Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adamx

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Hello everybody,
I have a question about the fusion drive please.
If I get an Imac 27" with a Fusion Drive is going to be a Unique HD with all together or it's going to be a Regular HD + a SSD 128Gb ?
Since I'm planning to order later a DIY from OWC to add a bigger SSD it's pretty important that I get that answer because if the Fusion Drive is a composition of 2 parts I will simply trash the 128 SSD to put the OWC SSD losing $200. In that case I guess it's better if I simply go with a regular 1TB HD and wait till the DIY Kit will be released so I can save $200 and get the SSD place empty just waiting for the OWC SSD to be placed.

Let me know,
Sorry for my english in advance :)
Thank you very much for the help!

Ps: There are some rumors about a possible release date for that DIY Kit from OWC?

Adamx

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
I can pay OWC to do all the dirty work in case, isn't a problem at all, but my question ether way is going to be relevant because if the SSD is a separate part I will get a $200 component sitting somewhere with no use at all after the OWC SSD upgrade.

Let me know,
thanks.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
The SSD is separate.. but it will probably be sitting around doing nothing anyway. It's a blade-style flash card only used in MBAs, rMBPs, and iMacs.

mistagogo

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
If OWC will make a DIY kit to add the SSD, it will be much cheaper and faster than apple option... the question is if you can wait until it's released, and if you're willing to open and re-tape your mac...

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Or you can just get external SSD and create a Fusion Drive out of that.
There are USB3 enclosures that achieve near internal speeds and are probably heck of a lot cheaper than paying OWC taking your iMac apart. Their blade-SSD is probably more expensive than regular SSD as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.