Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
It's a very major feature though, and although it won't bring it any revenue on its own, is going to be something people expect to just work (especially when you have competition like google maps). Not to mention that there are going to be tons of other apps and services which will be relying on the accuracy of maps one way or another.

In short, Maps is the lynchpin. Maybe a VP is overkill, but I agree that it still deserves its own department looking into it. :)

I would bet that there is a dedicated department already looking at it. Just because eddie cue is assigned to it doesnt mean there arent managers below him whose job is solely maps
VP is a terribly heavy position to only be responsible over maps..a non revenue generating unit

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
I would bet that there is a dedicated department already looking at it. Just because eddie cue is assigned to it doesnt mean there arent managers below him whose job is solely maps
VP is a terribly heavy position to only be responsible over maps..a non revenue generating unit

If it is ever going to be as good as or better than Google maps then it should be revenue generating. Navteq was worth $8 billion to Nokia. The data Google has amassed and the accuracy of Google maps would make it worth much more I think. Honestly, I don't expect much from Apple maps unless they stop partnering with TomTom and start collecting their own data. For now, they are partnering with the worst of the 3 major mapping services and that's going to continue to show.

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
iOS 6 could have been called iOS 4+, or mini-kitty or whatever the hell Apple wanted to call it. There is no universal metric for denoting what should be in a full point upgrade. Software upgrade versions aren't for you as a consumer. They are for developers that need to know what the baseline is for the OS and its supported featureset. You as a consumer saying you don't feel it should have been 6.0 means absolutely nothing. It's a free OS and you didn't pay anything or the upgrade.

Yeah, and you forgot to inform us about the "more than 200 new features" that nobody really knows what they are or has a complete list of.

Last edited by a moderator:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Depends on how you meant it.

If iOS 6 weren't available? Far, far less as too many people clamored over the new maps - as useless as they are for many of us.

If iOS 6 was available? Far more as many people I know refuse to upgrade until major problems are fixed.

Of course, I have no clue what that has to do with my comment, but I would assume the sale numbers would be far, far lower if Apple publicly stated that future upgrades would not be available or, if they were, they'd have to be purchased.

Okay...I disagree...and this is what I meant and how it applies to your comment....

Of course it can never be proven, but I would venture to say that more than 90% of the people that bought an iPhone 5 would have still bought it even if the only difference was the hardware related stuff (larger screen, faster processor, etc.) with it still shipping with the last ios upgrade.

The "not free" software that you correctly mention is thought of as "free" by many since for most, it is not the core reason for purchasing the hardware...at least when a decent version is still available (which many seem to claim is the case with ios 5)

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
If it is ever going to be as good as or better than Google maps then it should be revenue generating. Navteq was worth $8 billion to Nokia. The data Google has amassed and the accuracy of Google maps would make it worth much more I think. Honestly, I don't expect much from Apple maps unless they stop partnering with TomTom and start collecting their own data. For now, they are partnering with the worst of the 3 major mapping services and that's going to continue to show.

Google gets its money from ads. Google maps is another platform to deliver those ads - hence the huge amount of effort going into it. It's a profit bearing investment for them. Apple will not be an advertising company in the near future. Hence, the smart thing to do is to get all the data from partnerships. Tom tom was likely chosen because they made the best bid for the Apple Maps project - Apple won't spend as much as Google did into Maps, because it won't make sense for them...
Google sees Google maps as a product
Apple sees Maps as a feature of a product

It probably will not ever better Google maps. but it will get 'good enough'

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Maps have been overblown.

Thank god the general consumer has no idea of the amount of buffoonery that the Tech Press unleashes upon it's gullible readers every day.

iOS 6 has some nice stuff and many new features won't be turned on until more of the userbase moves to 6.x

I've got so many apps on my iPhone I would have upgraded just to reduce the need to input my Apple ID password for every single update.

The Privacy features are nice. I like to know what apps i've given access to my Photos, Contacts, Location and more.

What are you talking about? You didn’t have to put in your password for every update. You simply click “Update All” and enter your password once.
You obviously don’t use the maps. I regret updating my iPads and iPhones to 6.
I also want to trade my iPhone 5 for a Galaxy S3.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
That's his point...you DID have to enter your password prior to iOS 6.

Yes, before iOS 6, you would have to enter the password once after selecting 'Update All' as he said you did- and you even quoted.

Not having to type it once isn't a big deal, but the hassle grows quickly when there's an app that you either don't want to or can't update and are forced to update them one at a time.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I don't even have that many apps and not having to enter my password multiple times a day is a huge advantage.

And the fact that you would have to do it on all devices as well....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.