Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:57 PM   #1
eightsheep
macrumors newbie

Unhappy video card and audio driver problem on EFI booting Windows 8

I installed windows 8 x64 on my retina MacBook pro then installed bootcamp drivers. Most thing work fine except keys on the top of the keyboard lose functions, no output and input audio devices...... and that the bootcamp driver can make the NVidia video card work really surprised me.

but most unbearable thing is that with bootcamp's NVidia driver(ver296), after I setting "do nothing when I close the lid" in power options the screen won't shut down when I close the lid.( actually it's not EFI's fault, it happened in the previous bootcamp windows 8)

In previous bootcamp windows, I updated to latest NVidia drivers like 304.79 modded, 306.02, 306.23 and there was no problem anymore. But in EFI booting Windows 8, I tried all the other versions of NVidia drivers and it turned out to be black screen after reboot.

I don't know what caused black screen, and after I delete NVidia sys file in windows/system32/drivers, everything back to normal.

I have external speakers so I am not in hurry for audio driver. But the close-the-lid thing really drive me crazy. Anyone can help me how to solve the problem or tell me how to install newer driver without black screen?

ThX
eightsheep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:03 AM   #2
kkrull
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsheep View Post
the screen won't shut down when I close the lid.( actually it's not EFI's fault, it happened in the previous bootcamp windows 8)
Interesting. I have had occasional black screen issues requiring reboot after closing the lid. This is getting to be pretty rare though. I would more prefer the audio fix. I asked on our thread here if anyone shares your screen issues...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1427082&page=2

Also, have you tried hdmi audio? Mine works fine.

Last edited by kkrull; Nov 27, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
kkrull is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:39 PM   #3
AnonMac50
macrumors 65816

There are a few issues that need to be sorted out with EFI booting. A friend of mine and I set up Windows 8 on his iMac through EFI, and it worked perfectly minus the audio, which didn't work at all.
AnonMac50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac