Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old May 7, 2013, 02:33 PM   #1
noahmateen1234
macrumors member

Buying 3rd party charger

What do you guys think about buying a 3rd party charger to use when I bring my laptop to the library or wherever (college student)? Anyone have any experience with them?

This is the one I was looking at.
http://www.amazon.com/JIONNEWTECH-Re...I2PHSM1F99MNRS

The reason being that I want a 2nd, is because at my house I have an external monitor, keyboard,mouse, laptop stand and all the cords are nicely organized and hidden and it'd be a paint to constantly have to take my charger.
Old May 7, 2013, 03:14 PM   #2
errol
macrumors 6502

I looked at the reviews of some of the replacement charger models. A lot of them appear to fail. It might be better just to get the real thing.
errol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 04:32 PM   #3
2IS
macrumors 68020

How much does a genuine Apple adapter cost? If it's like $20 more, I'd say just buy the real thing. If it's $50 more i'd take my chances with the aftermarket one.
2IS is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 05:53 PM   #4
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

I would get one just because am curious. But seems like new item so no long term review am afraid.

I kinda don't like Apple's cables, they have a rubbery feel. I believe the rubber makes it more sweat resistant but I don't like it anyways. If the new plug comes with plastic-like cable I'd want to see how it holds up.

+1 for the item, they disclose is -0.5v and -0.1 amp differential vs original. My engineering degree says it doesn't matter but is good that they told you so.

Anywhoo, ur $, your risk.
Old May 7, 2013, 08:18 PM   #5
stchman
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
I've seen genuine Apple MBA chargers on ebay for like $50. I bought one a while back for my 2012 MBA as a spare and got it NIB for $46.
stchman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 09:58 PM   #6
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to Senseotech
I've heard nothing but bad things about 3rd party magsafe chargers, ranging from best case where the charger just doesn't work, to the worst case where the adapter brick melted, the computer end heated to the point of melting the older plastic macbooks, up to frying the whole machine and almost starting a house fire.
Senseotech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 10:46 PM   #7
2IS
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senseotech View Post
I've heard nothing but bad things about 3rd party magsafe chargers, ranging from best case where the charger just doesn't work, to the worst case where the adapter brick melted, the computer end heated to the point of melting the older plastic macbooks, up to frying the whole machine and almost starting a house fire.
It's kind of ridiculous to say the best thing you've ever heard is that they don't work. I doubt this is true, but if it is, there are 5 reviews for the product listed and none of them are negative.
2IS is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air