Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 7, 2013, 05:00 PM   #51
pdutta2000
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HidingAmatanth View Post
I may well be reading the original post wrong, but I don't think the problem is wanting the phone replaced because of cosmetic problems. It's that Apple is using cosmetic problems as an excuse not to fix/replace phones that have real hardware issues.

Would a single report start an investigation? In all likelihood, no. But reports do get logged and it is possible for an investigation to happen if they get enough with a common theme.

I was on the phone with Apple and AT&T for over 12 hours a little over a week ago. No one wanted to claim fault for my phone arriving bent. After all that time I was told to file a claim with FedEx. I told them if I was going to file anything at that point, it would be with the Florida Consumer Board.

Instantaneously I was informed I could exchange my phone at the Apple store of my choice.
Finally!! Someone is reading the original post correctly.
pdutta2000 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 06:57 PM   #52
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HidingAmatanth View Post
I had the original iPhone and just "upgraded" from a 3Gs. I cannot remember hearing anywhere near the issues for those two as I have heard for iPhone 5.
The 3G/3GS phones were prone to plastic cracking around the dock connector and microphone/speaker openings. The white ones would turn a little brown in places due to heat.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 05:10 AM   #53
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdutta2000 View Post
Finally!! Someone is reading the original post correctly.
We really can't be sure, since the OP hasn't come back and the original post is so awkwardly worded. It makes sense that someone wants his iPhone replaced because the finish worn off, and likewise apple refusing this, as its considered wear and tear
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 07:12 AM   #54
AFDoc
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton63841 View Post
Note to self... Never buy iPhone 5. I've done a lot of metal work and work with shops that handle anodization, and it is most certainly NOT normal if done right. If it chips, then it is blatantly being done wrong. If it wears off that easily, then the anodized layer is far too thin.
How deep do you think the anodizing can go on such a thin walled device? Certainly not industrial deep, so of course the ano will wear faster. People's expectations are unrealistic sometimes OR they're simply ignorant on the subject of anodizing.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 08:03 AM   #55
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Well just looking from a customer service point of view, you engineers work out the technical details.
But it would be the same as with the water indicator. There will be warranty repairs refused because of this indicator, and customers will swear that the phone never got wet / never was dropped, and nobody knows whether they tell the truth, or whether a "friend" used the phone in the shower or dropped it without telling the owner, or whether they are lying.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 08:14 AM   #56
Dalton63841
macrumors 65816
 
Dalton63841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SEMO, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
How deep do you think the anodizing can go on such a thin walled device? Certainly not industrial deep, so of course the ano will wear faster. People's expectations are unrealistic sometimes OR they're simply ignorant on the subject of anodizing.
That's the point though isn't it... If you can't anodize it properly on a device handled as often as a phone, then pick a different finish.
__________________
mid-2009 13" Macbook Pro, 2.26Ghz, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD
Dalton63841 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:03 AM   #57
AFDoc
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton63841 View Post
That's the point though isn't it... If you can't anodize it properly on a device handled as often as a phone, then pick a different finish.
It's done properly, it simply isn't realistic to expect a deep anodized finish on such a thin walled device. I have the white i5 but the black mini i and the finish is pristine on that except for the areas that impacted the body s/p dropping and my kids are using that most of the time. IF you don't take steps to protect the finish i.e. covering with skins ect you should expect normal wear. IF there were defects with anodizing when unboxed, then that is on the consumer for not pointing that fact out right away and requesting another phone OR returning that phone and getting a new one.

Like I said, people's expectations r/t anodizing are unrealistic. That can either be from ignorance or stupidity. Luckily ignorance can be cured..... http://www.ablcomponents.co.uk/anodi...-anodisers.htm
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:06 AM   #58
0r30
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Houston
try another apple store
__________________
rMBP 15"
Ipad 1 64GB JB
Ipad Air 16GB JB
Iphone 5s 64gb
0r30 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:06 AM   #59
Dalton63841
macrumors 65816
 
Dalton63841's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SEMO, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
It's done properly, it simply isn't realistic to expect a deep anodized finish on such a thin walled device. I have the white i5 but the black mini i and the finish is pristine on that except for the areas that impacted the body s/p dropping and my kids are using that most of the time. IF you don't take steps to protect the finish i.e. covering with skins ect you should expect normal wear. IF there were defects with anodizing when unboxed, then that is on the consumer for not pointing that fact out right away and requesting another phone OR returning that phone and getting a new one.

Like I said, people's expectations r/t anodizing are unrealistic. That can either be from ignorance or stupidity. Luckily ignorance can be cured..... http://www.ablcomponents.co.uk/anodi...-anodisers.htm
Thanks but I don't need the link. I am very familiar with the anodizing process, and like I said before, if they can't anodize it good enough for a lasting finish, then they should have chosen a different finish.
__________________
mid-2009 13" Macbook Pro, 2.26Ghz, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD
Dalton63841 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:18 AM   #60
AFDoc
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton63841 View Post
Thanks but I don't need the link. I am very familiar with the anodizing process, and like I said before, if they can't anodize it good enough for a lasting finish, then they should have chosen a different finish.
You may not but many do. What's YOUR def of lasting? I feel the finish is very durable. You seem to expect industrial anodizing thickness on such a thin walled device, and THAT simply isn't realistic. Maybe YOU need to change your expectations or buy a different device..... OR protect the device you now have.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:48 AM   #61
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Xanadu
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
We really can't be sure, since the OP hasn't come back and the original post is so awkwardly worded. It makes sense that someone wants his iPhone replaced because the finish worn off, and likewise apple refusing this, as its considered wear and tear
This. ^^

When the OP abandons a rant post I just assume they were blowing off steam as a result of their own frustration and are too embarrassed to return & reply.

Regardless. Apple Care+ $49 replacement. Game over. Either you take advantage of the accidental damage and the extra year of warranty for $99 at the point of purchase or inside of 30 days or you don't. That would be the FTC opening argument and then everybody would go out to lunch. Case closed in 3 mins.
__________________
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock
SpyderBite is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 01:10 PM   #62
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020
 
sulpfiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philadelphia Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijowysock View Post
i'll make sure to leave my apple products at home in their original packaging instead of using them/touching them/so forth.

you must work for apple, i will put $100 down... that if i asked 5 random people to view their iphone that at least 40% of them would have "shiny edges"... unless of course they have had a case on phone since inception.

also my car analogy was perfect, my anodizing is faded..... therefore my entire phone warranty is void... (not related to eachother)



as far as e-arguments... you win.. because you're clearly a genius... i'll continue living my life as a failure and leaving my apple products at home because they do not warranty anything having to do with the phone, they might as well not even have a warranty on product with their disclaimers.

heaven forbid we have earthquakes here.. because the earthquake event itself affects my warranty according to apple... so if i have battery issues after being in an earthquake... warranty is done/nil/fin/voided! does this mean everyone in norcal has a voided iphone warranty due to random tremors?

I've had the exact opposite experience any time I've ever had an issue.

And I cant imagine apple voiding a warranty because of "worn anodizing" on the corners. Its easy to spot the difference between anodizing that has been worn off over time, and anodizing that gets removed due to trauma (aka dropping, etc). So if what you say is true, I would just try another store. Maybe you just caught someone on a bad day. And I don't think it's a widespread pattern either. Apple is very fair with their warranty.
sulpfiction is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 01:18 PM   #63
sundog925
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
wow.

cant believe i just read that whole thing.

all i gotta say is WOW, and i thought i liked to bitch about innocuous things.

the OP really should just get a plastic android phone, same $600 price tag, less hassles.

but he wont. he'll probably stick with apple and get the 5S or 6 or w/e the hell its going to be, and we can all meet back here in 3 months tops.
sundog925 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 01:22 PM   #64
Brian Y
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
How a typical MacRumors troll post pans out:

1) Op posts a thread with a sup'ed up title, usually involving some kind of intervening body.

2) People fight back.

3) Op attacks everyone who doesn't agree with his/her apple hating, saying they work for Apple (because everybody on the internet who doesn't bash Apple must be Apple - amiright?).

4) Ops argument is picked apart, piece by piece.

5) Op seemingly disappears from thread.

How to internet? Simples. Just repeat steps 1-5.
Brian Y is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 01:45 PM   #65
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
How a typical MacRumors troll post pans out:

1) Op posts a thread with a sup'ed up title, usually involving some kind of intervening body.

2) People fight back.

3) Op attacks everyone who doesn't agree with his/her apple hating, saying they work for Apple (because everybody on the internet who doesn't bash Apple must be Apple - amiright?).

4) Ops argument is picked apart, piece by piece.

5) Op seemingly disappears from thread.

How to internet? Simples. Just repeat steps 1-5.
Seriously, with in the first few hours of the post he personally attacked me because of my user name and completely discredited anything I said because of my user name and I am a so-called "fan boy". The mods quickly deleted the posts, but it was just completely ridiculous.
__________________
iMac 21.5", 2.7 i5 Quad, 8GB, 1TB; 11" MBA 1.7 i5, 4GB, 64GB; Black 64GB 3G iPad 2; Space Grey 32GB iPhone 5S; Red 8GB iPod Nano 5G, and ATV 3
Mlrollin91 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 02:34 PM   #66
Consultant
macrumors G5
 
Consultant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I can't tell from the original post (its very awkwardly composed) but is he getting denied service because the finished rubbed off or there's other visible damage, i.e., dents or cracks?
In his previous post (locked due to thread going off topic), he noted the Genius diagnosed his iPhone 5 as out of warranty due to:
"Device had indentation and markings from drop"
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1541612
Consultant is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 04:12 PM   #67
jrswizzle
macrumors 601
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
My original iPhone 5 had some scuffs and a dent where I had dropped it once. Took it in because of dead pixel issues (that some may not have cared about, but it bothered me) and they replaced it on the spot no questions asked.

My experience with Apple customer service has never been anything but stellar.
__________________
"Innovation, my ass!" -Phil Schiller

Nexus 5 | iPhone 5S, 5C | Lumia 520 |iPad rMini, Air | Kindle Fire 7" HDX
jrswizzle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 05:03 PM   #68
jcpb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
In his previous post (locked due to thread going off topic), he noted the Genius diagnosed his iPhone 5 as out of warranty due to:
"Device had indentation and markings from drop"
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1541612
Release the hounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thread.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	422120  
__________________
15" MBPR 2.7/16/512 | 4S 64gb white | iPod 5G 64gb blue | GS4 16+64gb white + ZeroLemon 7500
jcpb is offline   3 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does Apple TV work with "many" devices troutspinner Apple TV and Home Theater 6 Jan 6, 2014 02:43 PM
Need help setting "home" and "work" locations correctly dk143 iOS 6 4 Jun 23, 2013 07:03 PM
How Does Apple's "Free Upgrade" Program Work? KieranDotW OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 5 Jun 11, 2012 10:07 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC