Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bear4asian

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
After disconnecting the USB, you need to go back into System Preferences > Print & Scan > "+" to add a new printer, and it should be able to find and install the printer pretty easily from there.

OSX treats the "Brother HL2270DW over USB" and the "Brother HL2270DW over WiFi" as two different printers essentially.

This was the one step that I couldn't figure out. Thanks!

mike murphy

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
Best way to set up an HL2270 DW regardless of platform

I do not generally use Mac products, however, I have installed well over 50 of these particular printers(great printer by the way!). The best way to go about this is.....

Reset the printer to factory defaults.

Turn off the Brother HL2270DW Printer
Make sure that the front cover is closed and the power cord is plugged in.
Hold down Go as you turn on the power switch. Keep Go pressed down until all the LEDs light up, and then the Ready LED turns off.
Release Go. Make sure that all the LEDs turn off.
Press Go six times. Make sure that all the LEDs light up to indicate the print server has been reset to its factory default settings. The machine will restart.

Next connect the printer to your router via an ethernet cable. This will prompt the printer to acquire an address on your local network.

Wait about 30-60 seconds, and hit the go button 3 times. You should get 3 pages printed out(make sure there is paper in the paper tray!)

The third page has the IP address printed on it. Open a web browser on a computer you have connected to the network, and enter the web address into the URL box on the browser, and it shoudl open a printer configuration page.

On this page you have a great deal of control, but basically you will want to navigate to the configuration page, and enter the admin username and password for the printer. admin : access

You can only have wireless or wired connection at any one time, so you can go to the wireless setup, and enter the appropriate connection protocols for your network( WPA, WEP etc and any passkeys you use).
Network configuration -> wireless(tab)
if you have WPA you will need to select infrastructure mode. Enter the appropriate passkeys if you have wireless security in your router.
When you click submit, your printer will seek out a new IP address and attempt to connect to the router wirelessly, also make sure you disconnect the ethernet cable at this time. If successful, it will print out a single sheet of paper telling you so.

All done!

Cheers!

to connect the printer up via its ethernet cable to your router(assuming you have extra ports for a hard line on your wireless) Once you do this wait about 1 minute.

FlightMedicPDX

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
I'm feeling Stupid

I've read all the threads related to this but I guess I'm still too new with my mac to get it. Sorry if this is redundant.

I just bought a brother HL-2270DW and I've set it up to work our wireless network and confirmed it worked by printing from my iPad. My issue is I can't print from my MacBook through the wireless but if I plug it in with the USB cable it works great. What am I doing wrong? Or haven't done right?

Stupid Flight Medic in Portland

----------

Don't ask me how I did it but now I have my MacBook talking to my printer. It's working. I love this website. You all are amazing for us newbies to Mac's. Thanks for being here and helping.

Still the Stupid Flight Medic in Portland

solypad2

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
California
Wireless Brother to MacBook Pro

Hello everyone,
Had my Brother HL-2270DW printer for almost 2 years. tried so many times to connect to my wifi trough toshiba laptop, worked once and never after.
lost my toshiba and now i have a new ipad2 and MacBook Pro i7, 17" that i love.

since last night i was trying to get the wifi printing work and i did everything was in manual, brother website etc, till today i found this forum.

i dont remember who gave this solution but it worked for me.

when you setup the printer via USB or Ethernet Cable you will see only one Brother added to your Mac... solution was to "+" and find the second copy of brother under "bonjour".. when you added that and choose as default printer everything goes well and is sunny and life is great again....

thanks everyone
solypad2:)

solypad2

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
California
Wifi print between Brother and iPad2

ok, now that i got my MacBook Pro work with my Brother HL-2270DW via my wifi, i was wondering how i found it on my iPad2...

Brother has an app"iPrint&Scan" for iphone/ipad that i downloaded and it works great with my iPad, but where do i see my other printers on my iPad? How do i add printer toiPad2?

here is the Brother app for iPhone/iPad...
http://www.brother-usa.com/downloads/printing-app.aspx#.UP2q_uh5GNE

thanks and good luck to everyone..

solypad2:)

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I wish Brother would update the printer firmware to support AirPrint. That would nice of them to do.

engbjm

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2012
after disconnecting the usb, you need to go back into system preferences > print & scan > "+" to add a new printer, and it should be able to find and install the printer pretty easily from there.

Osx treats the "brother hl2270dw over usb" and the "brother hl2270dw over wifi" as two different printers essentially.
thank you!!! That did it!!!! :):)

Messhuggenah

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2013
Recapitulation

To connect a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro to a Brother HL2270DW printer wirelessly, here are the crucial steps (as earlier posters have found).
1) Forget the CD. Go to the Brother support page; welcome.solutions.brother.com and drill down until you reach the downloads page for the HL-2270 DW printer. Choose OSX (10.8) or whatever newer version they may eventually post. Scroll down to the "Wireless Setup Wizard for Macintosh". Download, unpack, and run it.
2) As directed connect your Mac to the printer with a USB cable. Continue through the Setup Wizard until it says to disconnect the cable.
3) Now go to your Mac's System Preferences/Print&Scan and open it. You should see a "Brother HL-2270DW series" printer installed and selected--BUT this is for the USB connection only! The Mac OS is treating the USB and WiFi versions as separate printers but giving them the same name in this window.
4) Go to the bottom of the printer window and click "+" to Add a Printer or Scanner. Under "Nearby Printers" you should see another "Brother HL-2270DW series" printer. This is the wireless one! Click on it to set it up.
5) Finally, still on the Print&Scan page, select each printer and under "Options & Supplies" rename this one, at least, Brother Wifi.

I have a MacBook Pro w/Retina Display running 10.8.4 and everything is now set up and printing wirelessly. Thanks everyone for working this out and hope this summary helps.

TETBURYTOM

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
I also have spent many an hour trying to configure my Brother DCP-J925DW printer to my network. When I ran the diagnostics it said it was on the network so it was very frustrating not to connect to it wirelessly and I've been using the USB connector to print. Thanks for spending time looking at this thread and providing an answer. I found the printer after I pressed + in print and scan.

Best
T

moonlitorchids

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
Help

Just bought the Brother HL 2270DW

I clicked on the "+" under print & scan, it then asks to "download & install" and when I clicked on that it gave me this error message:

Can't install the software for the Brother HL-2270DW series because it is not currently available from the Software Update server.

But it can detect it just not working for some reason :confused:

Thanks,
Mish

UPDATE: Sorry I restarted my computer and tried the whole process again and now it worked WOOPY!!!

Last edited:

amongoose

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2013
moar necro solution

hey guys

tldr; this solution fixed the wireless setup issue for 2270dw on 10.8

http://host220.brother.com:8080/sap.../display.htm?SOLUTION=200000032816#Step_III_3

postamble: just got this little beauty. $120 in Australia (WE PAY MORE IN AUS BECUZ WE LIEK TO!!!1)

had a bloody devil of a time setting it up. the CD didn't work in the mac, i CBF firing up the windows computer to see if the install assistant worked there, so i followed a lot of advice in this thread to download the drivers and wireless setup assistant from brother's site. the wireless assistant hangs and leaving it with the blue bar filling up the progress bar thingy over and over for 10 minutes obviously didn't work either.

once i followed the above link and did the 20 or so steps (lol), all of my 10.8 macs can print wirelessly. I don't know if there is a way to make this AirPrint, if only it could, it would easily be the best value monochrome laser printer on the market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.