Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cntwtfrmynwmbp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
I always download apps directly to my iphone. I use itunes to backup my settings and data to my mac.

As I could re-download any app from the app store, what advantage do I have when I transfer/sync apps from the iphone to my mac?

Thanks for your help.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
I always download apps directly to my iphone. I use itunes to backup my settings and data to my mac.

As I could re-download any app from the app store, what advantage do I have when I transfer/sync apps from the iphone to my mac?

Thanks for your help.

Only real advantage I see is if the application maker is no longer on the App store, that app may no longer be available to download. I have had it happen to me.

cntwtfrmynwmbp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks for your reply guys. Both are valid points.

The trade-off for me is if these advantages are enough for the disk space the apps use on my mac (as I only have a 128GB ssd).

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
If you delete them from your PC/Mac in iTunes, does it automatically remove them from your phone?

I'm wondering the same thing, because I have an SSD in my PC also.

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
If you delete them from your PC/Mac in iTunes, does it automatically remove them from your phone?

If you have the setting in iTunes to "Sync Apps", then it will first ask you if you want to copy the apps from the device to the computer, and if not, proceed to sync to the state of the computer, which would be to delete all the apps off the device.

Make sure you turn off app syncing before you delete them off your computer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.