Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 26, 2013, 03:04 PM   #101
brentsg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsennet View Post
Yes, so it's not a big issue just inconvenient.

It's odd because the movie is on iTunes but now only to rent. Yet I have Transformers still available to download from the cloud but completely removed from the store.
Definitely send Apple an inquiry and post what they say..
brentsg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 11:47 PM   #102
Phantom Gremlin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjwilly View Post
Non-physical media is never owned -- only rented, borrowed, licensed,...... use whichever verb you like.
Really?

Just now I went to iTunes Store. The very first item under "Music" is an album by Drake, titled "Nothing Was The Same". I clicked on this album and was presented a screen that says:

$13.99 Buy

It says "Buy", it doesn't say "rent", or "borrow" or "license". It doesn't say "Buy a license".

Why does Apple get to pervert the usage of a "verb" that has a very simple meaning to most people?

Quote:
Take it to the extreme -- Apple folds and closes its doors tomorrow.
All the iCloud servers are shut down.
What happens to your online purchases then?
Here we agree. You still have the responsibility to store your "purchases". And never buy anything DRMed. E.g. check out "Microsoft PlaysForSure" to see how the evil empire tried to screw people over with their "purchased" music.
Attached Images

Phantom Gremlin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:45 AM   #103
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
Really?

Just now I went to iTunes Store. The very first item under "Music" is an album by Drake, titled "Nothing Was The Same". I clicked on this album and was presented a screen that says:

$13.99 Buy

It says "Buy", it doesn't say "rent", or "borrow" or "license". It doesn't say "Buy a license".

Why does Apple get to pervert the usage of a "verb" that has a very simple meaning to most people?

Here we agree. You still have the responsibility to store your "purchases". And never buy anything DRMed. E.g. check out "Microsoft PlaysForSure" to see how the evil empire tried to screw people over with their "purchased" music.
It doesn't say "Own" either. You never own music regardless of medium. Either CD or Download, you don't own it in any legal sense of the word.

You are complaining about Apple's wording but not the 20 years industry standard? I think that there is a bigger picture that you should be complaining about.
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:41 PM   #104
Larsennet
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
Definitely send Apple an inquiry and post what they say..
It ended up coming back on it's own also it's now available to buy again.

These can still come and go.
Larsennet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 02:22 PM   #105
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidoneus View Post
This is a serious flaw with the movie studios and their licensing terms not with iTunes. You are misrepresenting the problem to imply that Apple is somehow at fault, or that they owe you something. They don't.
Bullcrap. It IS Apple's fault. They should not sell something the have NO RIGHT to sell and they should make this plain when they put the word "Buy" in front of a movie that it means "temporarily lease" instead.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater