Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Im a first time iPhone user so this is all new to me. Im wondering if jailbreaking an iPhone would mess up and spoil the original OS or hardware(if possible). I heard from a friend who has jailbroken his iPhone 3GS that his phone slows down and lags after a few months of jailbreaking, it becomes almost unusable. Can people who have jailbroken their iPhones before and left it for the long run tell me how it handles? Does everything work like there isn't a jailbreak? I only plan to improve the physical appearances with apps such as NCColours that changes the background colour of your notification centre. I also installed SBSettings and Accelerate for practicality reasons. I dun plan to control robots or anything. I'm sorry that this is such a long post. I've had terrible experiences with Androids that slow down and lag in the long run.

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
Its really going to depend on what tweaks/apps you install. Just have to be careful thats all. I have always JB my devices in the past. Never had issues with lag or battery.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
It's almost impossible to physically brick an iPhone these days. Granted, you can really do it if you are stupid and start messing around with firmware, etc, but it's really not likely - and I don't think there's anything installable via Cydia which is capable of bricking it.

If anything goes wrong, you can always DFU it back to factory settings.

Lag and battery depend on what you do. Kind of like your computer - the more you have running, the slower it will become and the more power it will use. The iPhone 5, however, is the first phone I've had jailbroken where you don't notice the speed difference after jailbreaking.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Yeah, I dun feel it too. First time I jail breaking but I'm just kinda afraid that I like spoil the software or something. Is this possible? I dun plan to tweak the firmware or anything major, just want to add like stuff that I missed from Android like a quick access bar to wifi and stuff. This won't cause any harm rite?

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
Yeah, I dun feel it too. First time I jail breaking but I'm just kinda afraid that I like spoil the software or something. Is this possible? I dun plan to tweak the firmware or anything major, just want to add like stuff that I missed from Android like a quick access bar to wifi and stuff. This won't cause any harm rite?

You can't "spoil the software". If/when you've had enough of the jailbreak, just do a restore in iTunes to remove it, and use your backups. The restore wipes iOS from your phone, and reinstalls it fresh.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Im a first time iPhone user so this is all new to me. Im wondering if jailbreaking an iPhone would mess up and spoil the original OS or hardware(if possible). I heard from a friend who has jailbroken his iPhone 3GS that his phone slows down and lags after a few months of jailbreaking, it becomes almost unusable.
You don't need experience for an answer. Software is software and can be reloaded. There's no "spoiling". Hardware damage is unlikely. JB itself doesn't do anything. It's the tweaks and the person's usage that cause slowdowns and such.

I've had terrible experiences with Androids that slow down and lag in the long run.
It's really the same thing with Android devices.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
If my phone does slow down, can I restore it to make the lag would go away?

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
The thread is full of misinformation and half answers.

A jailbreak allows for your iPhone to run unauthorized 3rd party apps.

When you are jailbroken, you have full root access to all system files... even the OS files.

So yes. If you took a program like iFile and and deleted important system files, you could "corrupt" the OS and make it non-bootable or unstable. You could also come across malware if you install software from bad repositories.

But the bootloader is always protected and encrypted... so you can ALWAYS restore in iTunes and the OS will be reinstalled.

Your jailbreak experience should be mostly pleasant if you stick with the default Cydia repositories and not add any shady ones offering pirated software.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
My son is using my old jailbroke 3GS (on 4.2.1 I think) and it's still going strong.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Alright thanks guys. Thanks for taking time to reply to these obvious questions. I'm now feeling confident with my jailbreak. Thanks again! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.