Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickdonn1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
My current computer is a late 2008 15" MBP, but it's often strained when I try to get it to do much beyond web browsing. I'm a computer engineering student, so I need a pretty powerful machine, and my current computer isn't really cutting it. I was telling myself that I was going to upgrade to a 15" rMBP as soon as they announced new ones, but now that they've come, I'm not so sure. Do people think I should wait for Haswell, or do you think that the current Ivy Bridge models will be similar in performance to the high end Haswell chips?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I recommend you buy what you need, when you need it. It's a pointless effort to chase the "next update", since you don't know for certain what it will include or when it will be, and there will always be a "next update" coming, no matter when you buy. There is typically not a significant difference in real-world performance for most users from one model release to the next.
My current computer is a late 2008 15" MBP, but it's often strained when I try to get it to do much beyond web browsing.
How much RAM do you have?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
4 GB... but that's the most this model supports.
Not true. If it's an Early 2008 non-unibody, it supports up to 6GB. If it's a Late 2008 unibody, it supports up to 8GB. You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

nickdonn1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Interesting... Maybe I'll consider that. Though to be honest, I think I probably should just upgrade now after what you said. I've loved [read: abused] this thing so much that I'm not sure it could last reliably until July. And in my mind, the fact that they're doing this incremental update suggests to me that it'll probably be closer to September by the time we see an upgrade. Thanks for the help though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.