Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
M

Mr.damien

This is so funny to see how Samsung just boost all its competitors by ****ing Apple.

Now TMSC has brand new factories and a new one under the way and Sharp that should be dead is backed up by all Apple and Qualcomm. They were all lagging behind and almost dead, and now they are full of money.

GJ Samsung. You should have wait a little more before stealing the 3GS and 4 design to get it right.

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Apple has to at some point, just push more money from their bank accounts into helping get new tech to the market. It's cool, we get it, they can tout a retina samsung or lg screen, and due to their marketing machine and the hipster fans, appropriate it as some kind of their technological advance.

But now that samsung has showed them the finder, and rightly so after apple's litigation machine went after them, all we have are 3 year old lg panels in the new imacs, and lg panels with rampant image retention problems on the retina macbook pro (actually there's probably not a single lg panel without image retention), to which of course apple has replied that it's "natural" for lcd displays... as if somehow all of a sudden lcds became plasma screens or crt's...but in apple's world they did apparently as a less than perfect way to avoid another -gate, the retention-gate...

With the money they got they can bail out 10 sharps, not one, they should have already done so then, I don't see why they haven't. It's all good and well to squeeze out your suppliers because you make hip products and most of the people who actually design and manufacture and bring new technologies to market are in such a tight spot right now financially.

I intensely dislike how they wait for others to come up with the tech, and spend gazillions of dollars into developing it and possible go under in the process, and if they find a tech that suits them later on, shamelessly present it as some kind of their own achievement. There are quite a few of very interesting, quite revolutionary display technologies floundering due to lack of money e-ink (not doing that badly actually but struggling along), mirasol, pixel qi...you know how much money apple has invested in any of them, ZERO.
So next time they bring out a new ipad or iphone with a great screen, and they start touting their innovation, some would be right to tell them, wait a second, you didn't do **** to develop what you are now repackaging and selling...

Meanwhile it's now a well known fact that apple's legal department has a bigger budget than their r and d department, they are spending more money on lawyers than on the actual product development. The whole moto we are into great products and that's what we focus upon seems to have gone down the drain, at least in terms of how much money they invest in actual research and development.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
what about apple ?
Sharp could a good alternative to LG's displays to avoid some problems like the white stains on some iMac models

LG is used in almost every desktop display above the $500 mark. They were never the best, but some of the others got out when pricing forced margins down a few years ago. If they aren't working in some of these designs, Apple should have either looked for a new supplier or looked at ways to design around the problems years ago. Do not assume that display behavior is 100% what you get from the panel vendor. It is to a large degree, yet implementation still matters. New tech is likely to have problems of its own anyway. Beside that how do you know if it will show up quickly in larger displays. The biggest advantage would be mobile devices. Whenever I read about IGZO, the big talking point is always power consumption.

This is so funny to see how Samsung just boost all its competitors by ****ing Apple.

Now TMSC has brand new factories and a new one under the way and Sharp that should be dead is backed up by all Apple and Qualcomm. They were all lagging behind and almost dead, and now they are full of money.

GJ Samsung. You should have wait a little more before stealing the 3GS and 4 design to get it right.

You really shouldn't take these articles as absolute truth. Samsung's primary display investments at the moment seem to be in flexible displays. If Apple was looking at Sharp for their technology, it's unlikely that it has anything to do with Samsung unless they're hired for production capacity only.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Buh bye!

Sharp is viewed as a critical partner for Apple as the iPhone maker seeks to lessen its reliance on Samsung

Buh bye there Samsung. Hellooooooo Sharp!

Apple will soon make the best telephone of anybody.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
No no no. A couple weeks back it was made known that apple had invested millions if not 1 billion in sharp. This is the second investment by another company for sharp recently.

Interesting. But your math is suspect here. You may need to do more research on this topic.

:apple:

----------

How do you explain 2 billion dollars missing?

Now it's 2 billion? And why is it "missing"? I think we are all a little confused by your statement. Please clarify.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
They also had quality issues with (IIRC) iPad-intended displays a year ago, and Apple stayed with LG/Samsung. Perhaps money can fix that kind of problem, too.

Yes, production has been Sharps achilles heal for a long time, good product but low yields. This is what a good deal of the Apple money was spent on I guess as they finally got the yields necessary to start supplying Apple towards the end autumn this year.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
With the money they got they can bail out 10 sharps, not one, they should have already done so then, I don't see why they haven't. It's all good and well to squeeze out your suppliers because you make hip products and most of the people who actually design and manufacture and bring new technologies to market are in such a tight spot right now financially.

I intensely dislike how they wait for others to come up with the tech, and spend gazillions of dollars into developing it and possible go under in the process, and if they find a tech that suits them later on, shamelessly present it as some kind of their own achievement. There are quite a few of very interesting, quite revolutionary display technologies floundering due to lack of money e-ink (not doing that badly actually but struggling along), mirasol, pixel qi...you know how much money apple has invested in any of them, ZERO.
So next time they bring out a new ipad or iphone with a great screen, and they start touting their innovation, some would be right to tell them, wait a second, you didn't do **** to develop what you are now repackaging and selling...

Meanwhile it's now a well known fact that apple's legal department has a bigger budget than their r and d department, they are spending more money on lawyers than on the actual product development. The whole moto we are into great products and that's what we focus upon seems to have gone down the drain, at least in terms of how much money they invest in actual research and development.

heh heh, do you understand what you wrote or what business Apple is in? Apple is not a components supplier and they are not in LCD businesss. They run a horizontal development organization. They pick and choose different technologies from different supplier and pay for the cost of being the first one to use the technology. Iphone 5 use the in cell touch screen technology and Ipad mini use the GF2 technology. In both case Apple has to pay dearly in per unit cost and schedule. Samsung is the only one in mobile space that run a vertical development organization where they develop most of their component. They have more control on the features, cost and schedule of the new components. But they run the risk of picking the wrong technology to pursue and bear the cost of development delay. All other smart phone companies and PC companies like Dell or HP all run a version of the horizontal development process using technology developed by suppliers. What exactly is your beef about Apple pick and choose the new technology from the suppliers chain?

Apple doesn't want to own Sharp because they have no idea what will Sharp do after IGZO. How do you know that Apple spend more money on legal as compare to R&D? Apple never breaks out the legal legal cost..

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
Interesting. But your math is suspect here. You may need to do more research on this topic.

----------

Now it's 2 billion? And why is it "missing"? I think we are all a little confused by your statement. Please clarify.

Lol read the story and stop wasting my time. :rolleyes:

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
heh heh, do you understand what you wrote or what business Apple is in? Apple is not a components supplier and they are not in LCD businesss. They run a horizontal development organization. They pick and choose different technologies from different supplier and pay for the cost of being the first one to use the technology. Iphone 5 use the in cell touch screen technology and Ipad mini use the GF2 technology. In both case Apple has to pay dearly in per unit cost and schedule. Samsung is the only one in mobile space that run a vertical development organization where they develop most of their component. They have more control on the features, cost and schedule of the new components. But they run the risk of picking the wrong technology to pursue and bear the cost of development delay. All other smart phone companies and PC companies like Dell or HP all run a version of the horizontal development process using technology developed by suppliers. What exactly is your beef about Apple pick and choose the new technology from the suppliers chain?

Apple doesn't want to own Sharp because they have no idea what will Sharp do after IGZO. How do you know that Apple spend more money on legal as compare to R&D? Apple never breaks out the legal legal cost..
This has been well documented, that they spend more on their legal team than on their r&d from their financial results. Google it. I would gladly post a link to it myself but I am at work and I don't have that much time at hand.

I know very well what line of business apple is in. They should not be taking credit and patting themselves on the back for the inventions of others. Wow we stuck samsung's and lg's great displays on the ipad, aren't WE great? No you are not, you are mainly good at thinning things up for no particular reason lately. Dell and HP don't pat themselves in the back or release a marketing machine about how great they are that they stuck other people's components there. Apple's just waiting for technologies to mature so they can appropriate them marketing wise. How about putting some actual money from that hundreds of billions of dollars stash into some emerging technology and taking the risk (as so many others are doing) that it goes nowhere or doesn't meet mass production criteria? If they don't put their money were their mouth is I can have little respect for them. On the other hand I have the greatest of respect for those who actually do take huge risks to bring something completely new technologically to the market, and most of them go under.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
But now that samsung has showed them the finder, and rightly so after apple's litigation machine went after them, all we have are 3 year old lg panels in the new imacs, and lg panels with rampant image retention problems on the retina macbook pro (actually there's probably not a single lg panel without image retention), to which of course apple has replied that it's "natural" for lcd displays... as if somehow all of a sudden lcds became plasma screens or crt's...but in apple's world they did apparently as a less than perfect way to avoid another -gate, the retention-gate...

Hitachi and Mitsubishi both made excellent panel designs. Neither is in it anymore. I think margins became too slim. LCD panels have exhibited image persistence in the past. If you google it using those terms, you'll find it. White papers always called it image "persistence" not "retention". The latter would turn up more recent results related to these products, especially on Apple's discussion boards. The 24" imac and some of the earlier cinema displays were notorious for developing image persistence. You'd get things like application names that would show up forever. This is the first thing I've seen exhibit major problems early on. With most of those problems showed up much later.

Buh bye there Samsung. Hellooooooo Sharp!

Apple will soon make the best telephone of anybody.

I wouldn't get too excited until we see Sharp versions that are relatively problem free.

I know very well what line of business apple is in. They should not be taking credit and patting themselves on the back for the inventions of others. Wow we stuck samsung's and lg's great displays on the ipad, aren't WE great? No you are not, you are mainly good at thinning things up for no particular reason lately. Dell and HP don't pat themselves in the back or release a marketing machine about how great they are that they stuck other people's components there.

Implementation of such technology can also make a difference. Apple has mostly gone with fairly generic implementations. These could have been reference builds in terms of parts, yet there are display manufacturers that add a lot of their own technology to the panel tech. What primarily annoys me is that people on here will credit Apple with success yet push the blame off onto individual component vendors when they experience problems. They aren't customers of LG or Samsung.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Makes sense. Qualcomm needs innovative and quality phones on the market to drive sales of their chipsets. Great idea.

Qualcomm has been involved with unusual display technologies for years --- look up something called mirasol. This is not new for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.