2009 iMac I5/27" ACD
2012 13" MacBook Retina,8 gb,256 ssd/2010 11.6" MacBook Air
iPad Air/iPad Mini Retina/CoreDuo MacMini/iMac G3/G4/Apple Tv 1,3/iPod Nano 6/iPod 5.5 80
Zellio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:43 AM   #431
Truefan31
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by xumax View Post
Finally somebody with a clear mind. Thanks and good to know such people still exist beside the mob of brainwashed blind sheeps.
" Oh I am so excited, about this new ..." Says the lazy pig and gets fatter for slaughter.

If you think you can switch it off:
How you know its really off, like the camera lens in front of your face ...
How you know that it can't be switched on without your notice?

Its impossible says apple ....... Yes right.... Now we feel better....

Wake up guys! This is not the so called wet dream.
They cum already! ( and are funny laughing about the pigs paying premium for their own imprisonment and observation.)

Iwill never buy an apple product again, under such circumstances.
That seems to be the only thing one can do, to hold up freedom for our children.
As if the money wont roll in, they listen up and hopefully change.
One can hope, but as I read along .... I know ..... You are so excited....
Wtf really man calm down

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zellio View Post
Have you actually used the HTC One? It not only reversed HTC's fortunes but it's also currently the phone of the year. Anybody who has used it can you (Such as me, it's my phone).

I never cared about HTC before the One.

So sales to you are the only factor that shows if a company is falling behind? Then expect to be completely caught off guard when sales drop, the same that happened to companies like RIM or Sony with the PS3.
Idk if they release 2 iPhones, with the china mobile deal too, I don't think you'll see sales drop this time. Maybe the iPhone 5s alone, but as the iPhone in whole prolly not.
Truefan31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:54 AM   #432
thedeske
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by xumax View Post
Finally somebody with a clear mind. Thanks and good to know such people still exist beside the mob of brainwashed blind sheeps.
" Oh I am so excited, about this new ..." Says the lazy pig and gets fatter for slaughter.

If you think you can switch it off:
How you know its really off, like the camera lens in front of your face ...
How you know that it can't be switched on without your notice?

Its impossible says apple ....... Yes right.... Now we feel better....

Wake up guys! This is not the so called wet dream.
They cum already! ( and are funny laughing about the pigs paying premium for their own imprisonment and observation.)

Iwill never buy an apple product again, under such circumstances.
That seems to be the only thing one can do, to hold up freedom for our children.
As if the money wont roll in, they listen up and hopefully change.
One can hope, but as I read along .... I know ..... You are so excited....
These thoughts never gets past the point of why Big Ol Brother would be concerned with little ol me in the vast millions. It's possible one of us is very special and needs secrecy. I wish him well
thedeske is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:06 PM   #433
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68000
 
PinkyMacGodess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Midwest America.
I hope it doesn't come with a fingerprint sensor. That is so 'last decade'. I had a fingerprint sensor on an older notebook, and it was a waste of time. I entered multiple fingers, just in case, and still had moments when I had to enter the 'secret pass phrase' like I was trying to get into Calvin's G.R.O.S.S. club... Does any other phone have a finger print sensor? It's a waste and downright silly!

Click image for larger version

Name:	graham_chapman_colonel.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	432000
PinkyMacGodess is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:20 PM   #434
MacMan988
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post
One month to go... surprised we haven't seen any leaked shots of the front of the 5S.
maybe it doesn't have a front?
MacMan988 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:20 PM   #435
KenAFSPC
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyMacGodess View Post
I hope it doesn't come with a fingerprint sensor. That is so 'last decade'. I had a fingerprint sensor on an older notebook, and it was a waste of time. I entered multiple fingers, just in case, and still had moments when I had to enter the 'secret pass phrase' like I was trying to get into Calvin's G.R.O.S.S. club... Does any other phone have a finger print sensor? It's a waste and downright silly!
No other consumer device has ever had the type of sensor in the IP5S. Apple acquired the company right after they introduced the new sensor technology, but before it shipped. It is not an optical scanner. It uses radio waves to scan beneath your skin. According to th manufacturer (Authentec), it can image your print through a layer of plastic. The sensor can also be used as a touchpad-like navigation device for gestures, according to the manufacturer.

Unlike other, older technologies which require second or longer to scan and march your print, the new sensor technology can scan and match your print in 0.5sec or less.
KenAFSPC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:24 PM   #436
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68000
 
PinkyMacGodess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Midwest America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan988 View Post
maybe it doesn't have a front?
Yeah, it's so fast, and so capable that it literally is too fast to see the front...

Oh bother...

Click image for larger version

Name:	graham_chapman_colonel.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	432001
PinkyMacGodess is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:58 PM   #437
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAFSPC View Post
No other consumer device has ever had the type of sensor in the IP5S. Apple acquired the company right after they introduced the new sensor technology, but before it shipped. It is not an optical scanner. It uses radio waves to scan beneath your skin. ...
RF fingerprint scanners date back to before this century. (I love saying that.)

AuthenTec apparently has invented (or acquired) something new, but RF scanning alone isn't it.

More interestingly, the proxy document that everyone quotes from (see below), indicates that their invention might be outside of their normal product range.

So it might not be a fingerprint reader at all. Perhaps it's some kind of gesture sensor instead. We'll know soon enough.

Quote:
Our board and senior management regularly review and assess our long-term strategy and objectives in light of developments in the markets in which we operate, including strategic alternatives available to the Company to enhance stockholder value. As part of this process, our board and management regularly consider opportunities that could complement, enhance or expand our current business or products or that might otherwise offer growth opportunities for the Company. As a result, we acquired several companies and businesses during the past few years. In addition, multiple parties approached the Company regarding possible strategic transactions over the last two years and the Company engaged in preliminary conversations with these parties from time to time. Other than the discussions described below, such approaches never developed past preliminary conversations and preliminary exchanges of confidential information about the Company.

Late in 2011 and early in 2012, the Company discussed new technology with several leading consumer electronics companies to gauge potential market interest for such a product. For a number of reasons, including cost, Apple was the only potential customer that expressed substantive interest in pursuing further development of and a commercial agreement with respect to this technology.


- merger document

Last edited by kdarling; Sep 7, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
kdarling is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 01:21 PM   #438
dirk gently
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: MN
In the other thread about the new supposed leaked pics showing a ring around the home button, I tried to explain the evidence supporting the existence of a fingerprint sensor on the iphone 5S. Upon further research, I am fairly certain I was wrong about the specifics.

The 5S fingerprint sensor will be based on the AuthenTec radio frequency (RF) imaging technology, which Apple acquired last year in the purchase of AuthenTec. This technology likely achieved a significant improvement since it was last released commercially by authentec (improved performance, longer life, etc). The sensor will be integrated into the 5S's home button.

Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone-5s-home.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	432002
As you can see in this detailed part leak photo, the sensor is in the center of the metal disc, which would lie directly under the button. The fingerprint processor is the adjacent square directly down the ribbon cable.

The sapphire composition of the home button makes sense because it would be important to keep the integrity of the finger/sensor interface maintained and free of wear. The metal ring surrounding the home button is also key to this technology. Electrical contact with the users finger is needed for this RF imaging method to work. Interestingly, this metal ring could be constructed out of Apple's acquired LiquidMetal technology, which is reported to be transparent to RF. So this ring will NOT be an indicator light or anything.

I still find it odd that the button had to be made convex in shape. A typical finger would be flush with the regular concave shaped button. Maybe it was necessary to fit the sensor correctly and have the exact tolerances of dielectric thickness.
dirk gently is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 01:37 PM   #439
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk gently View Post
As you can see in this detailed part leak photo, the sensor is in the center of the metal disc, which would lie directly under the button.
I dunno. Looks pretty similar to a normal home button.

An RF sensor would normally have an array of metallic pixels (antennas).

Quote:
The fingerprint processor is the adjacent square directly down the ribbon cable.
It looks like whatever goes on the square is missing.

Quote:
The sapphire composition of the home button makes sense because it would be important to keep the integrity of the finger/sensor interface maintained and free of wear.
Sapphire makes no technical sense at all. For one thing, it's expensive to make and cut. More importantly, fingerprint sensors already use a carbon layer that's HARDER than sapphire. The only reason to use it would be to sound "cool".

Quote:
The metal ring surrounding the home button is also key to this technology. Electrical contact with the users finger is needed for this RF imaging method to work.
The retaining ring around the button above, though, isn't that ring.

Quote:
Interestingly, this metal ring could be constructed out of Apple's acquired LiquidMetal technology, which is reported to be transparent to RF. So this ring will NOT be an indicator light or anything.
LiquidMetal is NOT transparent to RF. It can conduct RF. Which is why it could used for a ring antenna, if there is one.

Quote:
I still find it odd that the button had to be made convex in shape. A typical finger would be flush with the regular concave shaped button. Maybe it was necessary to fit the sensor correctly and have the exact tolerances of dielectric thickness.
As you said, convex would distort the finger and makes no sense.
kdarling is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 02:15 PM   #440
dirk gently
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: MN
Quote:
I dunno. Looks pretty similar to a normal home button.

An RF sensor would normally have an array of metallic pixels (antennas).
You be the judge. As to what the sensor should look like, I don't know, this may be something not seen before.
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone_5s_home_button_sep13.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	432019

Quote:
It looks like whatever goes on the square is missing.
I see that now that I look closer. Looks like connection pins are exposed, still waiting for the IC to be attached. In any case, thats where the processor will go

Quote:
Sapphire makes no technical sense at all. For one thing, it's expensive to make and cut. More importantly, fingerprint sensors already use a carbon layer that's HARDER than sapphire. The only reason to use it would be to sound "cool".
Apple already uses sapphire on the camera windows. Why not use it again here? A large curved piece may be expensive.. I dont know what they are using, but I wouldn't think a "carbon" layer would work at all here.

Quote:
The retaining ring around the button above, though, isn't that ring.
No, I'm talking about the images leaked of the 5S box showing a metallic ring surrounding the home button. Its not pictured in the parts leak photos.

Quote:
LiquidMetal is NOT transparent to RF. It can conduct RF. Which is why it could used for a ring antenna, if there is one.
I don't know the facts on this. There was speculation that depending on the alloy it may be RF transparent. The important part for a finger print sensor is that its electrically conductive. So they probably could not use black anodized aluminum here, which would hide the appearance of the ring somewhat.
dirk gently is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 03:16 PM   #441
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68000
 
PinkyMacGodess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Midwest America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk gently View Post
You be the judge. As to what the sensor should look like, I don't know, this may be something not seen before.

I see that now that I look closer. Looks like connection pins are exposed, still waiting for the IC to be attached. In any case, that's where the processor will go
That square could also be a way that they are mounting the button now for some reason. The flat ribbon cable doesn't look wide enough to carry much in the way of signal short of 'yep it's pushed/no it's not' and maybe a back-light. (Could that be what the dark dot in the center is? Some kind of new notification system?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk gently View Post
Apple already uses sapphire on the camera windows. Why not use it again here? A large curved piece may be expensive.. I don't know what they are using, but I wouldn't think a "carbon" layer would work at all here.
Sapphire, aside from what people think, is actually rather fragile. I've had the crystals replaced on two very high end watches that had 'sapphire crystals'. One cracked in such a way that really surprised me. Sure, in small sizes, sapphire would be stronger, but then so would standard glass and the Gorilla Glass would be even stronger. It's possible that it might be due to light refraction, or some other physical quality of the substance, but sapphire isn't 'all that'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk gently View Post
No, I'm talking about the images leaked of the 5S box showing a metallic ring surrounding the home button. Its not pictured in the parts leak photos.

I don't know the facts on this. There was speculation that depending on the alloy it may be RF transparent. The important part for a finger print sensor is that its electrically conductive. So they probably could not use black anodized aluminum here, which would hide the appearance of the ring somewhat.
I would be very surprised if Apple, or anyone for that matter, could turn around a newly acquired technology companies product for use in a freshly designed new device in under, what, 2 months? Not unless they were already a customer of said company, and the salesperson said 'Hey, crazy idea I know, at least that's what we said in the break room, but instead of buying our technology, why not buy the whole damn company'. Is it possible? Well yeah, anything is 'possible'. Physicists are still wondering why when we blink our eyes, the whole universe is still there when our eyes open, but it sounds like a real tall order. What is more likely... We'll all, like everything, have to wait and see...
PinkyMacGodess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 03:30 PM   #442
borgqueenx
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xumax View Post
Finally somebody with a clear mind. Thanks and good to know such people still exist beside the mob of brainwashed blind sheeps.
" Oh I am so excited, about this new ..." Says the lazy pig and gets fatter for slaughter.

If you think you can switch it off:
How you know its really off, like the camera lens in front of your face ...
How you know that it can't be switched on without your notice?

Its impossible says apple ....... Yes right.... Now we feel better....

Wake up guys! This is not the so called wet dream.
They cum already! ( and are funny laughing about the pigs paying premium for their own imprisonment and observation.)

Iwill never buy an apple product again, under such circumstances.
That seems to be the only thing one can do, to hold up freedom for our children.
As if the money wont roll in, they listen up and hopefully change.
One can hope, but as I read along .... I know ..... You are so excited....
Oh boy...i am so glad i dont live so fearful as you do. And even if they get my fingerprints, i dont really give much shitz about that....my dutch ID card also required multiple finger prints. Whats the deal?
borgqueenx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 05:24 PM   #443
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk gently View Post
Apple already uses sapphire on the camera windows. Why not use it again here? A large curved piece may be expensive.. I dont know what they are using, but I wouldn't think a "carbon" layer would work at all here.
To work, current active capacitance (RF) sensors need to have a protection layer only a few microns thick.

Currently, that's often done by laying down silicon carbide. That is cheaper and harder than sapphire, which AFAIK cannot be cut or laid down that thin anyway.

Quote:
I don't know the facts on this. There was speculation that depending on the alloy it may be RF transparent.
This is why experienced engineers and developers hang around here. To help separate fact from fiction.

The rumor that Liquid Metal was RF transparent came about when one of its inventors was interviewed, and he made an off-hand remark about using an entire LM shell as the antenna. In other words, since it was a metal conductor, the only choice would be to go ahead and use it as a conductor.

His comment was soon twisted around by technically ignorant reporters, into a ridiculous suggestion that if LiquidMetal could be used as the shell, it must be radio transparent. They totally ignored the critical part about the entire case having to BE the antenna.

Cheers!

Edit: Found a reference here. "You can build casings with functional characteristics, and the alloy’s properties as an antenna can be optimized,” (LM co-inventor) Peker said.

Last edited by kdarling; Sep 7, 2013 at 07:41 PM.
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 09:10 PM   #444
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk gently View Post
You be the judge. As to what the sensor should look like, I don't know, this may be something not seen before.
Or perhaps the particular button and connector set photo we're all looking at, is still not the final one?

Rogifan posted a link to a very interesting article on Patently Apple, btw. It shows a patent picture of a sensor in a home button, and even talks about an inductive NFC antenna to the right of the button.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...me-button.html

So maybe all the rumors are true, after all.

(Note: fingerprint sensors along the sides of a case, or even inside buttons, are not a new idea. Some sensor companies advertise that they'll put one wherever you want.)
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:52 AM   #445
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zellio View Post

Have you actually used the HTC One? It not only reversed HTC's fortunes but it's also currently the phone of the year. Anybody who has used it can you (Such as me, it's my phone).

I never cared about HTC before the One.

So sales to you are the only factor that shows if a company is falling behind? Then expect to be completely caught off guard when sales drop, the same that happened to companies like RIM or Sony with the PS3.
It's not only sales... it's also money that indicates a company is falling behind.

HTC had an 83% drop in profit a while ago... and I'm not sure if the HTC One can fix that.

There are also predictions that HTC will have an operating loss in Q3 2013

As for sales... if not many people are buying HTC phones... it doesn't matter if they have the "the phone of the year"
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2013, 07:10 PM   #446
Tom2893
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: United Kingdom
I really don't see a fingerprint sensor happening. Would be cool though
__________________
iPhone 5S 16GB / iPad mini 16GB / MacBook Pro 13" mid 2012
Tom2893 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 01:11 PM   #447
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68000
 
PinkyMacGodess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Midwest America.
They did it! Interesting. Sounds like the 5S (5s?) will be the 'Droid-killer'?

It looks like they bent that ribbon cable over and the square bit fits OVER the round bit. It makes sense. Running the fingerprint scan off the main processor wouldn't tax it too hard, and it's not continuous apparently. It sound like a totally awesome iPhone... I think Apple proved they can innovate, and raised the bar...
PinkyMacGodess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 01:20 PM   #448
bkribbs
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Wait so is the home button capacitive now? Like I never need to click it?
bkribbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:04 PM   #449
trifero
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbital~debris View Post
To all those saying "not a chance" that Apple would ever use a convex button - I assume you've never owned/used an original iPod?
No convex button on 5S.
trifero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2014, 05:05 PM   #450
orbital~debris
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: England, UK, Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by trifero View Post
No convex button on 5S.
My original post stands. Apple did use a convex button on the original iPod.
Whether they did/did not use one on the 5s is irrelevant. I posted my comment to illustrate a reason why it was foolish to claim that Apple would in never potentially use a convex-shaped button.
orbital~debris is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC