Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 28, 2013, 03:02 PM   #201
bmac4
macrumors 68000
 
bmac4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta Ga
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
You are taking my post out of context. I was simply listing the tradeoffs of a bigger screens. I was not trying to create reasons why the iPhone shouldn't have a bigger screen. Because I don't care if the screen size changes or stays the same.



Exactly! Half an inch even! Which is why all these arguments that Apple needs to increase screen size or else are so ridiculous to me.



Do you really think that they would reduce the pixel density of a new, bigger iPhone? That seems unreasonable to me.
You don't get my post because I am telling you there are no tradeoffs. You act like this would be some huge deal for Apple to make a bigger screen. It's not. And no Apple would not make the pixel density smaller. That is not what I was saying at all. I am saying they would add more pixels with the bigger screen. Apple want make a bigger iphone with tradeoffs it just want happen.
bmac4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 03:48 PM   #202
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac4 View Post
You don't get my post because I am telling you there are no tradeoffs.
Claiming there are no tradeoffs is simply wrong.

Quote:
You act like this would be some huge deal for Apple to make a bigger screen.
That's the part that you made up. I didn't say or imply that is was some "huge deal". I just said that there are tradeoffs.

Quote:
And no Apple would not make the pixel density smaller. That is not what I was saying at all. I am saying they would add more pixels with the bigger screen.
What you actually said was "they would do the same thing that they did with the ipad mini, and developers change nothing." The iPad mini has the same number of pixels as the iPad 2. If they add more pixels to a bigger iPhone, developers will have to change something. If they don't add more pixels, it would be a lower pixel density.

Quote:
Apple want make a bigger iphone with tradeoffs it just want happen.
I don't know what that was supposed to mean.
BaldiMac is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 03:54 PM   #203
jvmxtra
macrumors 65816
 
jvmxtra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Let's see.. shrinking laptop/desktop market.. and people are moving more over to tablet/smart phone than ever before? And it's only going to continue?
And out of those people, some people might want some hybrid solution? Why is this simple concept(of apple needing to go multiple screen size) so hard to understand?

You will watch apple eat up all their words on insisting one screen fits in next 2 years.
__________________
--still apple fan but it's getting difficult...
jvmxtra is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 03:57 PM   #204
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmxtra View Post
You will watch apple eat up all their words on insisting one screen fits in next 2 years.
Apple currently sells two screen sizes for iPhones and two for iPads.
BaldiMac is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:01 PM   #205
bmac4
macrumors 68000
 
bmac4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta Ga
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
Claiming there are no tradeoffs is simply wrong.



That's the part that you made up. I didn't say or imply that is was some "huge deal". I just said that there are tradeoffs.



What you actually said was "they would do the same thing that they did with the ipad mini, and developers change nothing." The iPad mini has the same number of pixels as the iPad 2. If they add more pixels to a bigger iPhone, developers will have to change something. If they don't add more pixels, it would be a lower pixel density.



I don't know what that was supposed to mean.
Really there are tradeoffs because what you listed as tradeoffs were not tradeoffs at all. You posted all these tradeoffs like they have to make all these sacrifices if they made the bigger iphone.

Yes with the ipad mini they did not change pixel density, but if developers would have no issue making apps that fit the new screen size. You know that new OS iOS 7 that is coming this fall? Yea developers are having to build apps just for that. Does not seems to be a big deal does it?

You saying there are tradeoffs implies that they would be giving up something to make a bigger screen iphone. Tell what would have to be giving up on the iPhone to make a 1/2 inch to inch bigger phone?
bmac4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:08 PM   #206
SR45
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida
Give it a break

It strikes me, on this long thread of late, that its usually one or two guys arguing back, and forth, getting no where fast. Don't you have anything better to do to continue this back and forth ?

Apple will do what Apple does. End of discussion
SR45 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:11 PM   #207
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac4 View Post
Really there are tradeoffs because what you listed as tradeoffs were not tradeoffs at all. You posted all these tradeoffs like they have to make all these sacrifices if they made the bigger iphone.
You seem to be making up your own definition of tradeoff. They absolutely do need to make concessions in the areas that I mentioned in order to make a bigger phone. It's a simple fact.

Just because you keep dismissing the tradeoffs as not a big deal, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Quote:
Yes with the ipad mini they did not change pixel density,
Yes, they did.

Quote:
but if developers would have no issue making apps that fit the new screen size. You know that new OS iOS 7 that is coming this fall? Yea developers are having to build apps just for that. Does not seems to be a big deal does it?
Big deal? I never said it was. That's the part that you keep making up.

It's all relative. Some developers will consider it a big deal. Some won't. But it will require work by all developers in order for their apps to support the new size.

Quote:
You saying there are tradeoffs implies that they would be giving up something to make a bigger screen iphone. Tell what would have to be giving up on the iPhone to make a 1/2 inch to inch bigger phone?
All the things I listed already. (None of which do I think are deal breakers.)
BaldiMac is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:24 PM   #208
bmac4
macrumors 68000
 
bmac4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta Ga
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
You seem to be making up your own definition of tradeoff. They absolutely do need to make concessions in the areas that I mentioned in order to make a bigger phone. It's a simple fact.

Just because you keep dismissing the tradeoffs as not a big deal, doesn't mean they don't exist.



Yes, they did.



Big deal? I never said it was. That's the part that you keep making up.

It's all relative. Some developers will consider it a big deal. Some won't. But it will require work by all developers in order for their apps to support the new size.



All the things I listed already. (None of which do I think are deal breakers.)
So this what in the crap is your definition of tradeoff? What does that mean? The last time I checked it means that if you want one thing you are going to have to trade something for it. This is the Webster dictionary definition of tradeoff "1. the exchange of one thing for another of more or less equal value, especially to effect a compromise." To me it sounds like a compromise. None of those things you listed would you be compromising anything. Maybe you have a new definition of tradeoff?
bmac4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:38 PM   #209
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac4 View Post
So this what in the crap is your definition of tradeoff? What does that mean? The last time I checked it means that if you want one thing you are going to have to trade something for it. This is the Webster dictionary definition of tradeoff "1. the exchange of one thing for another of more or less equal value, especially to effect a compromise." To me it sounds like a compromise. None of those things you listed would you be compromising anything. Maybe you have a new definition of tradeoff?
How are they not tradeoffs?

-A bigger screen would likely result in a bigger and heavier phone, all other things being equal.
-A bigger screen would likely have more pixels requiring more processing power and more battery power.
-A bigger screen would make it harder to use one handed.
-A bigger screen would require developers to redesign their apps.
-A bigger screen would require developers to support an additional screen size.
-Multiple screen sizes on new iPhones would split engineering focus (if in addition to smaller phone).

None of these statements is controversial. They are all common sense. I don't think that any of them will prevent Apple from making a larger iPhone if they want to. That doesn't mean these tradeoffs don't exist.
BaldiMac is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:01 PM   #210
bmac4
macrumors 68000
 
bmac4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta Ga
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
How are they not tradeoffs?

-A bigger screen would likely result in a bigger and heavier phone, all other things being equal.
-A bigger screen would likely have more pixels requiring more processing power and more battery power.
-A bigger screen would make it harder to use one handed.
-A bigger screen would require developers to redesign their apps.
-A bigger screen would require developers to support an additional screen size.
-Multiple screen sizes on new iPhones would split engineering focus (if in addition to smaller phone).

None of these statements is controversial. They are all common sense. I don't think that any of them will prevent Apple from making a larger iPhone if they want to. That doesn't mean these tradeoffs don't exist.
So wait one minute you are saying tradeoffs don't mean compromises, and now they are. Which is it?

Lets do this again

- big and heavier. Again how is this a tradeoff from what we have now? Some may say heavier is not better, but I don't care. What are you compromising? A bigger phone in size that just means more screen to look at and use. Heavier how is that a compromise? Is lighter always better than heavier?

- power and batter life. How is a bigger processor a tradeoff? I would not mind a bigger processor. Not that we need one, but it does not seem there would be a compromise. The phone would be bigger so they could fit a bigger battery in it. Again what are we losing to gain that screen?

- one handed use. That all depends on the size of your hand. It is a compromise that I have to take to use the current iphone. Me and many others choose to take that compromise to have the iPhone. So it all depends on the person whether it would be a compromise or not.

- redesign apps. Is this a compromise or tradeoff? Again what are we losing/giving up? iOS 7 requires redesigns is that a bad thing? What will we lose by this as consumers? I think the apps will just look different right?

- different screen sizes. Once again what are we giving up? There will still be a "normal" size iphone, but a bigger one too. I don't know how this is costing anyone anything.

- split engineers focus. Again look at the ipad mini and ipad. Has the mini hurt the ipad? No it has not. We have lost nothing. It will only be a screen size difference not OS. How does that change the way the engineer it?

Please this time pay attention to what I write because all you did was repeat what you said before. It holds no weight I just proved that again.
bmac4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:02 PM   #211
chrisaster
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
How are they not tradeoffs?

-A bigger screen would likely result in a bigger and heavier phone, all other things being equal.
-A bigger screen would likely have more pixels requiring more processing power and more battery power.
-A bigger screen would make it harder to use one handed.
-A bigger screen would require developers to redesign their apps.
-A bigger screen would require developers to support an additional screen size.
-Multiple screen sizes on new iPhones would split engineering focus (if in addition to smaller phone).

None of these statements is controversial. They are all common sense. I don't think that any of them will prevent Apple from making a larger iPhone if they want to. That doesn't mean these tradeoffs don't exist.
A bigger screen has a bigger battery ...

Ios7 has features to resize to screen size ... No devs won't have to develop to a new screen size.

Bigger screen is not heavier in real world usuage either
chrisaster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:59 PM   #212
Tree2u
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Because that is the "trend" and I think it is safe to say what "some" people want.... Two screen sizes would make people happy!!
__________________
Mini 2012 (Base model) | Wireless keyboard | Trackpad
iPad 4 16GB Black
iPhone 5 64GB Black/Slate | iPhone 5 32GB White
ATV 2 | AirPort Extreme
Tree2u is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 06:14 PM   #213
Italianblend
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Igloo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR45 View Post
It strikes me, on this long thread of late, that its usually one or two guys arguing back, and forth, getting no where fast. Don't you have anything better to do to continue this back and forth ?

Apple will do what Apple does. End of discussion
Aww, if we can't debate on screen size, this would be a boring place! If all we said is that apple will do what they do and we shouldn't have our own wants, this would be a boring place!

I would like to bicker against you to extend this thread!
__________________
@Pontifex
Our life has been saved by the blood of Christ. Let us always be renewed by this love.
Italianblend is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 07:11 PM   #214
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac4 View Post
Please this time pay attention to what I write because all you did was repeat what you said before. It holds no weight I just proved that again.
That's a fantastic demonstration of logic. First you acknowledge that the tradeoff/compromise exists. Second, you say some/most people won't care. Third, you conclude that there is no tradeoff/compromise. Truly dizzying.

Are you one of those people that believe the only reason Apple doesn't release a bigger iPhone is stubbornness?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree2u View Post
Because that is the "trend" and I think it is safe to say what "some" people want.... Two screen sizes would make people happy!!
We already have two screen sizes. People aren't happy.
BaldiMac is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 07:11 PM   #215
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
I'm someone and I don't say it; therefore, not everyone is saying it.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 07:18 PM   #216
bmac4
macrumors 68000
 
bmac4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta Ga
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
That's a fantastic demonstration of logic. First you acknowledge that the tradeoff/compromise exists. Second, you say some/most people won't care. Third, you conclude that there is no tradeoff/compromise. Truly dizzying.

Are you one of those people that believe the only reason Apple doesn't release a bigger iPhone is stubbornness?

----------



We already have two screen sizes. People aren't happy.
You are the one who I can't follow. One minute you say that tradeoff and compromise are different then went back and say they mean somewhat of the same thing.

I did not ever once acknowledge anything remotely close to a compromise. Now you are putting words in my mouth. What I did say was that the size of the iPhone now is a compromise for me not Apple. If they made a bigger phone then it would be a compromise for others wanted a one handed phone. Again not for Apple because it would take nothing away from what they offer now. A compromise for me or you has nothing to do with Apple. So sorry you missed that one.

Also nice of you to avoid everyone of your points you tried to make and I proved a none issue or compromise.
bmac4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Since can't one-hand bigger iPhone, get bigger or biggest? Luba iPhone 31 Apr 2, 2014 11:09 AM
If the iPhone gets a bigger screen would you want the icons to get bigger? The Doctor11 iPhone 4 Feb 4, 2014 12:54 AM
How to make font bigger in emails jsf721 iMac 1 Jan 13, 2014 10:17 AM
Make Macintosh HD bigger? jrsx PowerPC Macs 1 Dec 20, 2013 04:04 AM
can you make the banner font bigger? Che Castro OS X Mavericks (10.9) 0 Jun 11, 2013 12:48 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC