Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TricellCEO

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
Aaaaannnnddd...problems gone...

I took off those four login items (Drop Box, Google Drive, Music Manager, and Magic Menu) and then began to tack them on, one-by-one, testing the system by launching Google Chrome (because I know if I can handle that, I'm good to go) and I was able to web browse just as well as I did before the system suddenly starting going at a sloth's pace.

I even did a system restart between each item added, and when I got to having all four...yeah, it was a little slow at startup, but that went away after a minute or so, and the slowness was not nearly as bad as what had been going on.

So...I'll still probably go to the Apple Store just to see if they can run some advanced diagnostics and see if there was some kind of underlying problem. That, and just to give them a status report on how semi-crappy Mavericks seems to be. I personally don't have too big of a problem with Mavericks, other than what they did with QuickTime...but that has its upsides as well.

Anyways...I digress...problem solved...for now...

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
I have both smcFanControl and iStat Pro. The fan speed is 0 rpm in both the apps. I have changed the fan speed in smcFanControl but nothing happened. I guess the exhaust fan is not working.

I don't have OS install disk. I tried to boot holding D key but it didn't work. I even tried connecting ethernet and booting but it didn't work too. Are there any other techniques for doing AHT?

I noticed the kernel_task is above 200% when I am watching movies or using flash and when the Mac is getting hot.

The CPU Temperature was 80-90C (not F)

80-90C is within high temp, but ok parameters. Mine is around 75. But I don't recommend you running your MBP without a working fan. As irrelevant as some may see it, it does help in dissipating the heat. You don't need to replace the motherboard to replace the fans. Easy swap.

As for the kernel issue, have you tried repairing permissions, or repairing volume directory blocks? Those are two main and simplest things to do whenever I troubleshoot. And most of the time, that's all it takes. I don't know about anyone else. But I stand by Disk Warrior for repairs. Has never failed me to repair software issues within the OS for years. You can also use Disk Utility to repair permissions.

mrleigh

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
unique kernel_task problem!

Hi,

I own a Macbook Pro running Mavericks. For the past few months i've been noticing more issues to add to my growing list. After i upgraded Mavericks almost straight away i discovered that it wouldn't wake up from being asleep ONLY when it's plugged into power. Then i got those horrible beeps (set of 3 beeps 5 times) every now and then. Every time i ran a system diagnostic report, the conclusion pointed to a problem with kernel_task. Only as recent as a few days ago, i've noticed the RAM being used by kernel_task is almost at 1GB and increasing. I also replaced & upgraded the RAM that was previously in it when i bought it second hand about 8 months ago and have installed a bigger 1TB HHD.
I've ALMOST done everything i can find in order to fix it. I've tried terminal commands, mavericks cache cleaner, ran spin dump, reset my SMC, tried to run safe mode to see if disabling 3rd party apps would calm kernel down but these are not working!
The 3rd last thing i'm going to try is repairing the permissions, then if that doesn't work, i'll consider reinstalling Mavericks and/or visiting an Apple Genius Bar but these two i REALLY don't want to do!

Here are some screenshots. Observe the crashes and spins section below.
PLEASE HELP ME!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 1.20.14 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 1.20.14 pm.png
    879.1 KB · Views: 418
  • Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 12.33.44 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 12.33.44 pm.png
    568 KB · Views: 389

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Then i got those horrible beeps (set of 3 beeps 5 times) every now and then.

The series of 3 beeps indicates a problem with RAM. Your screen captures don't show enough detail to find anything indicative of a problem.

kevb8ll

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2014
Hi

I have just got my macbook, so could do with some help.

I am seeing this problem too.

Here are my print screens.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    168.8 KB · Views: 397
  • 2.png
    2.png
    122.9 KB · Views: 356

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi

There is nothing wrong with kernel task in your screen cap. You do have something called "installer" there chewing up some memory. It looks like maybe the Adobe Flash installer is hung up.

Did you open the DMG to install Flash then not complete the install or eject the DMG?

Try a restart and take another look at Activity Monitor and see what your memory usage is then.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Hi

Ah, well, with that high memory pressure - you would benefit from more RAM.
Hope your MacBook is one that can be upgraded.

jo3kw

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2014
Memory used up

Hi, I noticed that most people on the forum who has memory problem has their chart red in colour. I noticed that for mine, it seems that I've only 0.02GB RAM remaining, but yet the memory pressure seems fine.

Do I need to get a new RAM to solve this problem?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 1.16.59 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-01 at 1.16.59 pm.png
    149.3 KB · Views: 348

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hi, I noticed that most people on the forum who has memory problem has their chart red in colour. I noticed that for mine, it seems that I've only 0.02GB RAM remaining, but yet the memory pressure seems fine.

Do I need to get a new RAM to solve this problem?

There are 1.49 GB used for "file cache". Every time your Mac reads something from the hard drive, it keeps a copy in memory, so the next time it doesn't need to read it again. That's better than leaving your RAM unused. As soon as your Mac needs memory for something more important, that memory is thrown out. You can try starting another app, and you will notice that the "file cache" amount goes down immediately.

In other words, it's not a problem, and you don't need more RAM.

uunknownn

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2014
Can you help me guys with the same problem ? kernel_task is eating a lot of memory,
please check and help .

Thank you.

Attachments

• Activity_Monitor__All_Processes__and_MacRumors_Forums.png
    Activity_Monitor__All_Processes__and_MacRumors_Forums.png
    267.9 KB · Views: 301
  • Activity_Monitor__All_Processes__and_MacRumors_Forums_and_Final_Cut_Pro_X.png
    Activity_Monitor__All_Processes__and_MacRumors_Forums_and_Final_Cut_Pro_X.png
    286.3 KB · Views: 360

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Can you help me guys with the same problem ? kernel_task is eating a lot of memory,
please check and help .

Thank you.

There is nothing at all abnormal about your readings there. KT is using memory like it should be and your memory pressure is green indicating you have plenty of memory available.

uunknownn

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2014
There is nothing at all abnormal about your readings there. KT is using memory like it should be and your memory pressure is green indicating you have plenty of memory available.

How about now? ! kernel took 4.x GB ... and pressure color is yellow ..
any advice? Please help.

Regards.

Attachments

• Activity_Monitor__All_Processes_.png
    Activity_Monitor__All_Processes_.png
    252.9 KB · Views: 408

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
even on my laptop , its like this ,what should I do ?!

There's a simple answer...
Quit Firefox, and see what happens to your Activity Monitor.
Maybe you could use another browser that's not quite so resource-hungry.
Even Chrome works better than Firefox these days.

You also have quite a few diskimages-helper in your list.
Could be worth resetting your Spotlight database.

Is your Little Snitch up-to-date?
Do you need to run µTorrent all the time?

uunknownn

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2014
There's a simple answer...
Quit Firefox, and see what happens to your Activity Monitor.
Maybe you could use another browser that's not quite so resource-hungry.
Even Chrome works better than Firefox these days.

You also have quite a few diskimages-helper in your list.
Could be worth resetting your Spotlight database.

Is your Little Snitch up-to-date?
Do you need to run µTorrent all the time?

I changed firefox to chrome, and have installed Flash block , it seems good, but also , i quit twitter, skype , uTorrent.

and Chrome Helper is using a lot of CPU and memory sometimes ,, and there is 2 Google Chrome Helper processes. what is the solution for this problem? upgrade RAM from 8 to 16?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I changed firefox to chrome, and have installed Flash block , it seems good, but also , i quit twitter, skype , uTorrent.

and Chrome Helper is using a lot of CPU and memory sometimes ,, and there is 2 Google Chrome Helper processes. what is the solution for this problem? upgrade RAM from 8 to 16?

8GB should be more than enough for what you have running there. Crome uses one of those processes for each tab open.

Try a couple things. Look in the CPU tab... is there anything there uses a high % of CPU?

Do a safe mode boot and see what you see in memory usage then. That bypasses and startup and login items and will tell you if that is the source of the problem.

You also might try creating a new temp account and login there and see if it still happens.

kevb8ll

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2014
And, did that make a difference for you? Is your MBPro working better for you?

Yeah definitely. Although to be honest, OS seemed to sort itself out after I posted in this thread and although I had to be patient with response, things worked fine.

It is nice to have some spare memory now though lol.

bols59

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
Pacifique du Nord
Out of the hundreds of times I've googled for help w/my Mac this has got to be the first time I've hit on something that no only makes sense, but is useful. Thank you so much.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I holy suggest the free software utility EtreCheck and RUN it. The program whill print out a text file full System Check and show you paths to incompatible files show you have a path to Manually delete those files or update them.

I realy say this will help in speedy up most Macs and help MOST users having runaway cycles. :apple:

MAgicman0806

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2016
Kernel task is your operating system.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the whole Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

You can find my screenshots attached!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 1.40.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 1.40.52 PM.png
    152.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 1.38.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 1.38.21 PM.png
    162 KB · Views: 185

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Before we can do much comment on your screenshots, can you tell us which Mac you have, and what version of OS X?
I see you have 4GB of RAM, and you have a relatively small amount of swapouts - and your screenshots show mostly normal activity with that small amount of RAM.
And, we need to find out if YOUR Mac has upgradeable memory. The model that you have will give us a better idea on how to suggest that you proceed from here - and if it is worth doing.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You're not maxing out the memory that you have, as your memory pressure gauge is all green. Adding RAM will not make any noticeable impact on performance, if the screenshots you posted are indicative of your normal workload.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.