Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrndll

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Hi people,

I am looking for an application that takes care of version control / backups in a similar way than Dropbox does, but which I can set up to work with an external HD or raid directly plugged to my computer. Basically, I want it to keep track of all changes every time I modify and save a file.

Do you guys know of anything like that?

Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
TimeMachine doesn't work for you? It does nearly everything you mentioned there, other then using a specific folder like dropbox, it backs up your drive.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Time Machine doesn't do versioning like Dropbox unless your version changes correspond exactly to TM's backup schedule, which is unlikely. The same should be true for Crashplan, it would seem.

One of the software features of a Synology NAS device is "Cloud Station", which, according to their documentation, will do what you're looking for.

Synology devices have a lot of other useful capabilities that you can invesitigate for yourself.

apple-ette

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2009
GoodSync for Mac can also save versions

When creating a backup job you can set the following:
Save deleted/replaced files, multiple version

From their help:
If checked, then GoodSync saves a file just before it rewrites or deletes this file. The file is saved to _gsdata_\_history_ folder on the side of the job where the replacement/deletion is about to occur.
Timestamp is added to file name before its extension, so that multiple versions of the file can be saved. Directory structure is preserved.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Time Machine doesn't do versioning like Dropbox unless your version changes correspond exactly to TM's backup schedule, which is unlikely. The same should be true for Crashplan, it would seem.
I see your point, I mistook the OP's request for versioning to TM's hourly backup. To that end, TM isn't a good fit.

mkrndll

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Thanks guys. I've been revising your options, specially Synology's home office products and GoodSync, but I haven't found their websites very clear (or maybe I'm just slow today).

From Synology's website:
The Synology DS112j offers a centralized backup target to all your PC/Mac® computers in the house. PC Users can back up their data to the Synology DS112j using the free Synology Data Replicator software, while Mac OS X® users enjoy native Apple® Time Machine® integration. A web-based backup wizard is provided for backing up data in the Synology DS112j to another Synology DiskStation or to an external hard drive via USB connection.
Does that mean it will use TimeMachine for Backup instead of their own versioning system on a Mac?

I've also been looking around more on my own and I have found this: http://git-annex.branchable.com/assistant/ which seems to me like a good option if it does indeed work. Has anyone around here tested it?

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Crashplan. The free version allows you to backup to local drives.

http://www.crashplan.com/consumer/crashplan.html

I purchased the 4 year family plan from them about 3 months ago. It's been great. Every machine in my house gets automatically backed up and I don't have to worry about it. Yes the initial backups took time, but now that everything is uploaded it just a matter of updating deltas. Works wonders.

apple-ette

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2009
OK, looks like I misunderstood the OP also. Goodsync just backs up (or syncs) based on a schedule or manually. So that won't help if you're looking to do versioning each time you save. Something would have to be watching folders for that, or you'd need to use some version control software (I use versions which is an SVN client.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks guys. I've been revising your options, specially Synology's home office products and GoodSync, but I haven't found their websites very clear (or maybe I'm just slow today).

From Synology's website:

Does that mean it will use TimeMachine for Backup instead of their own versioning system on a Mac?

I've also been looking around more on my own and I have found this: http://git-annex.branchable.com/assistant/ which seems to me like a good option if it does indeed work. Has anyone around here tested it?

That's a different Synology feature.

Synology Cloud Station

If you want RAID and local Dropbox type syncing and versioning, that's probably it.

tekuonline

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
Rochester, New York
http://global.download.synology.com...ePaper/Synology_Cloud_Station_White_Paper.pdf

From Synology's website:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.