Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lantech27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
I'm new to objective-c and IOS programming, but have a strong background in .Net and web applications.

I'm looking at the SDK and am wondering the best way to display large amounts of excel type data. Anywhere from 2 - 10 columns and a couple of hundred rows.

I have the data in an array in xcode, but the UITableViewController doesn't seem to do the trick.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

truehybridx

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2010
I'm new to objective-c and IOS programming, but have a strong background in .Net and web applications.

I'm looking at the SDK and am wondering the best way to display large amounts of excel type data. Anywhere from 2 - 10 columns and a couple of hundred rows.

I have the data in an array in xcode, but the UITableViewController doesn't seem to do the trick.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A raw idea (meaning i haven't put a lot of thought into it) would be to subclass UITableView and have its cells be UITableViews as well...

Then again there might be a graphing type framework someone has already created to do that
Maybe this? https://github.com/AlanQuatermain/AQGridView

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Without knowing more about the nature of the data to display, I would say the typical way to display something like this is a master-detail drill-down. Each row of the master (a UITableView) contains a differentiating summary of the row and, when tapped, pops down to a detail view containing all the fields pertaining to that item (i.e. row).

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Is this not exactly what UICollections were made for?

It's possible that I'm mistaken...

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Note: UICollectionView is only available in iOS 6.0 and later. If you're still trying to support iOS 5 or earlier, you can't use them.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Note: UICollectionView is only available in iOS 6.0 and later. If you're still trying to support iOS 5 or earlier, you can't use them.

According to the latest Chitika reports, iOS 6 had 61% adoption two weeks ago. Extrapolating from the data they used in this report, I estimate adoption is somewhere between 63% and 66% today.

And given your app will be released in the future, not today, adoption will be even higher still at that point.

And I don't have data to back this up, but I suspect that most people who download apps from the App Store also keep their devices up to date.

The Chitika report I got my data from:
http://insights.chitika.com/2012/ios-6-adoption-one-month/

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Just thought I'd throw the iOS6 restriction out there, in case the OP had some requirement for supporting older OSes. I know that my newest version of a.k.a. (currently in beta-testing) is only going to support iOS6+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.