Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
I bought my iPhone 5 with my Discover card a few months ago and dropped it last week chipping the corner. Anyone used their buyer protection to cover something like this or know how it works? Their site says it covers theft and damage for 90 days up to 500.00.

My phone still works fine just has cosmetic damage.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I don't have experience with Discover, but how it works with American Express is you file a claim with them and if approved, pay the $229 for out of warranty replacement with your Amex card and Amex would reimburse you the $229 or up to the price you paid for it (i.e. you bought the 16GB for $199).

It may say up to $500 but that needs to be the purchased amount.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
I don't have experience with Discover, but how it works with American Express is you file a claim with them and if approved, pay the $229 for out of warranty replacement with your Amex card and Amex would reimburse you the $229 or up to the price you paid for it (i.e. you bought the 16GB for $199).

Makes sense. Do you know if the phone has to be unusable or would they typically do it for a damaged phone?

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Makes sense. Do you know if the phone has to be unusable or would they typically do it for a damaged phone?

Shouldent be a problem. Call 1800DISCOVER and a rep will take care of you. They have really good customer care up there with AMEX if you never used them before.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

Sort of off topic... but has the replacment cost of the current gen iPhone gone up to $229? If so, OUCH!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Just for the iPhone 5. OOW replacement cost for the 4S remains at $199 so it's not that much of a price increase.

Well, yeah, it kind of is. Historically speaking the 4S should now be $150. But I guess they upped their prices. May seem like only $30, but that is a 15% price hike (percentages dig the knife in a little deeper haha). Guess it makes the Apple Care Plus more worth it. Wondering if that may not have been their goal all along...

Wonder if we will start to see the on (or even off) contract prices rise with this next release.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Well, yeah, it kind of is. Historically speaking the 4S should now be $150. But I guess they upped their prices. May seem like only $30, but that is a 15% price hike (percentages dig the knife in a little deeper haha). Guess it makes the Apple Care Plus more worth it. Wondering if that may not have been their goal all along...

Yeah, you can see it that way. Personally, I don't think AC+ is worth it because many cards including Amex double the standard one year warranty and we at least have 90 days of protection against theft/accidental damage. Unfortunately, too many people don't know better and buy their iPhones using a debit card with no such protection. It's moot for those of us who like to upgrade yearly anyway.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Yeah, you can see it that way. Personally, I don't think AC+ is worth it because many cards including Amex double the standard one year warranty and we at least have 90 days of protection against theft/accidental damage. Unfortunately, too many people don't know better and buy their iPhones using a debit card with no such protection. It's moot for those of us who like to upgrade yearly anyway.

I just don't like to deal with the hassle of getting my money back lol. Not to mention keeping records? Forget about it. Here's $100 Apple. You do it for me. :p

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I just don't like to deal with the hassle of getting my money back lol. Not to mention keeping records? Forget about it. Here's $100 Apple. You do it for me. :p

The last two times I filed claims Amex didn't even ask for receipts or any paperwork. I found a credit on the next month billing statement for the broken fish tank and they didn't even inform me the claim was approved.

Mastercard/Visa used to require loads of paperwork (probably to discourage the process) but I don't know if that's the case anymore. Use Amex whenever possible when purchasing your iPhone or other big items.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
The last two times I filed claims Amex didn't even ask for receipts or any paperwork. I found a credit on the next month billing statement for the broken fish tank and they didn't even inform me the claim was approved.

Mastercard/Visa used to require loads of paperwork (probably to discourage the process) but I don't know if that's the case anymore. Use Amex whenever possible when purchasing your iPhone or other big items.

I called Discover and they asked for detail about when it was purchased and what the damage was etc... They said i'll get a claim form sent out which i have to fill out and send back then they'll make a decision on if it's approved or not. I'm assuming they'll pay the 229 fee like you said after it's approved.

google

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
I called Discover and they asked for detail about when it was purchased and what the damage was etc... They said i'll get a claim form sent out which i have to fill out and send back then they'll make a decision on if it's approved or not. I'm assuming they'll pay the 229 fee like you said after it's approved.

I have used their warranty recently on a laptop and they paid me the entire cost of the laptop. I believe they will give you $229 the cost to replace the phone as it is repairable.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

That's a pretty sweet deal. I buy everything on AMEX because it is our rewards card. They also offer this. I wonder if I had to replace the phone under Apple care if they'd pay the $50 replacement fee too? Funny thing is I keep buying these warranties but never actually use them... ever. I replace my devices too damn often!

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle

Sheesh that's cool of AMEX, Discover wanted pictures, a copy of my statement showing the purchase amt/date, a signed claim form. The damage really isn't that bad but its definitely noticeable so hopefully they'll approve it. I'll let you know what happens.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I wonder if I had to replace the phone under Apple care if they'd pay the $50 replacement fee too? Funny thing is I keep buying these warranties but never actually use them... ever. I replace my devices too damn often!

They won't pay the $50 replacement fee because the extended warranty kicks in after the standard one-year warranty or 2-year AC+ expires so until then you shell out the $50 yourself. One less reason to buy AC+.

Sheesh that's cool of AMEX, Discover wanted pictures, a copy of my statement showing the purchase amt/date, a signed claim form. The damage really isn't that bad but its definitely noticeable so hopefully they'll approve it. I'll let you know what happens.

I'm sure they're way more likely to ask for paperwork for big-ticket items than smaller items. I keep a dedicated file where I keep all receipts for this purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.