Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:37 PM   #26
philipma1957
macrumors 603

no i am making no assumption at all.

read my post.

you are just insulting posters for the sake of ????
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:37 PM   #27
rkahl
macrumors 65816

Why argue about it? There is a chance the inside is defective too. Why risk it later rather than sooner?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:06 PM   #28
stu.h
macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 5 64GB has a similar mark, what should I do
stu.h is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:22 PM   #29
jpxdude
macrumors member

For the premium paid, I would replace it. If it was dell, Acer or any other brand that is half or less of the price, you can guarantee it is either plastic, or made of cheaper/lesser materials than Apples much lauded unibody designs.

I'm sure most here wouldn't accept an apple product that had dead pixels, or dusty screens, and whilst a little chip may appear a lesser reason to make a fuss, Apple can afford to offer no quibble replacements of even the smallest defects most of the time, because of the market and perception of their brand that they've nurtured.
jpxdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:43 PM   #30
Micky Do
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
Excuse me?
Ive spent just shy of 1k on a new unit which is supposed to be machined from a block of aluminium, from a company who strive to deliver goods of impeccable quality.
Ive received something which has clearly been dropped or knocked somewhere along the line before being packaged. I had second thoughts to begin with, but the more I think of it, the more I'm glad I'm having it replaced. I shouldn't have to keep any kind of defect with a new product - Apple appreciate this, which is why I have been offered a straight replacement without quibble.
If you, on the other hand, are fine with receiving a less then 100% quality item, so be it. To each their own.
Well, you did ask, so I gave an opinion. Obviously it is not in keeping with the fussy majority here, but I'm not bothered.
Micky Do is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:20 AM   #31
limesmoothie
macrumors 6502

If there were any chance that this machine had been dropped, I'd get a replacement, yes. Its your money. Apple's QC issues are for them to sort out, you shouldn't be subsidising it.

So, no -you're not being fussy at all. If you'd bought a brand new car and the front wing was dented, would you accept it?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:04 AM   #32
LachlanH
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
Excuse me?
Ive spent just shy of 1k on a new unit which is supposed to be machined from a block of aluminium, from a company who strive to deliver goods of impeccable quality.
Ive received something which has clearly been dropped or knocked somewhere along the line before being packaged. I had second thoughts to begin with, but the more I think of it, the more I'm glad I'm having it replaced. I shouldn't have to keep any kind of defect with a new product - Apple appreciate this, which is why I have been offered a straight replacement without quibble.
If you, on the other hand, are fine with receiving a less then 100% quality item, so be it. To each their own.
To be honest, given this post, I am not really sure why you bothered even asking what others thought, Seems like you would have returned it anyway.

Not saying returning it was wrong, if Apple are happy to do it then that is great. Can't say as I would have returned it myself but I tend to be an 'if it works it ain't broke' kind of guy.
LachlanH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:37 AM   #33
borostef
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappaknight View Post
You're assuming this was dropped after it was assembled when it doesn't even look dropped at all. Metal is not perfect and it could very well be chipped or flaked during the machining process - but that doesn't mean the computer was tossed around like a ball, dropped then shipped.

Just admit it, you guys are whiners. 80% of this forum now whines about every little thing and 90% of them are cosmetic related stuff. It's hard to even find quality threads on this forum any more.
Whiners? Well if you are happy with receiving a damaged product, and not a cheap one, then good luck to you...
Why would you not return it? I would do the same with any other product... If I pay for something I would, at least expect it to arrive undamaged....
borostef is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:10 AM   #34
sam.dg
macrumors newbie

You should return it, but you must pray that your next mini doesn't have more defects than this tiny winy dent!
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:25 AM   #35
DitteVilladsen
macrumors member

Sometimes I'm relieved at the first scratch or dent or stain or tear in something. It gets me over being really neurotic about not harming it and I can start to enjoy it.

This is similar to the theory that (low) cost is a feature. You can be carefree about taking your Kindle to the beach or anywhere, whereas you're nervous as hell about your iPad or iPhone. Same with battery life. With a Kindle you just don't even consider it to be an electronic device. It's like a book. With an iPad or iPhone you're constantly making mental calculations about what you're doing and how long until the next charge.
DitteVilladsen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:44 AM   #36
sean barry
macrumors member

Whiners? You want whiners? go to Fox News
You are being fussy, so what? Perhaps you may want to re-sell it in a few years and a prospective buyer might be fussy to.
sean barry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:51 AM   #37
kappaknight
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpxdude View Post
I'm sure most here wouldn't accept an apple product that had dead pixels, or dusty screens, and whilst a little chip may appear a lesser reason to make a fuss, Apple can afford to offer no quibble replacements of even the smallest defects most of the time, because of the market and perception of their brand that they've nurtured.
You're comparing dead pixels (a legitimate manufacturing defect) to a cosmetic bump?

I would return a new car if the frame was bent, not if there's a chip in the paint.
kappaknight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:40 AM   #38
albert1028
macrumors 6502

Quote:
You're comparing dead pixels (a legitimate manufacturing defect) to a cosmetic bump?

I would return a new car if the frame was bent, not if there's a chip in the paint.
I think it is purely subjective. I think, like some others have said, if you aren't comfortable or fully satisfied, just return it and get another one.

There are times I am okay with some cosmetic/minor defects from factory. But to each his own, I am a car enthusiast, and spending good money on several cars, I expect realistic flawless with the more expensive cars.

If a car enthusiast picks up a $100K car with a chip on it, it better be chip free, especially when one wants to collect these cars and install a clearbra on top.

I believe the original post is not being picky but just not fully satisifed. Go return it or order another and return it within the 14day policy and hopefully you get your new order before or just do a retail swap.
albert1028 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:16 AM   #39
lamerica80
macrumors 6502

I would return it, pherhaps not because I should, but because I can.
lamerica80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:08 PM   #40
Mojo1
macrumors 65816

Thumbs up +1

Quote:
So let me get this straight. You came to a forum of whiners and asked them if they would whine and get a replacement over something as small as that?
If there is a forum with more anal-retentive consumers than MacRumors I sure haven't found it!
Mojo1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:39 PM   #41
knarzie
macrumors regular

Quote:

I would. Doesn't matter if Kia or BMW either.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:50 AM   #42
brilliant
macrumors member

people whining about whiners whining. guess i'm in macrumors.
brilliant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:32 AM   #43
lamerica80
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliant View Post
people whining about whiners whining. guess i'm in macrumors.
Welcome to the community!
lamerica80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:27 AM   #44
jsamuelson
macrumors member

It's a tiny flaw but, premium price should equal a perfect product, without exception. And Apple seem happy to replace it.

Each to their own. Personally - it would bother me.
jsamuelson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:37 AM   #45

Sounds like you already made your mind up prior to posting?!

Stop wasting everyones time and attention seeking OP
725032 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini