Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Why is the iPhone 4 super overpriced ?
When the new iPod Touch that has bigger screen...better processor..more GB and better camera cost way less..

It is also crazy how the iPad Mini cost $329.99 but at the same time it has a bigger screen and HD facetime camera.

It's so stupid...think of it this way
Having iPod touch 5G with a flip phone tape in the back of the ipod as a phone
that could cost $20 for prepaid..and not only that no contract and monthly payment will only be $30-50

But yep I hope this makes sense...and lets not even go there with the iPhone 5

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Most will argue you or disagree but you make very good points.

It's a bit silly but Apple (and any other OEM) can do it because of the large amounts of money unlocked/off-contract phones go for even when they are 3 years old.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
When the new iPod Touch that has bigger screen...better processor..more GB and better camera cost way less..

Then buy an iPod.

But oh, wait...everyone want cellular connectivity? Well, I guess that's the difference and apparently it matters to people. And you've just discovered exactly how much it's worth to them.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
It's just the way customers have come to see phones.

By charging super expensive unlocked prices it makes the phone manufacturer LOADS when a person chooses to do so, while at the same time networks buy lots to sell to customers for much less (so the customer sees them as a 'bargain') making zillions off phone contracts.

Google is trying to change it with the cheap Nexus 4 unlocked price, but it probably won't change for a while if it does.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
It is also crazy how the iPad Mini cost $329.99 but at the same time it has a bigger screen and HD facetime camera.

I think that is the reason Apple should come out with a lower priced iPhone. I feel that for $450 Apple could sell a phone better than the iPhone 4. They could apply some of the minor design improvements they have made over the years to make the phone better without increasing the cost. Instead we have the same iPhone 4 that came out in 2010 with no changes selling for $450.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

It's so stupid...think of it this way
Having iPod touch 5G with a flip phone tape in the back of the ipod as a phone
that could cost $20 for prepaid..and not only that no contract and monthly payment will only be $30-50

But yep I hope this makes sense...and lets not even go there with the iPhone 5

And laptops are more expensive than better specked desktops, if you don't understand why that is I'm not sure anyone here can help you.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
Seriously this has been discussed a million times ever since the very first iphone and ipod touch came out!

And the answer is no cellular connectivity, convenience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.