Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMacBookPro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
FL
Jut found this about 30 min ago

judge for yourself.. the 4 is indeed a little faster according to the video but not by leaps and bounds.. Maybe a refurb 3 would be ideal to hold me over until the 5 comes out

Last edited by a moderator:

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Jut found this about 30 min ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMijuc5qX7M

judge for yourself.. the 4 is indeed a little faster according to the video but not by leaps and bounds.. Maybe a refurb 3 would be ideal to hold me over until the 5 comes out
If you skip to the end, you will see that he is having WiFi issues on his iPad 4. He got 4Mbps on his iPad 3 and 1.8Mbps on his iPad 4. Such Internet speeds will serve as a bottleneck in web pages and other network-enabled apps.

With my Asus RT-N66U router, the iPad 4 produces Speedtest results of 80-85Mbps with my FiOS Service (and 92Mbps when transferring files over the network). My iPad 3 maxes out at 35-40Mbps. My browsing experience, at least with my Internet connection and router, is very different from that shown in the video. Most sites load noticeably faster on the iPad 4. Other sites load the same (instantly) on both, but then the iPad 3 hangs for 0.5-2.0 seconds before I can do anything; there's no hang on the iPad 4.

As I stated before, I think Internet connection speed should be one factor (among many) in the decision of the iPad 4. If you only have 5Mbps Internet service, I suspect you will be constrained on most Internet sites by your Internet connection speed, rather than the processor on the iPad 3. Based on my router's performance monitoring graph, most web sites will load in the 40-50Mbps range if you have the ISP to support it.

magnificent me

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
London
The 4th generation is 1-3/4 seconds and smoother but I can see why apple stopped selling the 3 and kept the 2.

Like said a million times by a lot of people speed is probably not the only reason why people upgraded from the 3. Most people want a better front facing camera and the lightning connector.

I am sure in more intense apps the ipad 4 would be better off.

DigitalJunior

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
UK
I tried the iPad 4 yesterday at Trafford Centre and I already own a iPad 3.

Couldn't tell any difference whatsoever for a normal user.

It's only a very small % of users that compare the two will know which is which.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
The 4th generation is 1-3/4 seconds and smoother but I can see why apple stopped selling the 3 and kept the 2.

Like said a million times by a lot of people speed is probably not the only reason why people upgraded from the 3. Most people want a better front facing camera and the lightning connector.

I am sure in more intense apps the ipad 4 would be better off.

Find it hard to believe anyone would 'want' the lightning connector considering there are zero accessories compatible with it.

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
New York
Find it hard to believe anyone would 'want' the lightning connector considering there are zero accessories compatible with it.

Well, lightning is here to stay so you're going to have to go with it at some point. Besides, accessories that require the connector aren't as prevalent as they are on the iPhone. I can see this argument being more valid for iPhones.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I suspect this was why the 4 was a sidenote in the iPad mini announcement. I also suspect that the "speedmark shows the new processor is twice as fast" looked better on the keynote page than "it boots 2 seconds faster" and "web pages load up to a second quicker"!

The 4 will probably have longer legs than the 3 due to the processor and probably be able to run new apps for a longer period of time. But with app developers wanting to make their wares as many people as possible, I suspect it will be a while before none but the biggest power users can tell an appreciable difference between the two. And by that time, we may be debating on whether we should get a new 6 or a refurbished 5!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.