Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
With all the conflicting information I've seen posted in this thread, along with what I'd call very cursory reviews elsewhere of the Mac mini with Fusion Drive, I'd say that *nobody* really understands the full ramifications of using one of these. Let's wait a while longer for some realistic observation and testing.

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
You really think Apple needs an "excuse" to do what they want? Please.....

Then why do they justify anything then? Spare me.

----------

I'm not saying it wouldn't have been nice for them to keep a Firewire port. But Firewire is on it's way out and Apple has never been one to hang on to old technologies when they have a shiny new one out. They did the same thing with Firewire 400 when Firewire 800 came out (or even back when they phased out SCSI over USB, which was a major step backwards for pros) and now they're doing it with Thunderbolt. Whether the new cable is better or not is irrelevant, it's just Apple's way. At least there are still adapters, even if they are overpriced.

Agreed, but it would make more sense if those technologies were no longer valid. Problem here is they are, esp for audio. If Apple included FW ports on all its machines then FW wouldn't be on the way out. For example, when Apogee made the Duet 2 the whole reason they went from FW 400 to USB is because all indications from Apple to them was they were phasing out FW. If Apple had retained FW I'm sure Apogee would have made the Duet 2 w/ FW 800. So its a bit of the circular 'chicken & the egg' scenerio but the driving force behind FW going out is indeed Apple's decision not to support it any longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.