Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hedleylammarr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Oxford, England
I need some guidance please, My son has deleted some pictures on my iMac. The files are simply not in finder, and have been deleted from the trash.

However the pictures are still visible in iPhoto Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 22.24.54.png

If i click any option in the share drop down in iPhoto or on the actual picture i get this message _ The photo “IMG_0359.JPG” could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found.

I've downloaded a trial for data recovery called wondershare data recovery. That's currently scanning and so far finding some of the pics i've lost.

This costs £69.99 USD. I'm English to would rather be buying something with sterling BUT if I can actually see the files on iPhoto does this mean I can some way get around this.

I'm furious with him and money is tight with my wife's redundancy so any help much appreciated

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
If you can see them in iPhoto then they may very well still be in the iPhoto database--iPhoto stores pictures in its own library and have to be deleted specifically from that library. If they are in the iPhoto Library, you can copy them to the picture folder in finder.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Normally when deleting photos from iPhoto, the thumbnails no longer show either. Depending how well your son knows his way around a Mac, it's most unlikely that he has gone into the iPhoto Library file and deleted them from there.

Have you looked in the iPhoto Library file to see if they are still there?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I need some guidance please, My son has deleted some pictures on my iMac. The files are simply not in finder, and have been deleted from the trash.

However the pictures are still visible in iPhoto View attachment 391291

If i click any option in the share drop down in iPhoto or on the actual picture i get this message _ The photo “IMG_0359.JPG” could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found.

I've downloaded a trial for data recovery called wondershare data recovery. That's currently scanning and so far finding some of the pics i've lost.

This costs £69.99 USD. I'm English to would rather be buying something with sterling BUT if I can actually see the files on iPhoto does this mean I can some way get around this.

I'm furious with him and money is tight with my wife's redundancy so any help much appreciated

I would suspect that one of two things happened:

1) You son went into the A3 "package"... and deleted the originals
2) You were using "referenced" originals in iPhoto... rather than letting iPhoto manage them for you.

In any case... what iPhoto has are "previews" or "thumbnails". I forget with iPhoto uses. I use Aperture which uses both.

If in fact they are gone... your options are:

1) Restore from backup... which I assume you do not have since you are asking here.
2) Dig into the iPhoto package and get the previews out. They are likely lower resolution than your originals... and when you go mucking around in your iPhoto package... you have the potential do damage your iPhoto library.

If you go to option 2... I would suggest that you make a full copy of your iPhoto library and only play around in there. Find the previews of your missing pictures, copy them into a directory... and then re-import them into iPhoto.

Whatever you do... or irrespective if you can possibly get these photos back... take this a a strong example of why you need a strong backup system. I recommend at least dual backup... both fully automatic without any human involvement once enabled... using dual independent backup programs... and with one backup destination local to your your house... and the second offsite. I use Time Machine (to Time Capsules) and Crashplan. I also have a third backup for just my personal media (photos, and camcorder videos)... via Carbon Copy Cloner.

/Jim

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
You may have tried this already, highlight a thumbnail photo, then File > Reveal in Finder

If it directs you to the location in Finder then all is not lost.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
You were using "referenced" originals in iPhoto
This is when you import from something like a USB stick/thumbdrive or an external hard drive. If you don't have the "Copy Items to iPhoto Library" option ticked in iPhoto Preferences>Advanced, then you will get that "can't be found" message if that external drive is not connected to your Mac.

hedleylammarr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Oxford, England
Been away with work so pleased to see some great responses

bobr1952 - my iPhoto contents states 288.7MB which i’m sure is the thumbnails (which I have located). If I copy those the images are rather poor

Dave Braine - I didn’t realise my son knew his way around the operating system so well. I’ve checked and double checked the iPhoto library and no sign of them whatsoever

flynz4 - you’ve got it sir!

1) He deleted it from the A3 package and deleted the originals, although he has assured me he ONLY deleted the pics from ‘pictures’ in finder (is that the same thing?)

I was using reference originals in iPhoto as I don’t know how to let iPhoto manage my pictures (i’ll read up on this) and yes all i’m seeing is the thumbnails

I have no back up so yes that’s why I’m posting. The previews are much lower quality as you said. I like the sound of crashplan. Am i right in thinking the only way to use time machine is with either an external hard drive or a partition?

Big Stevie - Yup tried that (see first screenshot on this reply)

Dave Braine - Sorry but i’m lost on that one, can you elaborate please, thanks

paulsandy - I’ve already used mac data recovery’s free trial and that has found all the originals but it’s expensive. I will look into the one you have kindly suggested but i’m guessing the free trial only includes the scan and not the recovery?

The first screenshot is the thumbnails zoomed in full

The second is your suggestion Big Stevie and the ‘find’ option isn’t available

So I think i’ve found a way around this. If I take a screenshot of the photo (screenshot 2 -Command-Control-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it to the clipboard) and move the ‘find file’ prompt I can get a perfect picture .... My question is can I edit it down in clipboard?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 17.54.03.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 17.54.03.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 150
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 17.54.19.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 17.54.19.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 153

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Dave Braine - Sorry but i’m lost on that one, can you elaborate please, thanks
Do you mean elaborate on this?
This is when you import from something like a USB stick/thumbdrive or an external hard drive. If you don't have the "Copy Items to iPhoto Library" option ticked in iPhoto Preferences>Advanced, then you will get that "can't be found" message if that external drive is not connected to your Mac.

When you plug a camera into your Mac and iPhoto opens showing photos that are on your camera, and you then import them, iPhoto will automatically add them to the iPhoto Library.

This means that you can then disconnect the camera from your computer and still be able to double click on the thumbnails and view/edit/copy/export etc, your pictures.

When you import pictures from an external drive or similar device, unless the "Copy Items to iPhoto Library"option is ticked, all you get in iPhoto are the thumbnails. This is what is called "referenced" photos.

If you want to view/edit/copy/export etc, your pictures at a later date, you have to have that eternal drive connected to your Mac, AND, the photos must still be on that drive, otherwise all you get is the message(The photo “IMG_0359.JPG” could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found.) or a large question mark.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I was using reference originals in iPhoto as I don’t know how to let iPhoto manage my pictures (i’ll read up on this) and yes all i’m seeing is the thumbnails

In iPhoto>preferences>advanced... enable "copy items to the iPhoto library". See below

/Jim

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 11.50.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 11.50.22 AM.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 100
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.