Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanielYilmaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Ive been waiting since March for this to come out :mad: And now its just overpriced and annoying ! I know its better to build a custom pc but I hate windows! I feel like I need to future proof this machine as the £1,699 one wont last 2 years in my opinion please prove me wrong and make me want to buy the £1,699 one but I really feel that I should upgrade and then the iMac will cost £2,000 :(

Any one got any opinions on what I should do or to make me feel better about buying this iMac !!!

Also will the upgrade damage the screen ? Adding a gtx 680mx might over heat and cause discoloration making my money spending alot harder

Last edited:

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
1) No technology can be future-proofed. Don't even bother trying to make that happen.

2) Nothing will make you feel better about blowing tons of money on a luxury item. You get a great product in return, but there is always something more worthwhile to spend it on (charity, etc).

DanielYilmaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
1) No technology can be future-proofed. Don't even bother trying to make that happen.

2) Nothing will make you feel better about blowing tons of money on a luxury item. You get a great product in return, but there is always something more worthwhile to spend it on (charity, etc).

Thanks man :) That made me feel better !

visim91

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Ive been waiting since March for this to come out :mad: And now its just overpriced and annoying ! I know its better to build a custom pc but I hate windows! I feel like I need to future proof this machine as the £1,699 one wont last 2 years in my opinion please prove me wrong and make me want to buy the £1,699 one but I really feel that I should upgrade and then the iMac will cost £2,000 :(

Any one got any opinions on what I should do or to make me feel better about buying this iMac !!!

Guess what? I use my iMac at least 7 hours a day. 7 hours a day for 7 days a week, for 52 weeks a year, for at least 4 years. That's a lot of time.

The $2K price-tag spread over that much time comes out to about a dollar a day.

My iMac is as dear to me as an appendage, and it ought to be great. And great costs money. But, as you can see, its money well spent.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Guess what? I use my iMac at least 7 hours a day. 7 hours a day for 7 days a week, for 52 weeks a year, for at least 4 years. That's a lot of time.

My iMac is as dear to me as an appendage, and it ought to be great. And great costs money. But, as you can see, its money well spent.

A great way to look at it. I've said this countless times. The price I paid for my PowerBook G4 in 2005 was very high in my eyes; however, I just hoped it would get me through my 2 years of grad school and it did ... then it continued to serve me for another 2 until I gave it away. My MacPro is from early 2008 and again, in 2012 it hums just wonderfully (now I probably jinxed it). The price for the MP over 4 years (4 1/2 years actually) ends up being an even greater value.

I don't feel the need to upgrade every time a new model is released. I think even with a ton of disposable income I would do the same as I've been there before and I didn't. /shrug

If the OP can get past the price tag and figure maybe 2k over 3 years then the price tag shouldn't make anyone sick unless you're buying well out of your means in the first place.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
BTO pricing from Apple have always been overpriced. This is nothing new.

Standard configurations for their many of their machines however are competitively priced if you ask me.

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012

1. Very true
2. Very true

Shortly after any product or update comes out it is already out of "style"

After the purchase of a $75,000 a few yeas back, it is just about worthless today.

DanielYilmaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
A great way to look at it. I've said this countless times. The price I paid for my PowerBook G4 in 2005 was very high in my eyes; however, I just hoped it would get me through my 2 years of grad school and it did ... then it continued to serve me for another 2 until I gave it away. My MacPro is from early 2008 and again, in 2012 it hums just wonderfully (now I probably jinxed it). The price for the MP over 4 years (4 1/2 years actually) ends up being an even greater value.

I don't feel the need to upgrade every time a new model is released. I think even with a ton of disposable income I would do the same as I've been there before and I didn't. /shrug

If the OP can get past the price tag and figure maybe 2k over 3 years then the price tag shouldn't make anyone sick unless you're buying well out of your means in the first place.

Very true im a graphic designer you see and also a video editor for a few companies but this is my personal machine for kinda everything the only way I can justify this is the resale value and hoping that the machine wont die on me !

----------

I dont mind that one off £2k cost its just the fact that I can get a iphone 5 later on in the month if I never spent it on the iMac :( Also apple not releasing any dates as of when its released

----------

BTO pricing from Apple have always been overpriced. This is nothing new.

Standard configurations for their many of their machines however are competitively priced if you ask me.

True no one realises that the 27" screen is there to ! :O

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA

Also will the upgrade damage the screen ? Adding a gtx 680mx might over heat and cause discoloration making my money spending alot harder

I have built many PCs over the years and BY FAR the best value has been my Apple products!

By the time i needed to upgrade a component in the PC, it would require some other piece to be upgraded as well. New MB if I wanted more RAM or new Videocard, etc. It's a myth that building your own PC saves you money.

Get an iMac and when it gets too slow for you sell it and buy a new one. I guarantee you will come out ahead of building your own PC!

DanielYilmaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I have built many PCs over the years and BY FAR the best value has been my Apple products!

By the time i needed to upgrade a component in the PC, it would require some other piece to be upgraded as well. New MB if I wanted more RAM or new Videocard, etc. It's a myth that building your own PC saves you money.

Get an iMac and when it gets too slow for you sell it and buy a new one. I guarantee you will come out ahead of building your own PC!

Oh I know I would never dare buy a pc ive been pc free for over 5 years ! Ive just had baseline macs really This is the first time im going to spend over £1,000 for one :p

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
That's the price one pays for great technological and design engineering. That, and a pretty damn awesome 27" display if you ask me :)

The amount of hardware/software integration and the formula needed to truly bring out a butter smooth user experience over time will make it worth the money. I've built many PCs before and recognize the value in doing things hands on, but I also see value in what Apple has to offer (at a premium).

Value is in the eye of the beholder and everybody's definition of what constitutes value varies greatly. So far looks like the market is willing to bear the cost of ownership, and Apple has done a great job thus far positioning itself in the market place, creating a lot of value and goodwill (for itself).

Spread the cost of purchase over the course of a 3-5yr term amortization and you'll see exactly how much ownership costs you.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Very true im a graphic designer you see and also a video editor for a few companies but this is my personal machine for kinda everything the only way I can justify this is the resale value and hoping that the machine wont die on me !

You buy Apple Care and since it seems you may be in the UK, you have additional warranties that people in the U.S. don't quite have.
I think this may be a good resource for you.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8253915.stm

But really, if you're a graphic designer and video editor then you shouldn't need this much convincing. ;)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
And now its just overpriced and annoying ! I know its better to build a custom pc but I hate windows! I feel like I need to future proof this machine as the £1,699 one wont last 2 years in my opinion please prove me wrong and make me want to buy the £1,699 one but I really feel that I should upgrade and then the iMac will cost £2,000 :(

1. Since when have Macs been affordably priced? My first Mac in 1988 was $2500. You can do the inflation calculator do figure out what that is in 2012 dollars. It's a lot of money. Macs like Mercedes cars, Bang & Olufsen stereos, and Ferragamo shoes, have always been, and probably always will be luxury brands. Nothing new here. Why are you so shocked at the iMac's price?

2. Future proofing is a concept for fools. Buy a 5 year old Mac and upgrade it every way possible. It probably will still be beat by a 2012 Mac mini.

3. Macs may be expensive but they do hold their value. Just because you buy a new computer in 2012 doesn't mean you can't sell it in 2013 at a good price and take the proceeds to buy the latest and greatest. I do this regularly. It's a lot less expensive and more effective than marrying a top of the line CTO for 5 years.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
1. Since when have Macs been affordably priced? My first Mac in 1988 was $2500. You can do the inflation calculator do figure out what that is in 2012 dollars. It's a lot of money. Macs like Mercedes cars, Bang & Olufsen stereos, and Ferragamo shoes, have always been, and probably always will be luxury brands. Nothing new here. Why are you so shocked at the iMac's price?

2. Future proofing is a concept for fools. Buy a 5 year old Mac and upgrade it every way possible. It probably will still be beat by a 2012 Mac mini.

3. Macs may be expensive but they do hold their value. Just because you buy a new computer in 2012 doesn't mean you can't sell it in 2013 at a good price and take the proceeds to buy the latest and greatest. I do this regularly. It's a lot less expensive and more effective than marrying a top of the line CTO for 5 years.

Well said. I don't need to add a long post now :D

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
I completely get where you're coming from. You could buy a thunderbolt display, and a custom built PC for gaming, and an MBA - and get it for only slightly less than a i7, 768gb SSD 27'' iMac.
This is especially annoying since thunderbolt iMacs refuse to work as an external monitor for windows PCs as well as other macs in bootcamp (typical Apple) - unlike the thunderbolt display.
I assume this also goes for the 2012 iMac model.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009

get extended applecare and if you have screen issues... take it back ! no need to stress about it. also you could try the apple finance deal they currently have , payment spread over 10months for 0% interest, means you can go for the top model if you cant afford it up front.

DanielYilmaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012

Theyve always been overpriced but come on to update the machine ? Its so annoying £1000+ for a ssd which is only 750gb ? or a i7 for £160 its really upped it. Im just really annoyed because i know future proofing will never works but saying i have a £1,700 computer with a i5 makes me sound so stupid :p

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Theyve always been overpriced but come on to update the machine ? Its so annoying £1000+ for a ssd which is only 750gb ? or a i7 for £160 its really upped it. Im just really annoyed because i know future proofing will never works but saying i have a £1,700 computer with a i5 makes me sound so stupid :p

But its not just a computer you are buying. There's a monitor there too. But again, nothing about Apple is inexpensive. The CTO options, yes, crazy nuts. But a $300 navigation system on a 2011 BMW was a $2000 option too.

There are two TB ports, four USB 3 ports. You have other less expensive ways to go if you can stand not being internal. Personally everything is ext. on my 21". If my ext. boot drive fails me no big, and it's faster than the 21" iMac's internal laptop drive too.

DanielYilmaz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
But its not just a computer you are buying. There's a monitor there too. But again, nothing about Apple is inexpensive. The CTO options, yes, crazy nuts. But a $300 navigation system on a 2011 BMW was a $2000 option too.

There are two TB ports, four USB 3 ports. You have other less expensive ways to go if you can stand not being internal. Personally everything is ext. on my 21". If my ext. boot drive fails me no big, and it's faster than the 21" iMac's internal laptop drive too.

Its ok I just spend £2000 and i got 6% off :D because of student discount so it saved me £100. so i bought apple care for 3 years !!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.