Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
If Apple wants to win, there is one simple solution. Win the bid for the NFL package which expires after the 2014 season and DirecTV has stated they no longer want. The NFL package, by far, is the biggest sport jewel you can get. Apple gets that, and they will sell at least 10 million ATV devices in a month, plus a share of the $300 a year price.

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
If Apple wants to win, there is one simple solution. Win the bid for the NFL package which expires after the 2014 season and DirecTV has stated they no longer want. The NFL package, by far, is the biggest sport jewel you can get. Apple gets that, and they will sell at least 10 million ATV devices in a month, plus a share of the $300 a year price.
They aren't going to make it exclusive anymore, it's going to be available on every provider who wants to carry it.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
They aren't going to make it exclusive anymore, it's going to be available on every provider who wants to carry it.

You never know what some big company may do. For now DirecTV chose not to bid again, so the NFL will offer it to others. However, if Apple, Amazon, or someone else offer a huge wad of money for exclusive rights, the NFL may change their tune. It still has 2 years to go under the current contract, so a lot may change.

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
You never know what some big company may do. For now DirecTV chose not to bid again, so the NFL will offer it to others. However, if Apple, Amazon, or someone else offer a huge wad of money for exclusive rights, the NFL may change their tune. It still has 2 years to go under the current contract, so a lot may change.
For the sake of the NFL I hope they don't. The quality would be terrible streaming online compared to what you get with cable or satellite. I just don't see apple going this route. I think they will try to throw their weight into getting all the channels onto an apple tv like device before they would try to target the NFL only. The problem is getting all the deals made. These corporations won't let go of the old cable model until it no longer becomes profitable.

richman555

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
Collegeville, PA
I've owned every iteration of the Apply TV and there is absolutely no reason to wait to buy one.

The biggest argument had always been that it didn't support 1080p HD content... and now with ATV 3 it does.

Simply for $99 you can't go wrong.

As for the NFL Sunday ticket argument, the quality would be just fine dependent on your internet connection speed. I watch many MLB games with no issues at all.

:)

nosnhojm

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
It's also a safe bet to assume any new apple product will have the faster 802.11ac wireless. So if a new Apple TV does come out in the future it will probably have 802.11ac.

I disagree. The Apple TV does not saturate 802.11n as-is (streaming 1080p content only requires ~5 Mbps, while 802.11n provides 300+ Mbps), so why include a more expensive component that would increase the price of the device? This is the same reason why the Apple TV has a 10/100 ethernet port instead of a gigabit ethernet port.

BeachChair

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
The risk in buying an Apple TV is about the lowest you can get. Even if an upgrade comes out, you can still use the ATV3 somewhere else in the house as a Netflix device, or Airplay receiver.

If not, you can sell it on Ebay or Craigslist for a minor loss.

Just buy it, there is no way you are ever gonna regret it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.