Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nadesico

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2006
I ordered mine yesterday, probably around 11 am and got it today about the same time.

About 24 hours from order to door.

I did opt for the free shipping, and it should have been here tuesday by the email estimate but I got it early today, I wonder if the fact that the hurricane would have been in full effect here on tuesday made them expedite the shipping some how.

By the way this is posted from my new plain jane mid mac mini, though the crucial ram hasn't gotten here yet. (that I got for $77 for 16 gig through one of those online coupon places for 5% off)

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
If you have an AmEx card which earns points, you should also check in on their ShopAmex store to see if you're eligible for added discounts. For example, I get an added 20% discount till the end of the year. You can redeem your AmEx points for Apple gift cards, so I can buy a $100 Apple gift card for $80 worth of AmEx points. That then creates an interesting question...I wonder if I can buy xx dollars worth of Apple gift cards using ShopAmex, and then click through the Discover shopping link, apply my gift cards, and then pay the rest with my Discover card.

Also, it seems like the ShopDiscover discounts can apply towards refurb items. Can anyone else confirm that?

nydennis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Just a FYi. I got notice of the 5% cashback from shopdiscover for the click through to apple.com. I also confirmed that I will be getting the 7% as part of the monthly promotion of 5% and the 2% for the friday for a total of 12% Worked out to be a nice deal for the Mini. I used my educational discount + the 12% off

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
Just a FYi. I got notice of the 5% cashback from shopdiscover for the click through to apple.com. I also confirmed that I will be getting the 7% as part of the monthly promotion of 5% and the 2% for the friday for a total of 12% Worked out to be a nice deal for the Mini. I used my educational discount + the 12% off

my statement came, but my cash back seems to be short. I called and they said it could be several statements before i see all of the rewards???? is that accurate?????
It's a shame there's no way to actually see where the points are coming from...

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA

How did you get the educational discount + shopdiscover?

I tried to do EPP discount + shopdiscover and it won't work because the link for EPP is separate. So I tried to use EPP, add mac mini to cart, then go to shopdiscover and open my cart + checkout but then the cart is empty. When I switch back to the EPP store the cart has the product in it so the reference isn't really going to Discover so I can only get the normal cashback, not the one from shopdiscover.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
If you have an AmEx card which earns points, you should also check in on their ShopAmex store to see if you're eligible for added discounts. For example, I get an added 20% discount till the end of the year. You can redeem your AmEx points for Apple gift cards, so I can buy a $100 Apple gift card for $80 worth of AmEx points. That then creates an interesting question...I wonder if I can buy xx dollars worth of Apple gift cards using ShopAmex, and then click through the Discover shopping link, apply my gift cards, and then pay the rest with my Discover card.

Also, it seems like the ShopDiscover discounts can apply towards refurb items. Can anyone else confirm that?

yes you can link direct to the apple store then click the refurb link

my statement came, but my cash back seems to be short. I called and they said it could be several statements before i see all of the rewards???? is that accurate?????

having purchased many times this occurs a lot.

I tried to do EPP discount + shopdiscover and it won't work because the link for EPP is separate. So I tried to use EPP, add mac mini to cart, then go to shopdiscover and open my cart + checkout but then the cart is empty. When I switch back to the EPP store the cart has the product in it so the reference isn't really going to Discover so I can only get the normal cashback, not the one from shopdiscover.

you are correct. years ago you could play around with the links . but they stopped that. maybe you can do it again. the discount is only 20 bucks on a base mini not worth it to me. as the 5% is 30 bucks vs 20. consider buying from http://www.jr.com no tax except new york. used code thankyou get a 25 dollar gift card on a base mini and get 5% via discover card.

nydennis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY

When I went to through the clickthrough on the shopdiscover site I then clicked on educational store at the bottom of the page. I got this message on Nov 1. I then contacted Discover to find out if this was from the click through and they confirmed it.

Your ShopDiscover purchase earned you additional Cashback Bonus

Thank you for shopping through ShopDiscover. The Cashback Bonus you've earned is currently pending. You'll see this reward reflected on your statement in 6-8 weeks.
Continue to earn Cashback Bonus by doing your online shopping at ShopDiscover.

Retailer's Name Date of Purchase Cashback Bonus Amount

Apple.com
10/26/2012
$43.45

----------

Yes I got the emailing confirming the Shopdiscover cash back, but nothing on the 7% so I contacted Discover. They said the same thing about the 2% friday promotion and the 5% quarterly promotion that it takes at least a month to show up.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
I don't typically use my Discovery card. Sorry for the noob question, but can someone summarize very briefly what the benefits are with using at the apple store. When do I have to use it, on a specific date (I saw some reference to Friday), etc? How do you get cashback and how can you withdraw the cashback funds or is applied to my next month's bill?

nydennis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
I don't typically use my Discovery card. Sorry for the noob question, but can someone summarize very briefly what the benefits are with using at the apple store. When do I have to use it, on a specific date (I saw some reference to Friday), etc? How do you get cashback and how can you withdraw the cashback funds or is applied to my next month's bill?

If you log into your discover card and look for shop discover they have a click through to Apple store. Apple gives 5% cash back if you go through the link. The quarter promotion for discover is 5% right now. They had a promotion (expired now) for 2% on Friday a few weeks ago. When the cash is ready you will see it in your discover account. You can apply it to your bill, you can have a check sent home. Amazon lets you use your points to buy stuff. I let me points sit for a year so I have a few hundred dollars and get myself something nice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.