Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Sep 9, 2013, 07:05 AM   #501
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra Mac View Post
You can put your sewage plant next to the upgraded water station and use filter pumps for unlimited water. Or up the water in the other two cities. When selling to other cities, the units are divided by total cities in the region. For example, if I have a city selling 100 units of something to the region, and theres 4 other cities, only 25 units will be available to each. This is good and bad.
The other two cities are already pegged on water pumping and barely sending 84? whatever (going from memory right now).

I'll try putting the sewage plant next to the water plant and see how it goes.

I also saw a YouTube video that says planting trees in ground polluted areas helps, so I've been doing that too.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 09:36 AM   #502
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra Mac View Post
You can put your sewage plant next to the upgraded water station and use filter pumps for unlimited water. Or up the water in the other two cities. When selling to other cities, the units are divided by total cities in the region. For example, if I have a city selling 100 units of something to the region, and theres 4 other cities, only 25 units will be available to each. This is good and bad.
Plus one on this. Its the only way to get a steady long term water supply.

I don't think you even need to use filtered water pumps, I've never had any pollution with the normal ones.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:52 AM   #503
Jamie-30
macrumors member

for those of you running mavericks, and having to play simcity in -w (window mode)

There has been an update for origin and your now able to play the game full screen!
Jamie-30 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 06:47 PM   #504
CyrusKafaiWu
macrumors member

I recently upgraded from a 2011 Macbook Air so I am wondering what I should put as my settings for a 2013 13" 1.3ghz core i5 Macbook Air.
CyrusKafaiWu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 03:28 PM   #505
sparkyms
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrusKafaiWu View Post
I recently upgraded from a 2011 Macbook Air so I am wondering what I should put as my settings for a 2013 13" 1.3ghz core i5 Macbook Air.
Default/Low.
sparkyms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 02:24 PM   #506
tee-tz
macrumors member

Totally forgot about this game being released.

So now that some Mac OS people have started playing - how is it ? Keep in mind I didn't have to endure the endless waiting, so my expectations are fairly 'normal'.

Would love to hear some more feedback on performance, graphics and game features. Hope those that waited so long to purchase it are at least enjoying now.

Thanks.
tee-tz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2013, 02:26 PM   #507
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tz View Post
Totally forgot about this game being released.

So now that some Mac OS people have started playing - how is it ? Keep in mind I didn't have to endure the endless waiting, so my expectations are fairly 'normal'.

Would love to hear some more feedback on performance, graphics and game features. Hope those that waited so long to purchase it are at least enjoying now.

Thanks.
I play on medium settings and it works fine for me. It has its design flaws and gameplay issues, by design, like smaller areas and no subways among other things. but for what it does have its still fun to play - for me.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 08:10 AM   #508
tee-tz
macrumors member

@ SandboxGeneral - Thanks...

Well I'm sold. Hoping it performs well... My specs: iMac, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB...
Old Jan 4, 2014, 02:05 PM   #509
Badrottie
macrumors 68030

I finally bought SimCity 5 this week and I hope it will be fun for me. I haven't finished SimCity 2000 on Atari computer. It was hard to learn as a mayor!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 05:55 PM   #510
blacka4
macrumors 6502

How does it run on your system? I bought the program too and it runs like trash on my computer. So I am in need of a new system for this game.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 09:42 AM   #511
maflynn

Looks like EA is going to put in an offline mode as reported by Engadget

It seems like a desperate move born out by low sales volumes, or at least unmet sales goals. I myself have decided not to buy the game for a variety of reasons, one of which is the always on requirement. Their excuse that it needs the cloud to function is BS and it was reported shortly have the Windows release that a hacked version worked just as well w/o an internet connection.

I'm also disappointed by the fact they offer no demo or trial version and I'm not willing spend that much money on something that may not work too well. Too many reports of stability issues, even though much those have been ironed out I think
Old Jan 13, 2014, 02:34 PM   #512
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I'm also disappointed by the fact they offer no demo or trial version and I'm not willing spend that much money on something that may not work too well. Too many reports of stability issues, even though much those have been ironed out I think
If you buy it on origin, you can get a refund if you contact them within 24 hours of your first launch of the game and it hasn't been more than seven days since you bought it.

It's good offline mode is coming, if only for the reason that it may make it easier for modders to fix the game. Not holding my breath though.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2014, 05:28 AM   #513
Sylon
macrumors 68000

Just picked this game up thanks to a nice sale on Amazon and a discount code on top of that. Now it would be nice if the damn game would run. It keep getting stuck downloading the initial updates. It's crashed about a dozen times now.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 07:40 AM   #514
ELMI0001
macrumors 6502

Anyone try the new offline mode?

Sim City Offline Mode

I'm interested to know what everyone thinks.

I've been waiting to buy a new Mac for 2 reasons
1.) Updated Mac Mini - to decide if I go that route or MacBook Pro/iMac
2.) Sim City 5 offline mode.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:51 AM   #515
garnerx
macrumors regular

I haven't tried it yet - I'm waiting for somebody to mod it to increase the city size.

That was the biggest problem with it, for me. Online / offline makes no difference to me, but I quickly ran out of space in every city I made. Once you've added the garbage dumps, power stations, water pumps, storage depots, and all of the other stuff needed to make the city function, there's very little space left.

Offloading various utilities to another city never seemed to work properly, and it was annoying to have to switch between them to find out why you've run out of power or the garbage isn't being collected.

I played it for over 50 hours before giving up, so it's definitely a good game, but I'd only come back to it if I could have a single massive city.
garnerx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:04 AM   #516
ELMI0001
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnerx View Post
I haven't tried it yet - I'm waiting for somebody to mod it to increase the city size.

That was the biggest problem with it, for me. Online / offline makes no difference to me, but I quickly ran out of space in every city I made. Once you've added the garbage dumps, power stations, water pumps, storage depots, and all of the other stuff needed to make the city function, there's very little space left.

Offloading various utilities to another city never seemed to work properly, and it was annoying to have to switch between them to find out why you've run out of power or the garbage isn't being collected.

I played it for over 50 hours before giving up, so it's definitely a good game, but I'd only come back to it if I could have a single massive city.
I can see that. I played SC a lot growing up and just recently jumped back into SC4 while waiting for this version to get mature enough to play. Sometimes I felt like the cities were too large in SC4. I guess I'll know for sure once I dive into SC5.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:07 AM   #517
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMI0001 View Post
Anyone try the new offline mode?

Sim City Offline Mode

I'm interested to know what everyone thinks.

I've been waiting to buy a new Mac for 2 reasons
1.) Updated Mac Mini - to decide if I go that route or MacBook Pro/iMac
2.) Sim City 5 offline mode.
Is this update for the OSX version as well as windows?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:12 PM   #518
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Is this update for the OSX version as well as windows?
Yes.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:57 PM   #519
ELMI0001
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
Yes.
Had a chance to play with it yet? Do you like it?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 06:36 PM   #520
garnerx
macrumors regular

I just updated it and had a quick go. Seems it's exactly the same but you get the option to manually save your city or save a new copy of it, which would be useful if you wanted to invoke a disaster and smash the place up for fun, or revert to a previous version.

It's still divided into tiny squares of buildable land within larger regions, though. That's the only thing wrong with it. You have to decide on one industry or business for your city, as there's no room for anything else. And if you want the raw materials to make that industry grow, you have to set up other cities. One region, half a dozen bite-size micro-cities, all managed by one player.
garnerx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games