Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
So I have this yellow tint creeping up from the bottom of my screen to about 1/4 or 1/2 of the screen. Now this isn't my first iPad and I don't really want to return it Again so I'm here to ask some questions. Does anyone know what causes the tint to be unevenly tinted?
Also worth noticing my screen was overall pretty yellow at the beginning and I've done the towel trick for probably over 3 days total and while it fixed most of the overall yellowness the bottom of my screen has stayed the same the last so many hours. So it's most probably not adhesive which isn't dried up yet.
Something I also found out is that as the screen heats the bottom becomes whiter.

Last edited:

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Does it change with the angle that youre looking at the screen? pretty sure it won't go away. I returned one with a similar yellow tint issue for another, but the replacement had really strong pink tint across the entire screen. It was evenly tinted, but the strong pinks really made it more difficult to read text because blacks looked gray and whites looked pink. I returned that for one more, which is still slightly toward pink but much better. Blacks are good and whites are more white.

At least the screen is completely even now.

I think you need to decide what your willing to live with. You could get something better or something worse. Something tinted worse or with debris under the screen. Maybe the home button is loose.

I originally bought a 16 gb mini with a perfect screen and perfect everything, but decided that I wanted a 32, which started this whole thing. If I knew it was going to be a lottery, I would have just kept the 16gb.

Could I keep returning this until I get the perfect one? I guess. This actually made me look closely across all my other tablets, monitors and phones, and I see now that they are all just different and actually have their own subtle flaws that I overlooked because I was actually using them as devices instead of obsessing over imperfections because they weren't Apple. I know we want the perfect apple product, but I'm just going to enjoy this one because it could be worse.

If you are still within your return period, you dont have much to lose. I do prefer the bluer tinted screens myself, but I'm not going to return a bunch to get one again. I am glad I did my last return though. Besides being slightly toward red than blue, it's perfect; evenly tinted, no nicks, no debris under the glass, solid home button.

Last edited:

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I don't have the mini, but I purchased 3 iPad 4s that all had yellow tints on various parts of the screen. My 4th has a "warmer" screen but no yellow and I'm very happy with it. I would return your mini if I were you. You will not be happy with it if it is bothering you now and there are good screens, if not "perfect" ones out there.

fenjen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Does it change with the angle that youre looking at the screen? pretty sure it won't go away. I returned one with a similar yellow tint issue for another, but the replacement had really strong pink tint across the entire screen. It was evenly tinted, but the strong pinks really made it more difficult to read text because blacks looked gray and whites looked pink. I returned that for one more, which is still slightly toward pink but much better. Blacks are good and whites are more white.

At least the screen is completely even now.

I think you need to decide what your willing to live with. You could get something better or something worse. Something tinted worse or with debris under the screen. Maybe the home button is loose.

I originally bought a 16 gb mini with a perfect screen and perfect everything, but decided that I wanted a 32, which started this whole thing. If I knew it was going to be a lottery, I would have just kept the 16gb.

Could I keep returning this until I get the perfect one? I guess. This actually made me look closely across all my other tablets, monitors and phones, and I see now that they are all just different and actually have their own subtle flaws that I overlooked because I was actually using them as devices instead of obsessing over imperfections because they weren't Apple. I know we want the perfect apple product, but I'm just going to enjoy this one because it could be worse.

If you are still within your return period, you dont have much to lose. I do prefer the bluer tinted screens myself, but I'm not going to return a bunch to get one again. I am glad I did my last return though. Besides being slightly toward red than blue, it's perfect; evenly tinted, no nicks, no debris under the glass, solid home button.

Well I've returned many many iPad before these (first one had a majort even pink tint like yours and the others all had dust under the screen) so I really don't want to return it.
And yeah the tint kinda goes away when you rotate the screen upwards.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
My first iPad 3 had this issue. When held in portrait orientation, the bottom 1/4 of the screen had a strange orange on left to pink on right hue in the white range. It was very unnerving and after telling myself I can live with it for 4 months, I finally took it in to the Apple store to get it swapped out.

At first the Genius said he didn't see what I was talking about, but I explained I notice it in dark environments only, not bright like the Apple Store. He said he was sure I had a legit reason to stop in that day so he graciously swapped me out for a new (refurbed) iPad 3. Luckily the new one is flawless, even has a longer lasting battery and doesn't seem to run as hot as the other one I traded in. It's strange how I didn't notice these other things on the one I traded in until I got a flawless swapped iPad 3!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.