Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edgecliff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2013
The Netherlands
When I opened Finder today, there seemed to be an unknown device on my network, as listed under the shared tab. The PC's called 'cookie', and I can't connect to it. Also when I click 'More info' it just keeps fetching...
I've got a WPA2 password protected wireless network. My router shows only two connected devices though (this MBP and my iPhone).

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Last edited:

Edgecliff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2013
The Netherlands
think it is your Router.

It's definitely not my router, it just showed up today. 'cookie' would be a pretty strange name for a router as well then.

IP Scanner doesn't show any other devices besides my router, MBP and iPhone.

How can a unknown device be under my shared-tab, without being in my network?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
It's definitely not my router, it just showed up today. 'cookie' would be a pretty strange name for a router as well then.

IP Scanner doesn't show any other devices besides my router, MBP and iPhone.

Yeah, true.
What about changing the password for now, change the password and see if it is still there, you have to change them on the connected known devices as well of course.
If you do it this way it should be gone, if not there is something else going on.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Does it disappear if you turn off "Bonjour computers" to display in Sidebar in Finder prefs?
Do you have any wireless printers?
You can also reveal all devices on the network with the Network Utility in Utilities folder. Use the "NetStat" tab and "Display routing table info".

Edgecliff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2013
The Netherlands
change the password and see if it is still there

I was just about to do that, when the device suddenly vanished.
Doesn't change the fact that it's strange a device can be under the shared-tab without being connected to the network somehow.

The password is practically uncrackable, I doubt anyone has found out.

Do you have any wireless printers?

No, I further do not have any wireless devices in here.
NetStat doesn't show any unusual things as well.

Anyway, I guess the problem is solved for now. If anyone knows what this device could've been, let me know!

screenshot20130408at148.png

Edgecliff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2013
The Netherlands
Suddenly the unknown device reappeared again.

Does it disappear if you turn off "Bonjour computers" to display in Sidebar in Finder prefs?

Yes, it does. Apparently it's a Bonjour computer. I assume this device is harmless, but is there any way to block it out of my network?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
That means it's likely to be a peripheral device, rather than an actual "computer". Something is broadcasting a Bonjour signal, giving you the option of connecting with it, if possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.