Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoukasVyntra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Hello,
First time poster here and sorry for the long post but i really need your' guys help.
I live in Europe and bought a verizon iphone 5 off ebay.
The iphone as the listing says is still in shrink wrap.
I asked the seller (100% positive feedback 300 sales) to ship it to a friend of mine in NY who is coming to Europe in a few days for Christmas to bring it with him so that i can avoid potential customs and high shipping. He agreed and shipped it.
Before he did he asked me if i wanted him to open and activate the phone told him no i would like it wrapped up to make sure i ll receive it brand new.
My friend is going to get it tomorrow and is coming back home in a few days.

The seller is worried that i may not be able to activate it over here.
He kindly asked me to tell my friend to open the box put the nano sim it comes with in so that it will get some signal so that he can do his ESN thingy

"Yeah I'm thinking the ESN might be locked to my phone number at least until activated.
I just don't want you to have to pay to ship it back inside the US to be activated and then shipped back.
"

Told him to call Verizon and find out and he said that:

"Basically the esn is on hold until the activation goes through. So even if you throw your nano sim in it, it won't activate until the original number is activated on it. I didn't realize it was going to do that or else I would have sold it as new but unwrapped.

I can call but they won't be able to so a thing until its activated - then I can switch esns on that line making it clear for you to use.

Hope that makes sense.
"

What do you suggest i do? Do i really need to ask my friend open it while still in the US and cooperate with the seller and activate it or even if i get it wrapped i will still be able to unlock/activate it just fine? I kinda wanted it wrapped up for several reasons plus i may sell it and i don't want to lose any resale value.

The seller btw is working for verizon wireless himself i don't know if that makes a difference.

Please please please someone expert or someone with similar experience help me out here only have a few days left before iphone leaves the US.

Thank you

P.S. At the end of the sale i asked him why hes selling it and he told me that he used his dad upgrade and reverted him back to his basic phone because hes never going to upgrade unless his old phone breaks. Don't know if this helps any.

Last edited:

LoukasVyntra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks! what if someday the esn gets blacklisted due to reasons concerning his account. Will i still be able to activate/use it over here in europe?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.